New record set for world's hottest day - as scientist warns milestone is a 'death sentence'

Social Media

image.png

The new record beats the previous figure - set back in August 2016 - and has been put down to a combination of climate change and an emerging El Nino weather pattern.

The average global temperature reached 17.01C (62.62F) on Monday, according to the US National Centres for Environmental Prediction.

The figure surpasses the previous record of 16.92C (62.46F) - set back in August 2016.

It comes as the southern US and China have been hit by heatwaves, while temperatures in North Africa have neared 50C (122F).

Experts have blamed a combination of climate change and an emerging El Nino weather pattern.

"This is not a milestone we should be celebrating," said climate scientist Friederike Otto of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change and the Environment at Britain's Imperial College London.

image.png

• Haha 1

A post written against the OP stating it was ChatGPT written, as well as a response have been removed.

17. The ASEAN NOW news team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and international sources, and republishes them in the news forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our news team works hard to bring quality content to the news forums and should be respected for their efforts. Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are disrespectful and unwelcome. Such comments will be sanctioned. Original articles, especially in the Thai or foreign language press can sometimes have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ASEAN NOW is not responsible for these nor does ASEAN NOW have the right to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ASEAN NOW is not responsible for any opinions reflected or quoted in reprinted news stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This news is already dated. New highs were reached on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. And Wednesday tied Tuesday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/hottest-day-of-the-year-2023-earth-b2371394.html

This year in Thailand in Sukhothai has been no problem, nice lot of rain and storms,  bring global warming on.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

This year in Thailand in Sukhothai has been no problem, nice lot of rain and storms,  bring global warming on.

Even if your claim wasn't false...

The Mercury in the northern province of Sukhothai, Thailand's former capital, has shot to 44 degrees Celsius, the highest the province has ever registered in April, and nearing the highest ever recorded in the country of 44.5 degrees in Uttaradit.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2016/04/13/forecasters-warn-of-heat-stroke-in-thailand.html

it would only go to show that you don't understand the difference between weather and climate. If, contrary to fact, Sukkothai had avoided extreme temperatures this year, which it didn't, that would just have been luck.

• Haha 2

I’ve noticed the difference in my lifetime it does seem warmer and less rain.I’ve also strongly noticed less sea life I’ve been intimately involved in the sea all of my life childhood live aboard (schooner) cruising 34 years as a working diver the water is cleaner than in my childhood but is now a desert much much less life and warmer don’t kid yourself things are changing 

• Confused 1