Tourism officials expect Thailand to welcome up to 30 million visitors in 2023

snoop1130

I guess they are counting Thai travelers. There is no way in hell that they will get that many international tourists. I guess they do count transit tourists in their numbers, but still they need to get a grip and give semi realistic numbers that we could actually see happening. China is not coming back in droves, Russians already came to get away from a possible draft, and the post Covid travelers that were stuck out of Thailand till they opened their borders are back. Dream on TAT. Dream on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the level of arrivals to date I think it's more likely around the middle rather than the top end of their 2023 24-30 million forecast range i.e. 27 million. To reach the high end would require  Chinese arrivals to double from current levels through July-December, no sign or indication of that happening yet from what I've read.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jcmj said:

I guess they are counting Thai travelers. There is no way in hell that they will get that many international tourists. I guess they do count transit tourists in their numbers, but still they need to get a grip and give semi realistic numbers that we could actually see happening. China is not coming back in droves, Russians already came to get away from a possible draft, and the post Covid travelers that were stuck out of Thailand till they opened their borders are back. Dream on TAT. Dream on. 

It is why this country is stuck in the doldrums, how can those who rely on accurate figures for planning etc expect TAT to say anything negative like they will have to do some work to attract tourists, easier to say we are doing a good job and exspect to see 30 million with no way of the figures being followed up. 

8 hours ago, Almer said:

It is why this country is stuck in the doldrums, how can those who rely on accurate figures for planning etc expect TAT to say anything negative like they will have to do some work to attract tourists, easier to say we are doing a good job and exspect to see 30 million with no way of the figures being followed up. 

From the article " TAT says that IF things continue at this rate Thailand CAN expect UP TO 30 million visitors ".  Note their words, it's a forecast not gospel. They were actually proved correct in their forecasts last year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kinyara said:

From the article " TAT says that IF things continue at this rate Thailand CAN expect UP TO 30 million visitors ".  Note their words, it's a forecast not gospel. They were actually proved correct in their forecasts last year.

How do you or anybody else know the figures were correct last year, I have no doubt they will be correct again this year, but how do they gather the figures? 

13 minutes ago, Almer said:

How do you or anybody else know the figures were correct last year, I have no doubt they will be correct again this year, but how do they gather the figures? 

In simple terms tourist arrivals, ( and departures ) are recorded at all the entry points to the country through the immigration computer system. The National Office of Statistics do all the analysis of the data gathered and the Ministry of Sports and Tourism report and publish it monthly, quarterly and annually via their official website. It's a fairly straightforward data gathering and reporting process that TAT aren't involved in. I've noticed Vietnam report their numbers the first week after the month end but with Thailand it's the last week of the month. Like many things it's really no different to how any other countries operate.

• Like 1

In Pattaya there is a marked increase in the number of Chinese here. In my condo complex, on the beach, parasailing, they are young independant travellers. It was predicted that their numbers would steadily rise during the year and they are.

• Like 1