Western Food

kngdady

I am thinking about opening a Mexican restraunt in Thailand but need to find a good location. I would like some advise from expats and Thai people how they feel about mexican food.

kngdady

Check out the "Good Mexican Food" posting in this forum. Might get some ideas there.

Can't speak for all Thais except to say most I know would not care for Mexican Food. As to location, it really needs to be in Bangkok or heavily touristed areas such as Phuket, Pattaya, Chiangmai, Huahin, Kho Samui, etc.

Howdy,

My wife loves fajitas but thats about it when it comes to Mexican food. She won't eat pinto beans and not much on cheese. She like guacamole, and I have seen avocados in Thailand. However, I'm not sure if they are grown there.

Chung *j*

Howdy,

My wife loves fajitas but thats about it when it comes to Mexican food. She won't eat pinto beans and not much on cheese. She like guacamole, and I have seen avocados in Thailand. However, I'm not sure if they are grown there.

Chung *j*

Thailand does grow avocado. The large smooth skin variety. They are somewhat tasteless but are very cheap. Markets do sell imported (from Australia or US) Haas avocado the rough skined variety. They are quite expensive at 80 to 100 baht each.

Hey Jimmy,

After sleeping on it I was thinking about what types of Texmex or Mexican food might go over in the LOS. I have traveled around Thailand a litte bit. Everwhere I go I have seen a guy frying Thai dounuts. Same Same :D when I go to New Mexico, except it's not the fried dounuts, it's sopapillas and the "guy" frying them is a Mexican woman :o . They serve them with honey or stuffed with lettice, meat and cheese. Boy howdy, they are good.

INGREDIENTS

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons shortening

1 1/2 cups warm water

2 quarts oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Stir in water; mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Roll out on floured board until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

When you fry them they puff up like a pillow. I like to cut mine in triangles. Maybe you could hire a national to stand out on the street and fry them in the morning. It may be something new in the LOS.

I bet they are good stuff with beef curry or musaman, or maybe with moo dang and fresh greens. Isaan bbq might be good with it. I like mine with honey or strawberry jam.

Chung *j*

• 4 months later...
I am thinking about opening a Mexican restraunt in Thailand but need to find a good location. I would like some advise from expats and Thai people how they feel about mexican food.

kngdady

and run a travel agency and spam the forum. Busy guy.

There are so-called "Mexican food" places in Thailand, but I do not like the food at any of them (having said that, I have not yet tried Miguels in Chiang Mai and it is getting good reviews).

One poster talked about Pattaya-Jomtien.......there are at least four California-style Mexican restaurants there.......which is another way of saying there is no Mexican food there. Most of these places end up specializing in ribs and fajitas and frozen Margaritas to earn something.

Taco Bell will come to Thailand soon and fill a certain niche, so you best stay away from that niche because they will crush any competition (obviously a strange form of Mexican food but many of us like to eat it from time to time).

I would focus on Tex-Mex.........and try to keep the price down. Virtually all of the current places are charging way too much for the food. Some simply because of the high rental costs in Thailand now, especially in the malls in Bangkok.

Be aware that food fads come and go in Thailand. Typically, when a new concept does well, it does not last as people grow tired of it and figure out that it is overpriced garbage......Spiccios Pizza (spelling?) comes to mind.

The market here is very volatile and the economy is going downhill fast in relative terms. Good beef is virtually non-existent unless you import it and then it becomes too expensive. Really good authentic products are totally absent or grown in small quantities.........or imported, putting upward pressure on your bottom line.

Don't want to run you off........but just want you to know that it is not easy to do here. The poster that talked about sopapillas might be on to something.....a small kiosk selling sopapillas might work and it would likely not be too expensive to get off the ground.

Remember that Thailand has turned xenophobic in a major way and would prefer YOU, the foreigner, to not open any business in Thailand...the government will do everything in its power to prevent you from starting a business and if you do, run you out of business.

Remember that Thailand has turned xenophobic in a major way and would prefer YOU, the foreigner, to not open any business in Thailand...the government will do everything in its power to prevent you from starting a business and if you do, run you out of business.

<deleted>!

I'd change your advisor if I was you :o

I have often pondered -- as a purely academic exercise -- what kinds of Western food might be sold at night markets, etc. to the average Thai person. Every time that I do, I think of the following dialogue from 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre':

Fred C. Dobbs: You know, if I was a native, I'd get me a can of shoe polish and I'd be in business. They'd never let a gringo. You can sit on a bench 'til you're three-quarters starved... you can beg from another gringo... you can even commit burglary. You try shinin' shoes in the street, peddlin' lemonade out of a bucket, and your hash is settled. You'll never get another job from an American.

Bob Curtin: Yeah, and the natives would hound and pester you to death.

Of course, the most famous line from that movie:

Gold Hat: Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges.

Taco Bell will come to Thailand soon and fill a certain niche, so you best stay away from that niche because they will crush any competition (obviously a strange form of Mexican food but many of us like to eat it from time to time).

The market here is very volatile and the economy is going downhill fast in relative terms. Good beef is virtually non-existent unless you import it and then it becomes too expensive. Really good authentic products are totally absent or grown in small quantities.........or imported, putting upward pressure on your bottom line.

Remember that Thailand would prefer YOU, the foreigner, to not open any business in Thailand...the government will do everything in its power to prevent you from starting a business and if you do, run you out of business.

The parts of the above post that weren't deleted actually said some reasonable things but it's a shame that the rest of it was such utter tripe. Crushed by Taco Bell, Thai economy going down hill, no good beef in Thailand, Thai government will run you out of business - where do folks get these misconceptions and urban myths from. Oh, Texas I see, that's different, must be correct then!

Remember that Thailand would prefer YOU, the foreigner, to not open any business in Thailand...the government will do everything in its power to prevent you from starting a business and if you do, run you out of business.

The parts of the above post that weren't deleted actually said some reasonable things but it's a shame that the rest of it was such utter tripe. Crushed by Taco Bell, Thai economy going down hill, no good beef in Thailand, Thai government will run you out of business - where do folks get these misconceptions and urban myths from. Oh, Texas I see, that's different, must be correct then!

It is true that sometimes my words seem a bit extreme.......fine......I am pissed off at what Thailand is becoming.......the OP should understand this as part of my own bias. But please do not give the OP the impression that what I stated is far from reality.

Surely you are aware that the business rules are designed to maximize the probability that you, the foreigner, will fail and not be able to compete with locals that do not have to follow such absurd rules.

Surely you are aware that Taco Bell is a powerful company that can advertise effectively and carve out a niche in Thailand.......they will take a large chunk of the income pie.....carve that in stone.......even if most of us do not consider what they serve as Mexican food.

The Thai economy is going downhill fast, in relative terms. What does that mean? It means if they had not made such incredibly stupid economic decisions all of us would be far better today. It does not mean that there is no growth in certain sectors.

Just look around the economic growth in surrounding countries.......far greater than Thailand in Vietnam, China and even Cambodia!

Xenophobia is a reality.........wake up and smell the coffee.

Bad beef in Thailand.......another reality that virtually every person knows......to get a good steak you must import it from Australia or New Zealand. The local beef is crap.

I am trying to give the OP some insights into what it is really like on the ground........I do not wear rose-colored glasses. I do not spend all of my time inside Paragon Mall sipping coffee at Starbucks thinking all is wonderful.

Thailand is in serious trouble..........corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either see it or you don't.

Your position is valid in that it is your opinion.

It is true that sometimes my words seem a bit extreme.......fine......I am pissed off at what Thailand is becoming.......the OP should understand this as part of my own bias. But please do not give the OP the impression that what I stated is far from reality.

Surely you are aware that the business rules are designed to maximize the probability that you, the foreigner, will fail and not be able to compete with locals that do not have to follow such absurd rules.

Surely you are aware that Taco Bell is a powerful company that can advertise effectively and carve out a niche in Thailand.......they will take a large chunk of the income pie.....carve that in stone.......even if most of us do not consider what they serve as Mexican food.

The Thai economy is going downhill fast, in relative terms. What does that mean? It means if they had not made such incredibly stupid economic decisions all of us would be far better today. It does not mean that there is no growth in certain sectors.

Just look around the economic growth in surrounding countries.......far greater than Thailand in Vietnam, China and even Cambodia!

Bad beef in Thailand.......another reality that virtually every person knows......to get a good steak you must import it from Australia or New Zealand. The local beef is crap.

I am trying to give the OP some insights into what it is really like on the ground........I do not wear rose-colored glasses. I do not spend all of my time inside Paragon Mall sipping coffee at Starbucks thinking all is wonderful.

Thailand is in serious trouble..........corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either see it or you don't.

If you keep on posting like that you'll awaken the "love it or p*ss off out of here " brigade and then the post is doomed. Let me try one last time here:

Taco Bell - just like Burger Kind, McDonalds, KFC and Subway, Taco Bell will take a market share. To say they will crush the competition is nonsense. Quality products will always sell, often in tandem with crap products - there's room in the market for both and Taco Bells crap product is certainly not going to crush the quality ones.

Economies - yes Thailand's economy is thrid in the region behind China and Vietnam but ahead of many others.

Bad Beef - utter nonsense and totally incorrect.

...corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either see it or you don't". - I see it, everyone does but it's always been that way - corruption is a feature of Thailand and always has been as is the case with many SE Asian countries and some Western ones also! The military gets rolled out at least seventeen times each century to help facilitate change and doubtless it will continue to be rolled out, think of it as a feature. Xenophobia - prior to 1900 I understand that no Westerner had even been allowed in Siam so it's not difficult to imagine that 107 years later the Thais are still somewhat xenophobic.

Despite all it's perceived failings Thailand is receptive to new foreign business ventures and good businesses can and do succeed.

If you keep on posting like that you'll awaken the "love it or p*ss off out of here " brigade and then the post is doomed. Let me try one last time here:

Taco Bell - just like Burger Kind, McDonalds, KFC and Subway, Taco Bell will take a market share. To say they will crush the competition is nonsense. Quality products will always sell, often in tandem with crap products - there's room in the market for both and Taco Bells crap product is certainly not going to crush the quality ones.

Economies - yes Thailand's economy is thrid in the region behind China and Vietnam but ahead of many others.

Bad Beef - utter nonsense and totally incorrect.

...corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either see it or you don't". - I see it, everyone does but it's always been that way - corruption is a feature of Thailand and always has been as is the case with many SE Asian countries and some Western ones also! The military gets rolled out at least seventeen times each century to help facilitate change and doubtless it will continue to be rolled out, think of it as a feature. Xenophobia - prior to 1900 I understand that no Westerner had even been allowed in Siam so it's not difficult to imagine that 107 years later the Thais are still somewhat xenophobic.

Despite all it's perceived failings Thailand is receptive to new foreign business ventures and good businesses can and do succeed.

Taco Bell will crush the competition that is inside its niche.......do you understand what I am saying?

Of course there is room for other venues that are producing good Mexican food, mainly because none are here (having said that, let me say once again, and pay attention given your avatar, that I have not eaten at Miguel's in Chiang Mai and have heard good things about it).

Thailand's rate of economic growth is actually way behind Cambodia....you missed that one.

Not sure where you are coming from with regard to your position on xenophobia rising....it seems so obvious to me......I could not care about what it was like in 1900 or prior....more interested in modern history.

Thailand's business rules and regulations are far from receptive........to say otherwise is grossly misleading the OP.

Yes, some good businesses can and do succeed and others fail. That is not my point. My point is that the cards are stacked against you from the get-go. The game is rigged.

One thing I failed to mention to the OP is that the workforce here is among the worst in all of East-Southeast Asia.

Let the OP weigh all of the information and make an informed decision.

For non-Americans or those too young to remember: The REAL 'JR' -- J.R. 'Ewing'

John Ross "J.R." Ewing, Jr., played by Larry Hagman, was a treacherous figure on the hit American television series
Dallas
... America's favorite antihero since Eddie Haskell (from Leave it to Beaver), J.R. was a covetous, egocentric, and amoral oil baron, who was constantly plotting subterfuges to plunder his foes and their Texas-sized wallets. -- from Wikipedia

JR Texas, however, is a nice guy.

post-7565-1197381295_thumb.jpg

Thailand is in serious trouble..........corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either ee it or you don't.

s

hows your bunker coming along?

Whats wrong with sipping coffee in paragon? It beats the he_l out of sitting at home waiting for doomsday

Thailand is in serious trouble..........corruption if everywhere.......the military is in charge......freedom is an illusion........xenophobia is rising.......you either ee it or you don't.

s

hows your bunker coming along?

Whats wrong with sipping coffee in paragon? It beats the he_l out of sitting at home waiting for doomsday

:o:D :D :bah: :bah: :o;) I like your post! The bunker in the backyard of my house in Texas was going fine until I hit an opening and realized I was in China!!!!

Nothing wrong with sipping coffee in Starbucks (please send me a gift certificate.......thank you). My point, as I think you probably know, is that I think many posters with rose-colored glasses never leave the nice, comfortable places to interact with the majority of SLAVES in the real world outside of the malls and Bangkok in general. If we get pissed off now and actually take positive steps to change things, doomsday will not find us........maybe.

At any rate, it is getting too close to Xmas to be a grumpy old fart wearing a Texas hat, blue jeans, and ass-kicking boots w/ spurs. MERRY XMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.........MAY YOUR STOCKINGS BE FILLED WITH RICHES AND DELIGHTS......MAY YOUR DREAMS ALL COME TRUE........SOMEBODY HAND ME A HANKY :D :D :D

Of all the fast food products I have ever eaten, I can safely say that the worst is Taco Bell (well, maybe Jollibee rates about the same) - and I agree that there is no way that Taco Bell will be crushing any competition in Thailand. They may find themselves crushing someone's head for suggesting otherwise though... LOL...

At best, Taco Bell will carve out a very small piece of the pie. Advertising will not help its cause no matter how many millions of dollars they pour into it.

Bad beef would be irrelevant in any case because Taco Bell's stuff is worse than the hamburger meat some people complained about in another thread. Frankly, when ground up, Thai meat isn't that bad, just don't expect any high quality steaks unless you're willing to pay the premium for Thai-French - something no fast food place is likely to do.

Bad Beef - utter nonsense and totally incorrect

Your joking, right? You really did not post that? But you are right, it is not bad, a much better word would be disgusting or revolting or repulsive or sickening or ghastly or horrible or nauseating. Take you choice.

Bad Beef - utter nonsense and totally incorrect

Your joking, right? You really did not post that? But you are right, it is not bad, a much better word would be disgusting or revolting or repulsive or sickening or ghastly or horrible or nauseating. Take you choice.

I personally do not like the beef at Taco Bell, but it sells well worldwide to a large segment of the market they have carved out. And it is obvious to any reader here that you do not have to have the beef.........just tell them not to add it.

Taco Bell has expanded its menu and is now testing the market in Asia via other fast food outlets. They are part of a powerful, global "machine." They will come here once a market has been established, but I think they are trying hard now to figure out how to make a product that Thais will eat.

My experience, and that of others, shows that Thais really do not like frijoles (refried beans), a main ingredient in many of Taco Bell's products. But, again, you do not have to add that. If you think Taco Bell is so stupid as to not be able to figure all of this out, think again. They will come here and they will kick ass.

Right now I would love to eat one of their burritos with frijoles, rice and cheese. In fact, give me two of them..........and at half the price that most people are selling them for in Bangkok and elsewhere.

The main advantages that they have over the competition (not really much competition at this point) is in the areas of funding, logistics, advertising, and name recognition. Whatever they do (good or bad) it will be on time at the right price at the right location.

Chisel this in stone: They will find out what works in Thailand, replicate it, and sell it at half the price of the local competition. In a declining economy (and that is what we are in), this will draw people who want to save a buck.

Of all the fast food products I have ever eaten, I can safely say that the worst is Taco Bell (well, maybe Jollibee rates about the same) - and I agree that there is no way that Taco Bell will be crushing any competition in Thailand. They may find themselves crushing someone's head for suggesting otherwise though... LOL...

At best, Taco Bell will carve out a very small piece of the pie. Advertising will not help its cause no matter how many millions of dollars they pour into it.

Bad beef would be irrelevant in any case because Taco Bell's stuff is worse than the hamburger meat some people complained about in another thread. Frankly, when ground up, Thai meat isn't that bad, just don't expect any high quality steaks unless you're willing to pay the premium for Thai-French - something no fast food place is likely to do.

Not sure if people know who Taco Bell is part of (if you think they have no power to exert influence in Thailand's Mexican food market.......well, not sure what to say to you):

Yum! Brands, Inc., based in Louisville, Ky., is the world's largest restaurant company in terms of system restaurants with over 34,000 restaurants in over 100 countries. Four of our restaurant brands - KFC, Long John Silver's, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell - are the global leaders of the chicken, quick-service seafood, pizza and Mexican-style food categories. A&W Restaurants is the longest running quick-service franchise chain in America. In 2006, Yum! Brands generated more than $9.5 billion in total revenues, including company sales and franchise fees.

Yum! is building a vibrant global business by focusing on key growth strategies: building dominant restaurant brands in China,

Not sure if people know who Taco Bell is part of (if you think they have no power to exert influence in Thailand's Mexican food market.......well, not sure what to say to you):

Yum! Brands, Inc., based in Louisville, Ky., is the world's largest restaurant company in terms of system restaurants with over 34,000 restaurants in over 100 countries. Four of our restaurant brands - KFC, Long John Silver's, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell - are the global leaders of the chicken, quick-service seafood, pizza and Mexican-style food categories. A&W Restaurants is the longest running quick-service franchise chain in America. In 2006, Yum! Brands generated more than $9.5 billion in total revenues, including company sales and franchise fees.

Yum! is building a vibrant global business by focusing on key growth strategies: building dominant restaurant brands in China,

Yes, I know who Yum is. LJS has also been here and failed, despite the fact that there is nothing wrong with the food.

Yum has been here for quite some time - after letting other people build their businesses for them. Needless to say they are not exactly the driving force behind the success of KFC and Pizza Hut here - and for sure they cannot make an inferior product work in Thailand no matter how many hundreds of millions of baht they throw behind it.

In my past life - I worked in marketing/advertising/PR in Hong Kong and Thailand, with clients like American Brands, Chase, Unisys to begin with. I think I know what I'm talking about. Do remember that this is NOT America - and that I am also an American.

There have been many Western chains which have come and failed here. Wendy's, Popeye's, LJS, Taco Time, Yoshinoya (Beef Bowl), Dairy Queen (the first time around), and probably others which I can't think of at the moment (having just woken up).

Taco Bell, at best, falls in the middle of this group comparison-wise. Personally I'd like to see Jack in the Box (not for its Mexican food though even though I love their crap tacos).

Edited by onethailand

Yes, I know who Yum is. LJS has also been here and failed, despite the fact that there is nothing wrong with the food.

Yum has been here for quite some time - after letting other people build their businesses for them. Needless to say they are not exactly the driving force behind the success of KFC and Pizza Hut here - and for sure they cannot make an inferior product work in Thailand no matter how many hundreds of millions of baht they throw behind it.

In my past life - I worked in marketing/advertising/PR in Hong Kong and Thailand, with clients like American Brands, Chase, Unisys to begin with. I think I know what I'm talking about. Do remember that this is NOT America - and that I am also an American.

There have been many Western chains which have come and failed here. Wendy's, Popeye's, LJS, Taco Time, Yoshinoya (Beef Bowl), Dairy Queen (the first time around), and probably others which I can't think of at the moment (having just woken up).

Taco Bell, at best, falls in the middle of this group comparison-wise. Personally I'd like to see Jack in the Box (not for its Mexican food though even though I love their crap tacos).

Reading between the lines, I sense a great deal of fear/concern on your part. I wonder why. Trying to sell Mexican food our we? Partner is something similar? Good luck with your dream. I am sure they will fail.....just like KFC and Pizza Hut. Nothing more to say on this thread.

Reading between the lines, I sense a great deal of fear/concern on your part. I wonder why. Trying to sell Mexican food our we? Partner is something similar? Good luck with your dream. I am sure they will fail.....just like KFC and Pizza Hut. Nothing more to say on this thread.

No fear, no concern, and no association with any Mexican or other restaurant period. Don't forget, I'm the burger freak who likes burgers the way you do :o

Taco Bell simply doesn't have the taste or the quality that will work over here - for that matter, Taco Bell basically doesn't even exist outside the US. What makes you think they will come to Thailand any time soon, there are much bigger and more lucrative markets for them to attack - including China.

No need to read between the lines - if you've read any of my other posts you'll know I wear my heart on my sleeve.

OK, I am a burger freak as well, well frustrated burger freak as I come from the home of In-N-Out, and you and I and JR run into each other here often. My biggest secret is I love Jack in the Box tacos and yes, no way they are even close to mexican food, they are a weird food unto themselves.

The meat was always weird yet tasty to me and then I went to a copy cat recipe site and found out 1/4 of the meat is frijoles, go figure

OK, I am a burger freak as well, well frustrated burger freak as I come from the home of In-N-Out, and you and I and JR run into each other here often. My biggest secret is I love Jack in the Box tacos and yes, no way they are even close to mexican food, they are a weird food unto themselves.

The meat was always weird yet tasty to me and then I went to a copy cat recipe site and found out 1/4 of the meat is frijoles, go figure

LMAO... and I hate frijoles... there's something about those tacos (or maybe it was just the 3 for $1 deal) that always made me want them... along with a Buy One Get One Free at Beef Bowl...

What I call real Mexican food are the greasy all beef burritos you can find almost anywhere in LA. In a way, I almost wish Sunrise's burritos were that greasy :o

Anyhow, JR, if you read back you will see that I criticized Sunrise before I praised them :D I was firmly in the camp of the people who believed Mexican would never work in Thailand - a friend from CA told me I should open up a Mexican place but I firmly refused. I don't know if Sunrise will last - but seems to me they're on the right track.

But come to think of it - if people like Jeffrey and I can like Jack in the Box tacos... maybe people can be convinced to eat the crap Taco Bell serves too. Sure as hel_l won't be me trying to compete. I'd rather do burgers.

Best burrito ever was at the original Green Burrito in La Puente in Calif., no, not the chain, long before that, they would fry beef, stringy yet tender, with with not too spicy poces of big green shilis, mix with copious amount of cheese, It as in an area were I grew up but after I moved away would drive an hour or more to buy a few to get me thru the week.....................getting extra cheese at Sunrise, wow, they make me feel like a criminal

I take back my comment about Taco Bell not being outside the US - they claim to have 240 locations outside the US, according to their website, most of which I presume are in Canada.

The Wikipedia entry reveals more about their overseas locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell

Note that most are located on military bases. The only standalone locations accessible to the public are in Philippines and Mexico - and the locations in China are of a full-service (and thus different) brand called Taco Bell Grande.

Taco Bell failed in Australia. Their mighty marketing muscle couldn't save them in a country where you would have expected a reasonable chance of success. So how likely is it that they can succeed in Thailand when they can't even get public operations going in more than two countries, excluding the US and Canada.

Oops - I was wrong. Four countries, if you include one Taco Bell/KFC in Iceland and a few KFCs in Singapore.

Let the facts speak for themselves. If they do open in Thailand, they will get my custom at least once.

Edited by onethailand

I take back my comment about Taco Bell not being outside the US - they claim to have 240 locations outside the US, according to their website, most of which I presume are in Canada.

The Wikipedia entry reveals more about their overseas locations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell

Note that most are located on military bases. The only standalone locations accessible to the public are in Philippines and Mexico - and the locations in China are of a full-service (and thus different) brand called Taco Bell Grande.

Taco Bell failed in Australia. Their mighty marketing muscle couldn't save them in a country where you would have expected a reasonable chance of success. So how likely is it that they can succeed in Thailand when they can't even get public operations going in more than two countries, excluding the US and Canada.

Oops - I was wrong. Four countries, if you include one Taco Bell/KFC in Iceland and a few KFCs in Singapore.

Let the facts speak for themselves. If they do open in Thailand, they will get my custom at least once.

I am very surprised they (i.e., Taco Bell) did not make it in Australia......but I do not know that much about Australia and assumed they love Mexican food, even the weird versions of it.

I am in China now.....went to KFC yesterday (actually tastes like the KFC back home....like pressure cooked, greasy chicken).....saw many Chinese eating burritos made with fried chicken, plum sauce and a celery stick down the middle. They are testing the Chinese market now.

A few months ago in Thailand I saw something similar but they were using fish and chicken.......they are testing the market via their KFC branches....get it? Taco Bell and KFC share information. That is one reason I think they will come here.

Another is that the market for Mexican food is rising and Greg posted that 80-90% of his visitors are Thai........I was shocked to learn that. If the market continues to grow and money is smelled by the big players, they will come here.......that is the way it works.

After they arrive, they will implement a "plan" that will be extremely efficient and well-thought out......allowing them to undercut the competition. They have a massive advantage over others in terms of their logistics (big cost savings), staff training/recruitment, funding, marketing/advertising. The result will be a fairly good product at half the cost.

This is just what I think will happen.........I have been wrong before and will likely be wrong again in the future.

By the way, I think this market (Mexican food) really needs a reasonably-priced Tex-Mex restaurant similar to El Fenix or El Chico in Texas. It is almost impossible to do here because of the lack of authentic ingredients within Thailand (import them and prices go up too much) coupled with the extremely poor quality of beef in Thailand (import it and the prices go up too much).......added to this the price of real cheese (way too high in Thailand).

The market also needs a place that can serve a real hamburger at a decent price.

May your stockings be filled with excellent tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc., ho ho ho......where's that HO :D :D Surely you know.....don't call me Shirley :o:D