Is it okay to lie to your partner of 5 years?

4 things

Check the Chonote to see if she's gambled your "home" away.

Do NOT buy any more land.

Ask to see any jewellery you may have bought her

and please don't get her pregnant.

'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are my thoughts. You really must confront her today or follow her to the village. If a couple cannot trust each other, the relationship is already dead and you are just living together. She is clearly not suitable to be your wife if you can't trust her. If she has been lying to you, eg she has a boyfriend or she's been gambling, you should end the relationship on the spot because these behaviours won't change even after she says, "I'm sorry tee ruk. I'll never do it again, etc." I think that your relationship is already dead. Sorry to be so frank.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, novacova said:

Personally I would would first ask and if not satisfied with the answers, then go and see what’s going on, though not being a coward and not confrontational either. That’s just me, at this point in my life I can handle just about anything, fear is your worst enemy.

It's not only you who has to be cool. Imagine she has a lover in that other place and imagine she told that lover that he beats her up. Then look what happens. Do you have a gun with you? Are you prepared to use it? If not, then better think twice. 

10 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

you should end the relationship on the spot because these behaviours won't change

People change, for the better or worse and the other way around.

Gambling: had that problem. No problem anymore.

Drugs: had that problem. No problem anymore.

A lot depends on how willing both are to compromise and how much they want to be together with each other.

I wouldn't start a relationship with a gambling drug addict. But after years of (hopefully happily) living together, I think partners should try first to find a solution.

Otherwise, the next partner will come and the same "I walk away from this" "solution" will be more likely.

Many of us can change if we want to.

• Like 1

...Harsh Reality...

...Zero Respect For You...

...Only Not Hiding It Anymore...

...5 Years /20K Month/Probably Much More As You Make Excuses For Her At Every Turn...

...So 2-3 Million...No Strings Attached...

...You Got What You Asked/Paid For...

...& Obviously So Did She...

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's not only you who has to be cool. Imagine she has a lover in that other place and imagine she told that lover that he beats her up. Then look what happens. Do you have a gun with you? Are you prepared to use it? If not, then better think twice. 

That’s quite the imagination, though not likely. Even so, then so what. Confidence is paramount. If one is timid to point of being so restricted, then grab a couple of her family members and go investigate. If the relations with the family members are so lacking, then sorry, it looks like someone has got themselves in an awkward unpleasant situation and possibly without remedy.

Edited by novacova

9 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

This is not a court case, so I would not think that 'proof' is worth anything.

Either this has a harmless explanation or it does not, so either there comes an explanation or acceptable confession, or not. No need to do any 'convincing' for that -- if that is necessary, the whole thing is doomed anyway.

As I said "If you go". If he was inclined to go to that location, it would not be a good idea to confront her there. "prove" he already has. Just showing her the picture would loosen her lips. Nothing would need to be said.

18 hours ago, Isan Wanderer said:

I don't want our relationship to end like that after 5 years together

Many people tolerate infidelity in relationships, some even think it helps maintaining a good relationship. Just don’t think of her as your property and let her live her life as she pleases, if you’re capable of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Yeah?

You think so?

Uhmm, yes. Many people have open relationships. If anyone doesn’t think so, then they’ve been living under a rock. If anyone thinks it’s wrong, well then they’re just intolerant of how other people choose to live. Its none of my business, and quite frankly none of your business either. ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

gambling addiction

Lots of people, and especially Thai people, like gambling.

Not everybody who plays regularly is addicted.

I.e. when my gf is up country then sometimes she plays cards maybe 24h without break. And the next day she sleeps. And then likely no cards for a couple of months.

Maybe the wife of the OP is just bored at home, or maybe she wants to talk Thai with her friends for hours, And maybe she gambles.

It doesn't have to be an addiction.

And maybe she knows that if she tells him that she plays cards then she knows he will be upset. "Thai solution": Don't tell him, tell him some BS story.

Is that good. Not really. But maybe it is not as bad as some people think it is.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, novacova said:

Uhmm, yes. Many people have open relationships. If anyone doesn’t think so, then they’ve been living under a rock. If anyone thinks it’s wrong, well then they’re just intolerant of how other people choose to live. Its none of my business, and quite frankly none of your business either. ????

He who pays the piper calls the bloody tune, and that's how it works.

Thais will always push the boundaries to see how far they can go, it's in their DNA.

And BTW open relationships do take place with the consent and knowledge of both parties.

It's not a case of give me my 20,000 baht a month, I'll do nothing for it except sneak around, not help in the house, I won't cook, clean or look after the kid as that is not as exciting as going out gambling and messing around with Thai men.

Many of these women come with baggage such as kids (or they are tattooed to high heaven from their time working in the bars) when their ' Thai men ' have got bored of them and they are then seeking security.

Only when they get a stable relationship with a foreigner that is prepared to offer a great deal, they get bored and want to go back to their reckless ways, usually at the expense of the forgiving foreigner.,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

He who pays the piper calls the bloody tune, and that's how it works.

Thais will always push the boundaries to see how far they can go, it's in their DNA.

And BTW open relationships do take place with the consent and knowledge of both parties.

It's not a case of give me my 20,000 baht a month, I'll do nothing for it except sneak around, not help in the house, I won't cook, clean or look after the kid as that is not as exciting as going out gambling and messing around with Thai men.

Many of these women come with baggage such as kids (or they are tattooed to high heaven from their time working in the bars) when their ' Thai men ' have got bored of them and they are then seeking security.

Only when they get a stable relationship with a foreigner that is prepared to offer a great deal, they get bored and want to go back to their reckless ways, usually at the expense of the forgiving foreigner.,

Everything above connects to some kind of women, and for sure not as general view on thai women. 

Yes many single moms go tourist places to find a cow or more to milk obviously, and those who fall for it, tends to make wide generalizing on behalf of all women. 

It is okay to be smart, and seriously, nothing comes out of the blue, and in most cases the men is the ones to blame who, let this happen.

Why does it happen so often? Because the women is to smart for them? Give me some decent answers, not just give all the thai women vad names.

I think this is a wind up post cos most wouldn't post this question in the 1st place but ok let's play. First,  you will never be accepted into the Thai family, Second she will be seeing the thai b/f in the Village who has sat back taking most of the 20k you are giving her, Most village people in Issan scrape to survive they certainly cannot afford to gamble frequently, as posted we in the west understand when we are being lied to and respond Thais do not, they believe lying is normal and is acceptable. No point confronting her or sneaking around her village as soon as they get a sniff your checking up they will stick together and lie and you will get " Darling I love you I would never lie do you not love me " and as with most who are ruled by there heart not their head that they cave in. Man up ditch her and move on before your left potless.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

I think this is a wind up post cos most wouldn't post this question in the 1st place but ok let's play. First,  you will never be accepted into the Thai family, Second she will be seeing the thai b/f in the Village who has sat back taking most of the 20k you are giving her, Most village people in Issan scrape to survive they certainly cannot afford to gamble frequently, as posted we in the west understand when we are being lied to and respond Thais do not, they believe lying is normal and is acceptable. No point confronting her or sneaking around her village as soon as they get a sniff your checking up they will stick together and lie and you will get " Darling I love you I would never lie do you not love me " and as with most who are ruled by there heart not their head that they cave in. Man up ditch her and move on before your left potless.

Another wannabe expert. 

Only because you have a vague idea what could possibly happen doesn't mean this is what actually happens.

What's the point of your wild speculation? I was here, I also said something?

Yeah, sure.