COVID infections falling steadily, fewer fatalities over past month

webfact

4 minutes ago, Dan Rayong said:

Longtime we don't make any tests anymore here at home, and no longer wear masks. The Virus has changed and is no longer a threat 

People where you live aren't dying or going to hospital anymore?

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

This is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, which boils down to:

"Covid will never disappear because I will never get vaccinated".

More rubbish!

The only correct prophecy is .... "covid will never disappear, regardless of whether I get vaccinated or not"

• Like 2

Let's start with the most basic concept:

If the R number for any infectious disease drops below 0 in a population, the disease will disappear in that population.

Right?

Sorry wrong again pal as were your two mates with the like emojis,  More misinformation, how are you getting away with this ?

• Like 1

I guess the millions who died were deluded about the seriousness of Covid.

Another totally inaccurate statement,   Any links?  you are really on thin ice today

I think if you look you will soon find some statistics to back up the commonly held belief that the overwhelming majority of people who died from covid were Old, and infirm, or suffering from comorbidities. I don't remember that being deluded was cited as a contributory comorbidity

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

And yet we have seen Covid a few times evolve into fairly nasty variants in just the last 3 years.

It's almost as if you are ignoring reality because it conflicts with your worldview.

Well from what I have heard, each variation of covid was generally less deadly than the one before, were are you getting your info from ?  Your world view generally seems at odds with reality

1 hour ago, Dan Rayong said:

The Virus has changed and is no longer a threat 

Except to those who are still dying from COVID and ending up hospitalized with it.... and their friends, families, etc.

2096124495_24THWeeklyCOVIDreport202306-18to06-24.jpg.b6e5f2dd009093269983fc6221e18c3b.jpg

For the past week in Thailand, June 18-24:

--1,653 new hospitalizations due to COVID

--36 deaths due to COVID

--265 patients currently hospitalized in serious condition due to COVID

--164 COVID hospitalized patients unable to breathe and thus currently requiring intubation

Thus far in 2023, 27,645 total hospitalizations due to COVID, and 659 COVID deaths.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

In short, no, the current levels of COVID deaths and hospitalizations are not as high as they were earlier in the pandemic.

But that also doesn't mean the health risks and burdens associated with the pandemic have entirely disappeared, because as the chart above clearly shows, they have not.

By comparison to the latest weekly numbers above, the comparable figures for Thailand at the beginning of this past April were 3 COVID deaths and 167 COVID hospitalizations.

So current COVID hospitalizations and deaths in Thailand right now are running about TEN times higher than at the beginning of April.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

commonly held belief that the overwhelming majority of people who died from covid were Old, and infirm, or suffering from comorbidities.

But none of that means that their deaths were not caused by COVID....which in fact they were.

Lots of people walking around the world, and indeed posting here on this forum, who are older, have so-called comorbidities, etc., and most of them likely will continue living for many years.... absent some extraordinary event like a COVID pandemic coming along.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But none of that means that their deaths were not caused by COVID....which in fact they were.

I never suggested that they did not die from covid I contradicted another posters assertion that they died due to being deluded

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lots of people walking around the world, and indeed posting here on this forum, who are older, have so-called comorbidities, etc., and most of them likely will continue living for many years.... absent some extraordinary event like a COVID pandemic coming along.

or a car accident, or a snake bite,or rabies, or food poisoning, or a heart attack,  or cancer, to name but a few more.  Its not only covid that people need to look out for, You appear to disregard all other causes of death

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I never suggested that they did not die from covid I contradicted another posters assertion that they died due to being deluded

or a car accident, or a snake bite,or rabies, or food poisoning, or a heart attack,  or cancer, to name but a few more.  Its not only covid that people need to look out for, You appear to disregard all other causes of death

COVID has been one of the top leading causes of death in the world over the past several years during the duration of the pandemic, usually exceeding everything  except heart disease and cancer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But that also doesn't mean the health risks and burdens associated with the pandemic have entirely disappeared

The heath risks of leprosy, rabies,and bubonic plague have not entirely disappeared either, should we spend our lives living in the shadow of fear of those diseases, constantly being advised, or  told, by all and sundry what we should or should not  be doing. day in day out.? Really ?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The heath risks of leprosy, rabies,and bubonic plague have not entirely disappeared either, should we spend our lives living in the shadow of fear of those diseases, constantly being advised, or  told, by all and sundry what we should or should not  be doing. day in day out.? Really ?

When any of those kill 15-20 million people over the past of several years as COVID has done, I can assure you, they'd get my equal attention.  But of course, they haven't, so your comment above is meaningless.

From The Economist, updated in current time:

Screenshot_1.jpg.7f4dae189f01658593b0e7f7dc3cd6ac.jpg

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-estimates

From the WHO just for the years 2020 and 2021:

14.9 million excess deaths associated with the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021

https://www.who.int/news/item/05-05-2022-14.9-million-excess-deaths-were-associated-with-the-covid-19-pandemic-in-2020-and-2021

For the latest COVID update from the Thai Ministry of Public Health, this is their breakdown of the Thai provinces with the most new COVID hospitalizations for the week June 18-24 (via Google Translate).

1081159017_2023-06-2715_25.57-1.jpg.7cdf03108a3962bba121fb085965def0.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=province

Because these are raw numbers and not per capita rates, Bangkok is always going to lead this list because it has far and away larger population than any other province, and its number of new COVID hospitalizations declined slightly from the prior week.

But it's a bit surprising to see the 2nd ranked province as Ubon Ratchathani in the NE... even though the province's numbers of new COVID hospitalizations also declined from the prior week.

Nonthaburi and Samut Sakhon are adjoining Bangkok, so they've often been high on the provinces list, as has been Chonburi, because of its high tourist population, although Chonburi's new COVID hospitalization numbers declined by about 50% from the prior week. Surin also showed a similar major decline in new hospitalizations.

Over the past two weekly periods, the numbers of new COVID hospitalizations increased in the following provinces including Nonthaburi, Samut Sakhon and Songkhla

Here's the comparable breakdown by province for the prior week, June 11-17:

664088630_2023-06-2715_36.24-1.jpg.80c8e565f433b11086d664f97e3d5055.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you aware that polio and smallpox are completely different viruses to covid.  as indeed are the vaccines and the way they work. No comparison whatsoever!

I was simply providing examples of infectious diseases that were effectively suppressed via immunization. There never was an opinion expressed by me that these divergent illnesses were somehow related to Covid-19.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Just like with Covid-19, any dangerous infectious disease must be treated with care.

Not even idiots get careless about rabies or leprosy or bubonic plague. It just happens that people get careless about Covid-19 due to political reasons.

it only takes an annual booster shot to help stop the spread of the disease.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Well from what I have heard, each variation of covid was generally less deadly than the one before, were are you getting your info from ?  Your world view generally seems at odds with reality

Actually, Delta was deadlier than the preceding Beta.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Another totally inaccurate statement,   Any links?  you are really on thin ice today

I think if you look you will soon find some statistics to back up the commonly held belief that the overwhelming majority of people who died from covid were Old, and infirm, or suffering from comorbidities. I don't remember that being deluded was cited as a contributory comorbidity

There you go again. It would be great if you could invent new tropes, rather than just recycling "I don't care if granny dies as long as the bars stay open".

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I was simply providing examples of infectious diseases that were effectively suppressed via immunization. There never was an opinion expressed by me that these divergent illnesses were somehow related to Covid-19.

you said that covid could be eradicated  by immunisation in the same way as those diseases. It can not. 

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

it only takes an annual booster shot to help stop the spread of the disease.

a booster will not stop infection or transmission,  you are in a hole, stop digging

• Like 1

The global look at COVID things in the most recent update from the WHO:

"Globally, over 1.2 million new cases and over 7100 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (22 May to 18 June 2023)."

"Reported cases are not an accurate representation of infection rates due to the reductions in testing and reporting globally."

"The highest numbers of new 28-day deaths were reported from Brazil (978 new deaths; -19%), Spain (729 new deaths; +70%), the Russian Federation (577 new deaths; -13%), Australia (496 new deaths; -6%), and Italy (420 new deaths; -36%)"

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---22-june-2023

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Actually, Delta was deadlier than the preceding Beta.

I'll take your word for that and revise my post, too late to use the edit function so......

As far as I am now aware each successive variant of covid has been less deadly than previous variants, apart from one, apparently.

How many variants have there been ?  I'd like to know my magnitude of error

Edited by Bday Prang