THAI to Finalize Deal to Buy 30 New Aircraft

webfact

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So are they considered 'out of bankruptycy' or at least enough to start refunding all those covid tickets people purchased.   

Or am I not up to speed on news of refunds ?  Anyone out there still waiting, though may not help with all the new fare increases.

I called the other day, as is my want when I feel I want to waste some time and money,[ about every 6 months or so].I was told the usual that my refund would be paid by March 2024.Only 5 yrs since purchase.Still that's what you get from a Potemkin Airline.It's a damn shame because the Brisbane Thai ground staff and Office staff were brilliant.

Edited by findlay13

there are 6 A340 sitting on tarmac and in hangers at Don Muang  as well as 3 747   and they are all mothballed   apparently the Thais have had good offers for these low mileage planes   but wanted too much for them ,,  so their mothballed fleet is considerably larger than otherwise stated

other issue is that Thai offers are not competetive  compared to peers

6 hours ago, Searat7 said:

On their website they would list only the active fleet. I know all of the 747’s were sold already but I think they still have a few A-340’s which are hard to sell because they have 4 engines. I think they planned to return some A-380’s to the lessor. 

A340s are impossible to sell now.

I believe they are parked at Don Meaung and U-Tapao. The idea was to use them for direct flights to the US, but Thai lost their FAA registration.

So you take a "Financial Controller" who must have seen where the plug hole was at the very least so now he knows backwards how the financial system works to his advantage &

promote him to be the CEO.

I actually have enjoyed Thai over many years but I can never see it working as long as the Government have a controlling interest & keep making stupid decisions like the above

6 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Last week I was checking prices, one way to Brisbane, Thai 40k-60k, that was for economy tickets. Do people pay those sort of prices?

I don’t know why but in my experience I have found the price of a ticket from Australia to Thailand return has always been cheaper than the reverse of Thailand to Australia. Most recent price I looked at for THAI was about $1200+AUD. This was for flights out of Melbourne in September returning in November. 
Earlier this year on another carrier the one way fare BKK to Melbourne was more expensive than the return flight departing from Melbourne. Why is it so? Anyone able to explain?

So it's a lease they are not buying. It doesn't mention wether it's a wet or dry lease. In addition what is happening to almost new 6 A380 sitting there rusting away without being used. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of them and lower your fares. 

12 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Last week I was checking prices, one way to Brisbane, Thai 40k-60k, that was for economy tickets. Do people pay those sort of prices?

Try Scoot.

They fly BKK, Singapore, Gold Coast.  I booked a return ticket for my SIL earlier this year and it was about 40K.

13 hours ago, CMBob said:

Given their track record (the Thai government having to regularly pony up gargantuan money to keep this "national" airline alive), the first order of business is to totally privatize Thai airline.  A sure way to screw up an airline business is to have a government owning or controlling what should be a private, non-public, enterprise.

"Do you know who I am" doesn't work half as well with a private, non-public airline!

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Parking planes up is one thing.

They need continuous maintenance, especially in a hot and humid climate.

Have they had that maintenance?

depends on if the maintenance is made by a politicians friends company....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No skimming from leasing....

Maybe not, but there are certainly kickbacks paid by leasing companies when large orders are placed, so either way kickbacks/backhanders/skimming are all part of the game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CMBob said:

Given their track record (the Thai government having to regularly pony up gargantuan money to keep this "national" airline alive), the first order of business is to totally privatize Thai airline.  A sure way to screw up an airline business is to have a government owning or controlling what should be a private, non-public, enterprise.

Thai Airways was one of the best Airways worldwide under government control.....but than they screws it up. A national airline is helpful for a tourist country...and in the past with the beautiful traditional clothes it was really something to show....But yes they screwed it up.

It might be cheaper to have it private and pay the private company for some government wishes (like routes that don't bring profit...but do bring good tourists...sure a private company would also run them, if they get money for doing it)