Global gender gap index reports rise in Thailand’s educational attainment

webfact

image.png

Thailand has significantly improved on gender parity in the category of educational attainment, ranked 61st, up from 92nd last year, as reported in Global Gender Gap Report 2023. With this improvement, the country’s overall position is now 74th.

The Global Gender Gap Index, by the World Economic Forum, annually evaluates the current state and benchmarks of evolution in gender parity across four key areas, economic participation and opportunity, educational attainment, health and survival and political empowerment, with long-term tracking of countries’ efforts towards closing gender gaps over time since 2006.

In this latest edition, assessment of 146 economies indicates that no one fully achieved gender parity. The overall scores globally, however, rose to 68.4% from 68.1% compared to last year. Despite of the improvement in global scores, the overall rate of change is slowing down.

AFP PHOTO / Nicolas ASFOURI

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/global-gender-gap-index-reports-rise-in-thailands-educational-attainment/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

When my woman and daughter attended university it was about 90% female + a few gay guys.

Almost ZERO heterosexual men.

The full story doesn't explain what they mean by 'gender parity'.

Numbers of students? exam results?

Nonsense story!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When my woman and daughter attended university it was about 90% female + a few gay guys.

Nonsense story!

Nonsensical, but fashionable....

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Nonsensical, but fashionable....

As a largely ignored writer I always check the credits at the end of TV series/movies. To fulfil my ambitions, I realise I will need to cease being male; old; white.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nonsense story!

guess they didn't studied engineering?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I disagree. To prove my point; Kasetsart University (Largest in Thailand) awarded 12,945 undergraduate degrees but admitted 16,403 new undergraduate students (78.9%). A 20+% 'Failure rate.' Kasetsart University in Thailand - US News Best Global Universities

I'm betting most of the 'failures' only failed to pay their fees.

• Haha 2

Just now, rbkk said:

That must be very hard to do with the "Buy Now, Pay Later" scheme available to most Thais! https://www.studentloan.or.th/en/home

I think you'll find the student loans are only available to Thais whose high school teachers have listed their family as 'poor' (live in a shack and no car). It was certainly never available to the 'poor' children I took in.

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you'll find the student loans are only available to Thais whose high school teachers have listed their family as 'poor' (live in a shack and no car). It was certainly never available to the 'poor' children I took in.

So therefore the poor have funding available and the rest don't require it because they have the means to pay for the fees themselves without Government assistance. Money/defaulting is not the issue as I see it. Failure is a factor. Edit: The lending criteria for Student Loans were eased recently to encompass more of the population. 

Edited by rbkk