Apple Pie from Tops Supermarket

sqwakvfr

This subject will be of interest for American and to anyone who likes apple pie.  I have always loved apple pie and at times it has not been easy to find a good apple pie.  A few days ago I saw slices of apple crumble pie on sale at the Tops market in Central Festival Chiang Mai.  I bought a slice and took it home.  Sadly when I sliced into it I discovered the apple slices had not been peeled.   The crust was dry and overall it was one of the worst apple pies I had tried in Thailand.  

For anyone in Chiang Mai can I get a recommendation to find good or great apple pie?  Also, a recommendation for good pecan pie would be greatly appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Make your own, apples on sale everywhere for 10bht each.

Key lime pie also easy to make.

Pastry is just flour and water.

Key lime (microwave) filling
3 eggs, 12oz tin of sweetened condensed milk, juice from 1-2 limes 25ml

Pour into a large Pyrex microwave bowl.  (DO NOT USE A SMALLER CONTAINER–it will boil over.)  Mix then cook in microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes.  Stir well after each minute.  After 4 minutes, stir with a fork every 30 seconds.  Watch filling carefully.  Do not get distracted. It will become thick in a split second and you want to be there to stir and make sure filling cooks evenly.  When this happens it may look like a big lump rising up in the middle or one side. Mix until smooth, cook until thick enough, do not allow to boil.

1 Do not have an oven

2. Never liked key lime pie.

Might just have to wait a couple months until I get back to Los Angeles and have some Apple Pie and Pecan Pie.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

1 Do not have an oven

2. Never liked key lime pie.

Might just have to wait a couple months until I get back to Los Angeles and have some Apple Pie and Pecan Pie.  

May be better, as Brit apple pie and Yank's 'Mom's Apple Pie' can be complete different, depending if a fan of cinnamon, which we are.  Find Brit's to usually be too sweet, little or no cinnamon. 

For a quick 'apple pasty fix'  can use puff pasty (store bought), and go with an open pastry, or turnover.  Easy enough to do in any size convection/toaster oven, even the ones they call 'air fryers' ????

If real lazy, can even buy apple pie filling (same w/blueberry), in can, though the actually 'fruit yield' is a bit on the shy side.  Can always use the rest for pancake/waffle topping.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Years ago, I tried to make an apple pie by substituting Ritz Crackers for the Apples.

Have you had this?

That sounds terrible. Wife used Ritz for a crust/bottom once, forget, Apple or CheeseCake, and didn't work.  Vanilla cookies do, in a pinch.

Mrs Smith's pies are available at some vendors, or use to be (Udon Thani), Villa Market, and Top's in expat areas.  Silly priced, but if have to have.

Really is too easy to make.  Crust is easy, but have to use frozen shaved butter.   If you fail at that, then an Apple (any fruit) crumb is quite easy, and really hard to screw up.

Easier solution is Apple turnover/Danish using store bought puff pastry.  Icing is simply confection sugar and few drops of milk & vanilla.

Just don't buy the pie filling in a can, if you actually want apples in you pie, as they are most thick syrup.  Apples, sugar, cinnamon, flour butter and you have your pie ingredients.  They even sell pre-made pie crusts.