US Supreme Court strikes down student loan forgiveness plan

Social Media

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Virtually all PPP loans have been forgiven with limited scrutiny

As COVID-19 shutdowns threatened businesses back in 2020, the U.S. government began issuing nearly $800 billion in potentially forgivable Paycheck Protection Program loans. The program was designed to help small businesses keep workers employed during the uncertain early days of the pandemic.

More than two years later, the overwhelming majority of these loans have transformed into government grants, as 91% have been either fully or partially forgiven, according to an NPR analysis of data released by the Small Business Administration on Oct. 2.

The SBA expects that figure to grow to nearly 100% as more forgiveness requests are processed this fall.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/12/1128207464/ppp-loans-loan-forgiveness-small-business

I did not and do not support forgiving those loan either. That said, the government compelled hundreds of thousands of businesses to shut down. 

I don't remember them compelling college students to take loans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I did not and do not support forgiving those loan either. That said, the government compelled hundreds of thousands of businesses to shut down. 

I don't remember them compelling college students to take loans. 

How else were the poorer students going to get an education? Rich kids never needed to take student loans.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

How else were the poorer students going to get an education? Rich kids never needed to take student loans.

I have nothing against student loans, and I have nothing against scholarships and grants for the poor, I am against forgiving loans to people loans at the expense of the poor people that did not benefit from the loans, and the poor people chumps that worked hard, sacrificed and paid the loans back. 

I get it, I think 90% of the graduates with loans share your ideology, and I think you'd like to help them, largely at the expense of the people that do not. 

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What makes you think they are poor ?

Exactly, the poor kids are either working or on the teat. 

If the left really wanted to help poor, they'd focus on improving K-12 schools in poorer, particularly inner-city black areas where I think often virtually none of the students can read and do math at grade level. 

Why all the focus on university while the people that need help the most ignored? 

President Biden, please take the money you were going to spend pandering for votes forgiving student loans and spend it improving inner-city schools where people really need help. 

• Thumbs Up 1