Electric baht busses for Pattaya......Good idea or Bad idea.....

redwood1

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe the pickups that spew out black smoke have been souped up somehow but i don't see the same smoke out of a baht bus, have you?

Sometimes yes I have... more so when I spent more time on my motorbike waiting at lights. My own pickup doesn't spew out smoke... but I certainly see plenty of others doing that usually pickups being over-revved.

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh yes, waiting for the news of that mishap with tourists being burned alive!

Give it time....

A blaze damaged three electric tour boats in Thailand‘s central Samut Prakan province this morning. The boats were recharging at a pier on the Chao Phraya river in the Phra Pradaeng district.

A security guard at the pier, 64 year old Somdet Sae Ueng, stated that the fire began when a battery on one of the tour boats exploded, and flames spread to other boats nearby.

https://thethaiger.com/news/central-thailand/blaze-damages-tour-boats-in-central-thailand

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it was, five years ago, on an empty bus and not caused by LPG/NGV..

I believe it was an NGV bus.... it certainly burned rather well. Also there was passengers and a driver on it!29340-696x557.jpg

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They have boots... baht buses do not. Where is the tank (s) located?

Minivans sure are safe...

Easy peasy a 'DOUGHNUT' tank fits where the spare wheel is, spare can be mounted on cab roof or elsewhere it 'aint rocket science. 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Worse polluters are pickups, lorries and coaches, baht buses not so bad

FYI

"The yearly hydrocarbon emissions of the average two-wheeler in urban traffic measured up to 49 times higher than that of the average car, according to the study, published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology".

No pollution controls on motorbikes, while most cars have   https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/dec/21/travelandtransport.transportintheuk

Over 21 million motorbikes on the roads in Thailand, they are a huge problem 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/twice-as-many-motorcycles-on-thai-roads-as-there-are-cars-348260

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

FYI

"The yearly hydrocarbon emissions of the average two-wheeler in urban traffic measured up to 49 times higher than that of the average car, according to the study, published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology".

No pollution controls on motorbikes, while most cars have   https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/dec/21/travelandtransport.transportintheuk

Over 21 million motorbikes on the roads in Thailand, they are a huge problem 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/twice-as-many-motorcycles-on-thai-roads-as-there-are-cars-348260

Anything more recent than 18 years old article? most bikes tested would have been big bikes, but of course no detail given as to split

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anything more recent than 18 years old article? most bikes tested would have been big bikes, but of course no detail given as to split

True, yet I would think the smaller scooters without any pollution control are the most numerous in Pattaya,  I can see their exhaust and smell it while walking.  Cars I rarely see the exhaust, yet am not sure about pollutants as you cannot see or smell CO and CO2

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

How many Baht bushes are in Pattaya?

Someone who has been here over 20 years told me over 600 as they are numbered if you look. I have seen Numbers as low as 36 and as high as 620 on the baht busses here.

Way too many and of course no set schedules.  2-4pm likely 8 out of 10 baht buses I see are empty during the day, just driving.  Walking home after 9PM, there are usually 20 or more baht buses parked at end of Beach road by Walking Street entrance just waiting.  Also 20 or more parked on second road in areas, I guess waiting for "business" or sleeping

Scheduling would benefit all drivers IMO.  Either have 3- 8 hour shifts, or 2- 12 hour shifts

Motorcycle taxis I believe are unlimited as I read you only have to show proof of ownership and register with the Department of Land transport.  Yet there is a "gangland" type fee for anyone new who wants to join with others at a favorable spot. 

Sad thing I read in a Bangkok post article (cannot post link here) is Grab and Bolt have welcomed anyone to register and many of the Orange vest guys just do not as they want more money per trip or something.  Yet many of these guys are only making around 600 baht a day or less.. 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-business-of-motorbike-taxis-in-thailand

Edited by Skallywag
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

True, yet I would think the smaller scooters without any pollution control are the most numerous in Pattaya,  I can see their exhaust and smell it while walking.  Cars I rarely see the exhaust, yet am not sure about pollutants as you cannot see or smell CO and CO2

This article is more recent and better, using London as an example. Basically motorcycles are better. I can't imagine smokey pickups are somehow better

https://www.mag-uk.org/motorcycle-nox-emissions-are-old-motorcycles-really-highly-polluting/

"the standard set by TfL for NOx emissions for motorcycles is Euro 3 and specifically 0.15g/km. When we interrogate the spreadsheet we might expect that all pre Euro 3 motorcycles show an average in excess of 0.15 g/km at 30km/h to align with TfL’s position. However what actually find is that Pre Euro 1 <50cc mopeds, all 2 strokes, Euro 2 four strokes 250 – 750cc and all four strokes >750cc average below 0.15g/km. What is more, for the “dirty 2 strokes” that we all thought would be an issue, the modelled emissions are less than half the 0.15g/km standard!"

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Easy peasy a 'DOUGHNUT' tank fits where the spare wheel is, spare can be mounted on cab roof or elsewhere it 'aint rocket science. 

Not much  capacity there to run around all day... I just have reservations about these gas conversions here. Diesel engines don't convert so well. 

7 hours ago, moogradod said:

Too late. I reserve the international version for my next order of 5 more and then it may as well act as an connection converter. Is there a limitation as to how many of plugs may be supported ?

For switching on/off and various security gimmiks like different sensors and cameras I use TAPO TP-Link which connects to a base station which then connects to the internet. What is new here is the power measurement.

Whatever you choose you'll be impressed with the different features.  They've definitely put time and money into it.  Easy and intuitive.

Anything you plug into turns into a smart device. I can have my hot water for coffee allready turned on an hour before I wake up or fan turn on from my lazyboy.

You sound like gadget guy like myself.  You'll enjoy it.

Check out there other products if you get a chance.

Cool stuff! 

Another bone head idea, what for maybe think about a master plan for developing a transportation system through Pattaya and entire area including the East linked together as one first. There is already no place for them to park etc.   

Those who continue with these ideas to enrich themselves need to be put down. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

While it would be nice to see a modern tram system, ( can’t imagine how many decades that would take and road disruptions?) what on earth is wrong with a normal bus service working on a loop ?? 
Just dreams of course, the people who own the Baht buses would not be happy chappys  would they ? Buses have more seats, more comfortable, certainly safer than Baht buses for a start. Senior cards for elderly and kids and bobs your uncle. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

While it would be nice to see a modern tram system, ( can’t imagine how many decades that would take and road disruptions?) what on earth is wrong with a normal bus service working on a loop ?? 
Just dreams of course, the people who own the Baht buses would not be happy chappys  would they ? Buses have more seats, more comfortable, certainly safer than Baht buses for a start. Senior cards for elderly and kids and bobs your uncle. 

Pattaya has tried to start a city bus system 2 times now....Both times the bus system failed miserably.....

Loads of money was spent and lost /or made by certain people depending how you look at it.....

I doubt it will be tried again after the past huge failures...

2 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Pattaya has tried to start a city bus system 2 times now....Both times the bus system failed miserably.....

Loads of money was spent and lost /or made by certain people depending how you look at it.....

I doubt it will be tried again after the past huge failures...

I remember seeing the buses lined up, being sold off at a dealer's located on Sukhumvit at the top of Threppasit.

I believe the system wasn't for local tourist but for the schools. Those buses were parked weekends to on 3td Road past the driving range. 

The problem there was no plan what so ever which seems to be the case now. Only to make a large purchase skim off the top the reason none of these leaders are worth a baht that includes the new mayor. No one had a clue where it was traveling nor it's schedule. 

I serious doubt anY leader in Pattaya has any idea or experience In Mass transit.

Edited by thailand49

On 7/4/2023 at 12:50 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Different, black smoke often comes out of pickups when accelerating away, never seen it from a baht bus

Pickups tend to drive foot to the floor for acceleration, the buses not so much.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, brianthainess said:

Yeh that'd work driving around all night lights on, in rain using wipers, even using indicators some times, and of course the horn tooting, a/c /fan in the cabin.

What could possibly go wrong 

61CwwjmXXML._AC_UL400_.webp 4.42 kB · 11 downloads

In theory, the electric baht bus would charge after it's route were complete.

You sound like some in 1910 claiming that horseless carriages are useless, because of the gasoline running out thing.

• Confused 1

Not a good idea,  the car makers estimate  that a  Battery should last the car's  life time, or 20 years  BUT  if  it has to be replaced then estimates come in at around $5000  to $15,000, given that Thai's  dont / can't plan for their future, who knows what will happen  when they have to replace the Battery at those costs......My old   pickup  is 21 years old,  and has had replacement batteries on average every 3 to 4  years in Thailand ,  in previous years   in Europe i don't recall ever replacing a Battery , must be the heat in Thailand

22 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You sound like some in 1910 claiming that horseless carriages are useless, because of the gasoline running out thing.

At this time, I still feel range anxiety is a reality with EVs... we all suspect the quoted figures are a 'best case' scenario. I used to have battery anxiety in my first ever car if driving with lights, wipers and trying to  demist screens..... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

At this time, I still feel range anxiety is a reality with EVs... we all suspect the quoted figures are a 'best case' scenario. I used to have battery anxiety in my first ever car if driving with lights, wipers and trying to  demist screens..... 

range anxiety was also an issue for horseless carriages....

• Confused 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, sirineou said:

How many Baht bushes are in Pattaya? I honestly don't know , but I am willing to bet that they will not even put a dent in the pollution problem , Probably counteract two or three people burning trash. 

I am a big proponent of the electrification of our transportation system, but this IMO is political grandstanding and lip service. 

If they want to reduce emissions they should implement a program subsidising  EV purchases. 

How about cops on the road pulling over dirty polluting pick ups and trucks...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

How about cops on the road pulling over dirty polluting pick ups and trucks...

Absolutely!! 

We see alot of smoke upfront and wife says there must be a fire, we get there and it's a pickup truck belching black smoke.

In the US it would not had made it a mile before it got pulled over. 

• Like 1