My first wheelchair use experience

poppysdad

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

A while ago I posted about anyone’s feelings as a first time wheelchair user and received some encouraging replies. So a couple of weeks ago decided that there are times that going to or seeing something might be entirely dependent on having a wheelchair or not so off to our local medical supply shop and tried a few models and parted with some money. 
This weekend in town we have the annual dragon boat races which if anything like last year was well worth watching but on getting down to the river this morning there was no way I was going to make it walking from the nearest available parking spot to where the action is so out came the wheelchair for its first bit of action. The paved area has a quite rippled affect but my wife managed it easy and happy doing so but as we got near to where the action is the roadside was full of the usual food and everything under the sun stalls and some had spilled out onto the pavement area. Now I have to say that as being pushed along no one gave me a second glance which really encouraged me and on the odd occasion that someone was in our way they readily moved aside for us to which I smiled and thanked them. Then we reached the first of the sellers with their wares or services spread across the pavement. She glared at how dare we use the pavement and only reluctantly moved some of her rubbish to leave the minimal of room to get past and had my wife not got it perfectly lined up I would would be rolling down a steep bank and into the river. So onto the next group with exactly the same attitude to us, as far as they were concerned it was the end of the road for us, no help offered in the slightest. My wife wheeled me up to the very age of of the sellers layout and I rather than start some sort of scene told my wife I could walk past these few obstinate persons but to lay it on with a trowel. So purposely now on her covered patch I struggled out of the chair and accidentally on purpose trod on a few of her items, my wife simply folded the chair and wheeled it past these so helpful persons and continued on our way. 
My conclusions on all this is that everyday folk were as helpful as needed to be and very happy with the attitudes shown. These sellers and I like to think that they are in a small minority were complete and utter ar**holes and couldn’t care less about any one and my Thai wife agrees with me and was embarrassed by their attitude to us. 
As a side issue, do I have any rights on this, could I have insisted that they move their wares out of my way, would calling the police been of any value even if only to make a point. 
And yes I enjoyed a few hours watching the racing and I enjoyed the same pleasures from these sellers on my return journey plus treading on a different ladies wares. 

Tourist police would be your best bet IMO