Roi Et Immigration and applying for Non O

image.png

Hello.  Coming in on Visa Exempt. Anyone know if one can apply for Non O, 2 weeks before end of period or does Roi Et Immigration require application sooner? Also what would be the earliest to apply for 30 day extension if need more time for Non O paperwork? Sorry, another question: if applying for 30 day extension, does that extension start at the end of the first 30 days of the Visa exempt entry? Thank you in advance.

30 day extension starts from end of 30 day stamp.

It's common to apply for 30 day extension couple of weeks prior to expiry. 

Not sure how many days Roiet need to apply for non O.

Most offices minimum 15.

CM 21.

Assume you have Thai bank account 

OP you may be interested in this thread.

Bit of worry.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296821-some-imm-offices-refusing-to-do-the-change-of-visa-process-applying-for-90-day-non-imm-o-visa-from-a-visaexempt-entry/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

The type of paperwork and the time required to get it together may depend to some extent on

1. the type of one-year extension you plan to apply for after getting the non-O visa, eg to live with Thai wife or for retirement

2. your choice of proof of finances, ie cash in the bank or monthly income or a combination of the two

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Assume you have Thai bank account 

OP you may be interested in this thread.

Bit of worry.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes I have Thai bank account but will use income letter from Embassy.

"Bit of worry". Yes that is for sure. Although I have been out of the country for just over two months, my extension from O-A Visa did expire while I was away. I had it for 10 years.

The other small problem that I failed to mention is that my passport will have 8.5 months left on it when I arrive, making another possible immigration roadblock when extending "O" to a year!

Thanks again in advance.

1 minute ago, 300sd said:

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes I have Thai bank account but will use income letter from Embassy.

"Bit of worry". Yes that is for sure. Although I have been out of the country for just over two months, my extension from O-A Visa did expire while I was away. I had it for 10 years.

The other small problem that I failed to mention is that my passport will have 8.5 months left on it when I arrive, making another possible immigration roadblock when extending "O" to a year!

Thanks again in advance.

The 8.5 month validity is not huge issue.

It just means that you extension from non O retirement will have expiry dated till expiry of pp.

No big deal.

You lose few months. 

You should ditch non O-A and enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain a non O at your immigration office and subsequent extension. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The 8.5 month validity is not huge issue.

It just means that you extension from non O retirement will have expiry dated till expiry of pp.

No big deal.

You lose few months. 

You should ditch non O-A and enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain a non O at your immigration office and subsequent extension. 

Thanks for your reply. Yes my O-A extension is gone. It has expired while I have been away. It seems as though applying for a Non immigrant O at Roi Et may be a problem after reading the link you enclosed earlier.

13 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes my O-A extension is gone. It has expired while I have been away. It seems as though applying for a Non immigrant O at Roi Et may be a problem after reading the link you enclosed earlier.

Might be messy but you could provide a TM30 or rental agreement (even if a dud) at normal office such as CW to obtain a non O.

The issue is that you would need to obtain 12 month extension at that office.

Perhaps attend Roi Et office and obtain first hand info.

Fall back would be use other office.

Would require a TM30 at the very least

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Might be messy but you could provide a TM30 or rental agreement (even if a dud) at normal office such as CW to obtain a non O.

The issue is that you would need to obtain 12 month extension at that office.

Perhaps attend Roi Et office and obtain first hand info.

Fall back would be use other office.

Would require a TM30 at the very least

Thanks for your reply. Yes that sounds a little messy for sure. I'll make a visit to Roi immigration first when I get back. Perhaps a Visa agent for this situation could work well. Do you know if there is an agent for Roi Et?

The problem extends itself if I need to leave Thailand to obtain an "O" in another country because then that regulation regarding passports expiring and countries requiring over 6 month expiry date could become an issue! What a mess. Flight to Thailand is in one week.

Usually the IOs in Roi Et are very helpful and you should go there and talk your situation over and obtain their advice.

I was aware of at least 1 agent operating in Roi Et but understand they are no longer in business.

This was pre covid.

For boots on the ground info the expat bar restaurants around the lake side in the centre of Roi Et and elsewhere in the city, would be a good upto date source of the current agent situation.

Good luck.

Edited by Andycoops
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 300sd said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes that sounds a little messy for sure. I'll make a visit to Roi immigration first when I get back. Perhaps a Visa agent for this situation could work well. Do you know if there is an agent for Roi Et?

The problem extends itself if I need to leave Thailand to obtain an "O" in another country because then that regulation regarding passports expiring and countries requiring over 6 month expiry date could become an issue! What a mess. Flight to Thailand is in one week.

Usually, getting a Non O visa in Savannakhet is pretty easy, and actually involves less hassle than getting the Non O at Immigration. I assume you are planning to replace your current passport as soon as possible, but were unable to do it in your home country prior to your return. How long does it take for you to get a passport renewal in Thailand?

In your case, I would stay away from agents.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritTim said:

Usually, getting a Non O visa in Savannakhet is pretty easy, and actually involves less hassle than getting the Non O at Immigration. I assume you are planning to replace your current passport as soon as possible, but were unable to do it in your home country prior to your return. How long does it take for you to get a passport renewal in Thailand?

In your case, I would stay away from agents.

Thanks for your reply. Passport renewal from Thailand is about one month. Yes I am considering that option on Savannakhet. I would replace passport asap when timing is good. Or perhaps after first Non O extension if not before!

Just now, Andycoops said:

Usually the IOs in Roi Et are very helpful and you should go there and talk your situation over and obtain their advice.

I was aware of at least 1 agent operating in Roi Et but understand they are no longer in business.

This was pre covid.

For boots on the ground info the expat bar restaurants around the lake side in the centre of Roi Et and elsewhere in the city, would be a good upto date source of the current agent situation.

Good luck.

Thanks for that Andy. A good idea to ask first to feel it out.

2 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Thanks for your reply. Passport renewal from Thailand is about one month. Yes I am considering that option on Savannakhet. I would replace passport asap when timing is good. Or perhaps after first Non O extension if not before!

My suggestion would be to do it during the 90-day permission to stay from the Non O visa. It you apply just after a return from Savannakhet, there would be plenty of time. (or, do you need to travel during that time?)

10 hours ago, 300sd said:

Applying for the Non O from a VE entry is not a problem at Roi Et Immigration.

You need at least 15 days permission of stay remaining from your 30 day VE entry, or again you can apply for a 30-day extension if you require more time.
Will you be applying for the Non O based on 'retirement' or 'Thai spouse'?
I can supply a list of documents you'll require for either reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

My suggestion would be to do it during the 90-day permission to stay from the Non O visa.

I concur.
Once your Non O stamp is issued, then apply for a new passport immediately.
You can apply for the 1-year extension of stay up to 45 days in advance at Roi Et.

Just now, Liquorice said:

Applying for the Non O from a VE entry is not a problem at Roi Et Immigration.

You need at least 15 days permission of stay remaining from your 30 day VE entry, or again you can apply for a 30-day extension if you require more time.
Will you be applying for the Non O based on 'retirement' or 'Thai spouse'?
I can supply a list of documents you'll require for either reason.

Non O based on retirement. A list would be great thank you.

Just now, BritTim said:

My suggestion would be to do it during the 90-day permission to stay from the Non O visa. It you apply just after a return from Savannakhet, there would be plenty of time. (or, do you need to travel during that time?)

Thanks for the reply. I don't need to travel during the 90 day. I'd prefer to get the visa at Roi Et of course. So I should ask there first as advised and see what they say. I'd head to Sanannakhet if Roi Et doesn't sound good after speaking with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't need to travel during the 90 day. I'd prefer to get the visa at Roi Et of course. So I should ask there first as advised and see what they say. I'd head to Sanannakhet if Roi Et doesn't sound good after speaking with them.

That is OK. The main advantage of Savannakhet is that you get the visa the next day. At Roi Et, if there are no complications, it will be taken under consideration, and you will get the visa and 90-day permission to stay (actually, probably a few days fewer than 90) three or four weeks later. I can appreciate why getting it done without the trip to Savannakhet has attractions.

10 hours ago, 300sd said:

Non O based on retirement. A list would be great thank you.

Official Immigration procedure > VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 
TM87 form > TM-87-Application for Visa from Visa Exempt.pdf 
Checklist > Docs VE to Non Imm O.odt 

You will need to submit two identical sets of documents.
1 set Roi Et retain, the other set is sent to the regional office for approval.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritTim said:

That is OK. The main advantage of Savannakhet is that you get the visa the next day. At Roi Et, if there are no complications, it will be taken under consideration, and you will get the visa and 90-day permission to stay (actually, probably a few days fewer than 90) three or four weeks later. I can appreciate why getting it done without the trip to Savannakhet has attractions.

Thanks for that. In that case I'll most likely choose to go Savannakhet.

Just now, DodgerRodger said:

Some useful advice, especially @Liquorice @BritTim and @DrJack54 above.  But if you would like further local advice, there's a helpful Facebook group under the name Expats in Roi-et/Thailand that may help further.

Just now, Liquorice said:

Official Immigration procedure > VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 
TM87 form > TM-87-Application for Visa from Visa Exempt.pdf 
Checklist > Docs VE to Non Imm O.odt 

You will need to submit two identical sets of documents.
1 set Roi Et retain, the other set is sent to the regional office for approval.

Perfect, thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1