Private Tutor

richchin

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for a one-on-one language tutor?

I scouted around a few days ago. Found everthing from THB 400 - 5,000 per hour (!!!). The 400 rate is for teaching only and you would have to part with THB 100 for transport (bus or train or taxi) for the teacher to get to your house. Did not ask whether transport is included in the 5,000 thing.

Also, does anyone have a good tutor to introduce?

No. Have been taking trial lessons and found them not appropriate. However, there is a recommendation in the thread I started two weeks ago, should be below here in the forum. (Have not tried it yet, but will once I am back to Bangkok).

I just started private sessions with a woman named Khun Jee. She spent 5 years with Jentana Associates before going out on her own so she has a very good background. She was recommended to me by someone else on Thai Visa. Her rates are 6,500 baht for 10 lessons of 90 minutes each; she comes to my apartment so I don't have to travel. I was attending the Unity Thai Language school but it wasn't working for me. I've only had 2 lessons but, so far, I'm very pleased; she is willing to go at a pace I'm comfortable with plus she has the patience of a saint given my ability to repeatedly mangle the tones.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you her phone number.