Transferring a Thai visa after renewing a British passport

Another money saving move on the part of the British Embassy.

It appears that from the 1st June 2023, the British Embassy, and assumably VFS, are no longer issuing letters for replacement passport holders to give to Immigration requesting the transfer of their current 'temporary permission to stay' stamp(s) to their new passport.

According to the British Embassy website concerning notarial and services guide for Thailand https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-a-thia-visa   Immigration Offices in Thailand are able to transfer a Thai visa to a new British passport without the embassy issuing a visa transfer letter. Apparently, if you face any difficulties transferring your visa, you can download an Information Note (PDF, 506 KB, 2 pages) to hand to your nearest Immigration office.

I wonder if anyone has told our local IOs?  Best of luck.

Information_Note_Visa_transfer_to_new_passport.pdf

• Like 2

Yea...more embassies are stopping the issue of the letters.  The US Embassy stopped on 10 Apr 2023 as talked in below US Embassy Bangkok webpage....the webpage also gives a link to a US Embassy letter a person can download which explains the situation in English and Thai.....can give the letter to any Thai Immigration office who didn't get the memo about more foreign embassies stopping the issue of the letter.   

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/Notification-of-cessation-of-linkage-letters.pdf

image.png.1acb6fb4f90a46edcc02ceb423705694.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

My embassy (EU-country) didn't provide a letter, in fact adamantly refused to provide one, saying the IOs had been warned and if difficulties occured I should tell them to call the embassy.

The visa agency called someone on the phone (probably a contact in Immigration), then told me "with [name of my country] ok without letter". The transfer indeed went through without a letter. It seems embassies have had their way.

Some embassies (eg Germany) will still provide a letter for a fee though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Last time I did it, it was free and I heard recently that it still is.

Indeed it is.

Folk need to be aware that stamps can only be transferred at immigration office where they were issued..

Also there is no super urgency to attend immigration for transfer of information (visa) and stamps to new pp.

Do that at your convenience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed it is.

Folk need to be aware that stamps can only be transferred at immigration office where they were issued..

Also there is no super urgency to attend immigration for transfer of information (visa) and stamps to new pp.

Do that at your convenience. 

Agree, In fact no need until you have to attend immigration again, for whatever reason, they do not know when you received a new passport, or care.

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good to see some unnecessary bureaucracy being done away with.  Another saving for the UK tax payer ????

Always been a variable, I didn't need a letter when I last renewed passport in 2014.