Mahasarakham Immigration Office - 12 Month Marriage Extension

Just in case anyone is interested I visited Masarakham's new immigration building to renew my marriage extension today (5 July 2023). Why they need a whole building, I'm not sure. Up to last year they all lived in a shed next to the police pistol range. Bang, bang, bang all day.  The new building is very nice with air conditioning, plenty of seating, a vast parking lot (including plenty of undercover spots) etc. It's always nice to drive up to a government building and be confronted by a vast (and empty) parking lot.

I went to the bank in the morning and also got my marriage print-out from the Tambon office. We went in the afternoon and one other farang was there with an agent. We were served straight away. A lady skimmed through my collection of paperwork for 5 or 10 minutes and then gave it to the officer behind the desk. No copies required. The officer spent about 15 minutes processing it all before giving me back my passport (she was also efficient enough to do my 90 day report). As usual, my wife chatted away with the officers and entertained them. She wandered out into the back offices and talked to the enforcement people hidden away from the public. It was all very civilised and amiable. The air conditioning, lack of a queue (and lack of critical perusal of any details) helped the ambience no end.

I think it's best to visit this office in the afternoon. They can be busy in the mornings, but most afternoons are quiet. The officers are winding down after lunch and normally in a good mood.

• Like 2

A point form of documents you provided would be more helpful..

You did not mention one. 

You did state...

"The air conditioning, lack of a queue (and lack of critical perusal of any details) helped the ambience no end." 

Really? 

Edited by DrJack54

The fact that your wife has developed an excellent rapport with the officials no doubt also contributes to your good experience. Personal relationships are gold when it comes to dealing with Thai officialdom.

Sorry, I should have clarified that, of course, my passport is stamped 'under consideration'. They will call me when it is approved so I can get the final stamp.

The documents required for Mahasarakham marriage extension are:

• Passport
  • Copy passport and pages with all stamps relevant to entry/departure (no TM6 (Arrival/Departure card) needed these days)
  • Form T.M. 7 completed in hand writing in blue ink, plus passport-sized photo.
  • Original Kor Por 2 Confirmation of Marriage (recently obtained from Council)
  • Copy Marriage certificate and certified translation (if originally married overseas)
  • Bank letter and statement (original obtained same day)
  • Copy bank book and pages going back 2 months
  • Copy spouse ID
  • Copy spouse blue house book
  • Map showing how to get to your house from the nearest town or highway (keep simple)
  • 4 photos (one per A4 sheet) of couple in kitchen, dining room, outside front door, outside front gate (showing house number). The last is important.

All copies must be signed individually or jointly, as appropriate. At the moment, the office will accept just the one set (e.g. extra copies not needed). You need to bring your original bank book/s and yellow house book/proof of residency in case they ask to check.

You may or may not be subject to a 'house visit' during the under consideration period. They will tell you this when they have processed your paperwork. If not, there are usually a few forms to be signed on the spot.