AFAIK you don't have to pay property tax on your condo if you live there yourself and have the yellow housebook.

What do you do if you get a tax bill anyway?

Where to go and show your yellow housebook?

Or am I supposed to show the yellow housebook to the tax office (which one? The local revenue office or the regional revenue office?) before i get a tax bill?

• Confused 1

Where do you live? The tax is at the municipal level. My property tax office is in the City Hall, Pattaya.

Show the book at the office where you pay the taxes in person. The tax bill normally has the tax office address or at least a phone number to ask questions. 

If the bill has been issued, it's too late to get relief for the current billing period. The book had to be registered in the land tax office before the first day of the tax year.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Where do you live? The tax is at the municipal level. My property tax office is in the City Hall, Pattaya.

So this is not the office of the revenue department?

I live in Bangkok, no idea where to go.

I will try to ask our juristic person. 

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I messaged my local city hall and we discussed the need for a yellow book etc, if you've received a bill contact details may be on there

This is exactly what my juristic person says. 

But I don't have a bill yet, and according to Banana's post it would be better not to wait for the bill. I will find out the contact details and ask. 

My "City hall" (= Khet in Bangkok) is far away.  It's the same place that issued my yellow house book last year,  but I guess I still have to go there and register it with them.

• Like 1

AFAIK there’s only property tax payable upon purchase, but none at subsequent years. (If it is primary residence.) Otherwise go to your Municipal Office or Dep’t of Land and Housing and register as primary residence.

1 hour ago, CecilM said:

AFAIK there’s only property tax payable upon purchase, but none at subsequent years. (If it is primary residence.) Otherwise go to your Municipal Office or Dep’t of Land and Housing and register as primary residence.

You have to prove that with a yellow book, without it you have to pay

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

But I don't have a bill yet, and according to Banana's post it would be better not to wait for the bill. I will find out the contact details and ask. 

My "City hall" (= Khet in Bangkok) is far away.  It's the same place that issued my yellow house book last year,  but I guess I still have to go there and register it with them.

Maybe email or phone them and ask for the Line contact of that team, much easier on Line 

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You have to prove that with a yellow book, without it you have to pay

They (the Khet = Amphoe) are the ones who issued the yellow book - do I still have to go at the same place again and register ?

Edited by Lorry

32 minutes ago, Lorry said:

They (the Khet = Amphoe) are the ones who issued the yellow book - do I still have to go at the same place again and register ?

It may be different in some places, check if they need the yellow book, different department 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

The land office has nothing to do with house book (yellow or blue) and AFAIK they have nothing to do with the tax.

I have 2 units in BKK. I used to be registered in one of them but moved out about 5 years ago. There are 2 names registered in that house book now. Last week I got the bill for the tax - only for the other unit which no one is registered as living in.

I never took the blue book to the land office to register anything with them.

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The land office has nothing to do with house book (yellow or blue) and AFAIK they have nothing to do with the tax.

I have 2 units in BKK. I used to be registered in one of them but moved out about 5 years ago. There are 2 names registered in that house book now. Last week I got the bill for the tax - only for the other unit which no one is registered as living in.

I never took the blue book to the land office to register anything with them.

Did you ever take the yellow book to the district office (not land office) to get exempted from the property tax?

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

In Pattaya, the City Hall issued the yellow book and I had to take it down to the property tax department in City Hall to register it, so I didn't have to pay in future years. I assumed the 2 departments in the same City Hall would coordinate, but they didn't. Of course your City Hall may work differently. I recommend you go to the Khet with the yellow book and the bill.

Edited by Banana7

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

In Pattaya, the City Hall issued the yellow book and I had to take it down to the property tax department in City Hall to register it, so I didn't have to pay in future years. I assumed the 2 departments in the same City Hall would coordinate, but they didn't. Of course your City Hall may work differently. I recommend you go to the Khet with the yellow book and the bill.

Thanks a lot. I will call them first,  but I suspected already it's the way you describe. 2 departments in the same district office,  not coordinating.

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

Did you ever take the yellow book to the district office (not land office) to get exempted from the property tax?

It's a blue book for me, and no. My name was added to the book at the district office soon after I bought the unit even though I didn't actually live there, and back then there was no tax collection as far as I can remember. My 2nd visit to the district office was about 5 years ago to remove my name from the book after I was registered in another province.

When I bought the 2nd unit I never got the blue book from the seller who claimed he lost it. I never bothered to get a new book for that unit.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you're getting confused with purchase transfer taxes

What I’m trying to say is that of the u it is primary residence, then never any taxes (beyond the first one).

If it is not primary residence then it is taxes yearly, like one can see all the vacant land now being turned into plantations to reduce/lower the tax rate. 

FYI - just paid the yearly property tax for my condo in Pattaya (not my reg. address and rented out) 486 THB for 69sqm, my house (company named) was 509 THB....so very reasonable 

Edited by MrJ

On 7/8/2023 at 11:59 PM, Banana7 said:

I just called my Khet. It's exactly the same.  I have to go to the tax department in the Khet to register my house registration,  which was issued by the same Khet, but another department. 

On 7/10/2023 at 11:08 AM, Lorry said:

I just called my Khet. It's exactly the same.  I have to go to the tax department in the Khet to register my house registration,  which was issued by the same Khet, but another department. 

I went there today.

House registration was issued on the first floor. 

Registration of the house registration to be exempt from property tax had to be done on the second floor. Took 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Lorry said:

I went there today.

House registration was issued on the first floor. 

Registration of the house registration to be exempt from property tax had to be done on the second floor. Took 20 minutes. 

So getting a yellow book there wasn't too onerous? unlike Pattaya

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

So getting a yellow book there wasn't too onerous? unlike Pattaya

Getting the yellow book was not easy,  it's a long story.  But doable.

What I did today was register the yellow book at the same Khet to get tax exemption. 

Actually,  the reason why I went through all the hassles to get the yellow book was the tax exemption.  Once I had it, I thought my condo is now exempt from the property tax.

How was I supposed to know that I still had to register the yellow book (= house registration book) at the same Khet, but another floor?

• Like 1