How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

On 6/26/2023 at 8:10 AM, bogs smith said:

this is NOT a thai bashing thread, so please dont treat it as such. I am looking for advice on how to deal with these feelings that have sadly now crsytalized into something far worse than dislike for our 'hosts'.

You should try looking at it from their perspective. During the pandemic they could see much higher level of death in western countries and came to the simple conclusion that there was a much higher level of infection so became vary wary of being close to foreigners. That will be very difficult to get over.

I have also had the same experience since the pandemic but it will improve with time. I was in hospital last week and while waiting for the doctor all the nurses crowded round asking questions, just like they did in the past.

Learn to live with it, there are more important things to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well, where I live, we have many different nationalities I can't see any problems with racism.

Selective memory.

It is less than 60 years since someone of a different nationality in a prominent country wasn't allowed to dream. Another western country took a page out of that book.

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

During the pandemic they could see much higher level of death in western countries and came to the simple conclusion that there was a much higher level of infection so became vary wary of being close to foreigners

i think herein lies part of the problem. the fact that thais, more often than not go for the simplest conclusion/solution.

instead of reading and educating themselves properly they just go with whatever the news tells them.

an old thai acquaintance once told me that thai people generally do not like to read.

perhaps there is some truth to that..

Edited by bogs smith

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I agree with the OP 100% on the Thais treatment of us foreigners.

If other posters haven't noticed it, I would put that down to their powers of observation and lacking in awareness.

Lucky for me. I don't really care.

Dunno, I've been here over a year and yet to meet one Thai who was rude to me. Maybe because I leave a trail of money like rose petals when I walk down the street?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Maybe because I leave a trail of money like rose petals when I walk down the street?

I can't claim to be as impressive as all that, but I am really really ridiculously good looking... so I get by.  Well that and the rumour I started about only "looking" like a down and out hobo clown, but that I'm actually secret wealthy millionaire Hollywood director.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

Off-topic rans, flames and comments on moderation have been removed. Yes this OP is in the PUB, yet forum rules still do apply.

please close this thread pink mist. thanks.

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

He's one person. It's not appropriate to compare his experience with racism.

He's experiencing racism, so it's fine to discuss it as such.

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There are racist people in all countries, some more than others. That doesn't make the majority population racist.

I don't think anyone is saying it does.

Besides, how does anything you have said apply to my point that the OP is not experiencing being treated equally?

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

He's experiencing racism, so it's fine to discuss it as such.

IF thats what 'it' actually is. 

As the examples provided by the Op seem somewhat 'individual' I wonder if others of us would notice or experience the same behavior of those around us.

For example, while everyone has an 'off day'... I have primarily positive experiences of interactions with those around me, I wonder if I placed myself in the Ops shoes, i.e. in his area, I would encounter the same negative experiences or would the experience be somewhat different ?

As others have questioned - this could be about the 'vibe' given off. 

I've been to remote area's (albeit relatively temporarily) and have always had positive expreiences. 

Conversely, in heavily 'touristy' area's, there are occasions when I'm treated by people who appear not to 'like me' (foreigners), I suspect thats built on some previous negative experience or just their poor attitude... in an 'its them, not me manner' I just write that stuff off - It could be racism but its rare enough not to consider such attitudes representative of the general population. 

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I don't think anyone is saying it does.

Besides, how does anything you have said apply to my point that the OP is not experiencing being treated equally?

The Op now wants this thread closes because there have been plenty of people suggesting the issue is 'him' and not 'others' and he now seems to have been offended by some responses in this thread. 

That itself could imply the Op is particularly thin skinned, hence his negative interpretation of his encounters in Thailand. 

If this thread does get closed - Thanks to the Op for a good topic. It's been interesting to read how peoples experiences have differed so vastly. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/26/2023 at 10:27 AM, bogs smith said:

you may be right.

i kinda doubt it tho

Very good advice given to you - I have been here for more than 15 years and never have the experiences that you describe. Just relax and don't be so sensitive.

On occasion faring will get charged higher prices - which doesn't hurt me in any way.

• Thumbs Up 1

My honeymoon with Thailand ended years ago and I share your sentiments.

For me, it's just one of many halfway decent pretty spots on earth to live and comfortably within my budget to maintain a Western quality lifestyle. If I had "real' money I'd live in a $10m secluded beach mansion in the Bahamas or Hawaii and swim in clear blue waters with sea turtles every day. 

Having said that, every time I got back to West to my "home countries" (US & Germany) for a few weeks I realize I generally dislike the general populous there way more, and for different, in my mind more valid reasons.  So I truck on and apart from two fantastic close falang friends I drink with a few times a week, avoid most people altogether. Interaction with locals is limited to me handing over money for product or service, and friendly usually reciprocated quick smiles here and there, nothing beyond that. Works for me (and frankly, I think them too), I really don't give it another thought, and the dog gets lots of belly rubs. Doesn't make me an a-hole IMO.

The trick is to have loads of hobbies that don't involve other humans.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 1