Is there a market for a full service consultant for getting net access via a Sim router?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, NextG said:

This is also poor.. There are many laptops sold these days without a LAN port. Tablets too. 
The point of WiFi is that you aren’t tethered to any wires, so how could Ethernet be a substitute?

Phones are more expensive than MiFi and LTE routers and are not necessarily suitable for long term usage. 
Unlimited data for 999 baht per annum… explain how Ethernet would be cheaper?

Honestly, it’s hard for me to read some of the things written here. I’m out. 

Oh boy

"There are many laptops sold without a LAN port."

No there are not, lmao. Even the cheapest Chromebooks have Ethernet ports. You don't know what you are talking about.

And when I wrote Ethernet I obviously meant an Ethernet plugged into a wifi router... DUH.  That is if you even need it, most net companies just send you a 2 in 1.

999 for an 'unlimited' sim (per month, I assume, as you incorrectly you put per year which is complete bs. Show me where I can get an unlimited sim card for an entire year for 1000 baht. It doesn't exist, and explain how a home modem would be cheaper? I've seen home internet here for as cheap as 349 baht a month for broadband... That's substantially cheaper.

Yes, it is hard to read some of things on here, you're right. Such as some bozo claiming I can get an unlimited SIM card for 999 baht "per annum" which means per YEAR and that it's giving me unlimited DATA at fast enough speeds to do most internet things like stream HD video.

????????‍♂️

1 minute ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

No there are not, lmao. Even the cheapest Chromebooks have Ethernet ports. You don't know what you are talking about.

It is not because the cheapest Chromebooks have a LAN port that there are no laptops sold without a LAN port.

You don't know what you're talking about, so you should refrain from insulting other posters

• Like 1

I’m not going to quote HTF, as his abuse might cause his post to disappear. 

999 baht per annum: https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813

Mickeymaus has done an extensive write-up on it. 

Laptops with no LAN port: https://www.techreviewer.com/tech-answers/laptop-without-ethernet-port/

AFAIK, most Chromebooks are devoid of LAN ports too. 

How can you plug something into a WiFi router that does not exist?? Hence the purchase of an LTE modem. 
Painful…

Edited by NextG

45 minutes ago, BenStark said:

@NextG

linked an article explaining how to connect your laptop to the internet if it has no Ethernet port. ????????Not actually a list / examples of modern laptops without Ethernet ports.. 

The 1000 baht a year sim you linked is pure garbage lol. Did you read any of the fine print? Won't work inside a building higher than 5 floors. Speeds topping out at 1Mbps. VERY limited area coverage. ????

So while you are technically correct that it exists, it exists in the same way some weed sold for 30 baht a gram exists. It exists technically, but it's complete garbage and nobody should ever use it.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Oh boy, lol.

And when I wrote Ethernet I obviously meant an Ethernet plugged into a wifi router... DUH.  That is if you even need it, most net companies just send you a 2 in 1.

999 for an 'unlimited' sim (per month, I assume, as you incorrectly you put per year which is complete bs. Show me where I can get an unlimited sim card for an entire year for 1000 baht. It doesn't exist, bozo.) and explain how a home modem would be cheaper? I've seen home internet here for as cheap as 349 baht a month for broadband... That's substantially cheaper.

Yes, it is hard to read some of things on here, you're right. Such as some bozo claiming I can get an unlimited SIM card for 999 baht "per annum" which means per YEAR and that it's giving me unlimited DATA at fast enough speeds to do most internet things like stream HD video.

????????‍♂️

Thunder sim unlimited data and speed for 999 per year available on Shoppee. Yes it's real. But will it work in your location? You need to test. There is a test sim for 199. I paid about 1800 for an annual DTAC sim 30 Mbps after testing it first with a 200 baht monthly plan on a DTAC 15 Mbps sim. Its working very well for me.

Edited by Jingthing

31 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

@NextG

linked an article explaining how to connect your laptop to the internet if it has no Ethernet port. ????????Not actually a list / examples of modern laptops without Ethernet ports.. 

The 1000 baht a year sim you linked is pure garbage lol. Did you read any of the fine print? Won't work inside a building higher than 5 floors. Speeds topping out at 1Mbps. VERY limited area coverage. ????

So while you are technically correct that it exists, it exists in the same way some weed sold for 30 baht a gram exists. It exists technically, but it's complete garbage and nobody should ever use it.

Did you want me to produce a list of laptops with no LAN ports?? Perhaps I’ll do that when you post a full list of Chromebooks without LAN ports ????

But you said such a SIM didn’t exist at all ???? Worse still, you are literally falling over yourself to rubbish, falling flat on your face in the process. 

I gave you the opportunity to seek out Mickymaus’s thread before you embarrassed yourself further. But you insisted…

Just concede that you were wrong on every level. Be a man. 

• Sad 1

@HandsomeTallFarangCherry pick? You made a few points:

“Chromebooks(even the cheapest) have Ethernet ports.” That is not correct in general. 
“That the OP doesn’t need an LTE modem as he can just plug an Ethernet cable into a WiFi router” ????

Of course you assume that he already has a WiFi router and that all of his equipment has LAN ports…..Not even taking into account the elephant in the room….. that he doesn’t even have Internet access nor a WiFi router router if he is looking to supply his home via an LTE modem and SIM. 

So no he cannot just plug an Ethernet cable into a WiFi modem. So you got that wrong too. 

You then insisted that I was wrong with regard to 999 baht per annum. You were wrong about that too. 

You went on to state that the SIM in question maxes out at 1Mbps. You were wrong about that too. 

Have I left anything out?

• Haha 1

1. So many things wrong with this first point. "Of course you assume that he already has a WiFi router." I didn't assume that, you did. Nowhere do I make any mention of having already owned equipment or not, lol.

All I wrote was "they would use Ethernet" in response to why the OP's business idea of a SIM card consultant is a dumb idea. "If he is looking to supply his internet via LTE" How do you know they aren't just comparing to landline based internet and doing a bit of comparison shopping? Are you assuming they can only get SIM internet and not get / have access to a traditional ISP? See, I can make up scenarios too. Still wasn't what I wrote though.

It's an irrelevant point, and a pivot. Your supposed "gotcha" elephant in the room, is just a Strawman. You misinterpreted what I wrote and then argued against your own misinterpretation. 

2. Excuse me for being in disbelief that such a crappy thing exists. It's not really unreasonable for people to be skeptical of someone on an internet forum claiming "unlimited internet SIM Card" for stupid-cheap. You get a half win here. 

3. Fine. Goes from terrible to still mostly unsuitable, let alone service across multiple devices. You won that one.

Have a field day with those 1.5 / 3 Internet-Arguments-Won points, champ.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My inital guess is that such a service might be worth about 1000 baht.

That's where I see the problem. You need a sizable pool of potential customers (as you said it's a niche service), which in Thailand means Bangkok. The service is worth 1000 baht to a customer, but you can't provide it for that price when you take transportation into account. You might spend 1-2 hours on the road for those few minutes of consulting and testing.

Upsell options? Quite limited. Repeat customers? Maybe after a year, at best. I can't see that work in any smaller town.

13 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

1. So many things wrong with this first point. "Of course you assume that he already has a WiFi router." I didn't assume that, you did. No where do I make any mention of having already owned the equipment or not, lol. All I wrote was "they would use Ethernet" in response to why the OP's business idea of a SIM card consultant is a dumb idea. "If he is looking to supply his internet via LTE" How do you know they aren't just comparing to landline based internet and doing a bit of comparison shopping? Are you assuming they can only get SIM internet and not get / have access to a traditional ISP? See, I can make up scenarios too. Still wasn't what I wrote though.

Second, it's an irrelevant point, and a pivot. Your supposed "gotcha" elephant in the room, is just a strawman. You misinterpreted what I wrote and then argued against your own misinterpretation. 

2. Excuse me for being in disbelief that such a crappy thing exists. It's not really unreasonable for people to be skeptical of someone on an internet forum claiming "unlimited internet SIM Card" for stupid-cheap. You get a half win here. 

3. Fine. Goes from terrible to still mostly unsuitable for anyone, let alone multiple devices. You win that one.

Have a field day with those 1.5 / 3 Internet-Arguments-Won points, champ.

I guess you missed the OP’s other thread where he was dumping his terrestrial ISP and was asking for the best SIM/router combo; hence this thread. So that how how I know. I wasn’t discussing my needs. We were discussing his idea; after he ran out of mileage asking me for help, because he was continually second guessing me.
I posted with the knowledge of his previous thread. 
Whereas you jumped in blind and swinging. Missing with everything. 

Who stated the SIM was suitable for everyone? No one. That’s just you desperately trying for a win….and falling flat again. 

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's where I see the problem. You need a sizable pool of potential customers (as you said it's a niche service), which in Thailand means Bangkok. The service is worth 1000 baht to a customer, but you can't provide it for that price when you take transportation into account. You might spend 1-2 hours on the road for those few minutes of consulting and testing.

Upsell options? Quite limited. Repeat customers? Maybe after a year, at best. I can't see that work in any smaller town.

Then of course every time something went wrong, you have these hapless customers expecting you to support them. 

58 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I was thinking Pattaya.

Transport by bike.

Could do a surcharge out of.central zones.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I guess you missed the OP’s other thread where he was dumping his terrestrial ISP and was asking for the best SIM/router combo; hence this thread. So that how how I know. I wasn’t discussing my needs. We were discussing his idea; after he ran out of mileage asking me for help, because he was continually second guessing me.
I posted with the knowledge of his previous thread. 
Whereas you jumped in blind and swinging. Missing with everything. 

Who stated the SIM was suitable for everyone? No one. That’s just you desperately trying for a win….and falling flat again. 

The way you characterize our exchange before is hilarious.

You obnoxiously barked orders at me as if you were a drill sergeant.

I asked questions because I wanted to understand the context.

You then went ballistic and became abusive.

Not most people's idea of being helpful.

So you put me on ignore which is up to you but you can't stop stalking me anyway to continue to trash me. Really odd behavior.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm curious about what percentage of expats even know about the sim router option to potentially be their primary access solution?

Because it is cheap, no installation fees, and not subject to issues with access being wired in.

It's ideal for many part time expats.

My assumption is that a significant percentage of expats don't even know about this option. If that is the case that could be the emphasis of marketing. Tell people about this great option and it's benefits and then hey you want to get set up quick and easy and get the best deal with the best possible speed for your specific location? Then don't stress spend 1000 baht and we'll hook a brother up!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would think the demand for sim routers would be minimal. Several people watching HD movie simultaneously might overwhelm the bandwidth available on a sim except a fairly expensive plan. Most people get fiber, I have a 3BB connection for 399 a month which has nearly 1Gb download and it doesn't matter how far I am from a tower, etc.

Last time I was here I did buy a sim router from Banana which worked quite well. This time I knew the condo had 3BB so I didn't bother to bring it back.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I would think the demand for sim routers would be minimal. Several people watching HD movie simultaneously might overwhelm the bandwidth available on a sim except a fairly expensive plan. Most people get fiber, I have a 3BB connection for 399 a month which has nearly 1Gb download and it doesn't matter how far I am from a tower, etc.

Last time I was here I did buy a sim router from Banana which worked quite well. This time I knew the condo had 3BB so I didn't bother to bring it back.

Good point if people want HD stuff. But my 30 Mbps setup works very well with torrents and stremio.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Mobile Internet is still a useful thing. Not everyone can avail themselves of fibre based internet, so mobile Internet supplied by SIM is a viable option for Internet access. But most people are capable of following simple instructions to get up and running. The ones that cannot be bothered are also unlikely to be bothered to pay someone 1000 baht to check which networks are available at their place. 
Buying routers to sell on to clients is a nonsense, as then you may have warranty issues. Who will support? The shop from which the tech purchased originally or the tech themselves? Will the support carry a charge? 
All this because someone could not be bothered to follow simple instruction in the first place. 

57 minutes ago, NextG said:

Mobile Internet is still a useful thing. Not everyone can avail themselves of fibre based internet, so mobile Internet supplied by SIM is a viable option for Internet access. But most people are capable of following simple instructions to get up and running. The ones that cannot be bothered are also unlikely to be bothered to pay someone 1000 baht to check which networks are available at their place. 
Buying routers to sell on to clients is a nonsense, as then you may have warranty issues. Who will support? The shop from which the tech purchased originally or the tech themselves? Will the support carry a charge? 
All this because someone could not be bothered to follow simple instruction in the first place. 

There is that obsession again with your twisted version of what happened between us when I didn't respond to your terse barking orders in the way you expected. 

Anyway I tend to agree that reselling routers is a bad idea. I have already expressed reservations about that aspect of that myself.

But really it should be obvious that the core value offer of this niche service idea is to have a full set of active Sims to test the speeds at the customer location.

That's a convenience.

After getting this set up myself my results are actually superior to my old DSL as far as user experience. Obviously nowhere near the speed of a fiber connection but the sim router does everything that I need and want.

Edited by Jingthing

it's probably easier to offer this service as a mobile ISP, 

can't get fiber in your condo/apartment rentals? 

call us.... and lock you in whatever sim/mvno plan you have, come and install it just like the wired isp

those that don't have the means to check and compare speeds between providers won't care or bother to switch providers or sims anyway