Mia Noi?

sethieboy

Hi all-

So as a SWM I meet lotsa nice women over here and I don't want to lead any of them on....

I'm not looking for a faen, I am looking for a lover.... and I have no clue how to say this.

Any replies with tones appreciated!

Warmly

SB

The Thai word "fan" has many meanings. My wife (of 9 years) refers to me as "fan". Her friend recently got herself a boyfriend and he is also her "fan".

"Friend" is "puean" and is really just an acquaintance, not a boy-(or girl-) friend and certainly not a "lover".

Now "mia noi" first of all supposes (I believe) that you have a first wife, i.e. be married. The mia noi is then your second wife with almost the same rights and duties. I guess that's not what you have in mind.

It seems to me that you are actually looking for what Thai people call "fan", a committed and exclusive relationship with a girl.

About being exclusive ... :o well, ahm, take your time

The word you are looking for is "gik" (I believe it derives from the English slang "gig" - which was originated by North American jazz musicians - although I'm not completely certain if that is the source here). In Thai, "gik" refers to a casual sexual relationship.

Edited by mangkorn

thanks all

A very nice massage woman last night informed that "gik"or "geek" is what I was after.... thanks for the confirmation mangkorn.

And don't worry, I'm not in a rush to be exclusive! :o Just want to find someone with good chemistry and connection.

gik is from the word "goog-gik" means being cute/having fun/playful together secretly.

There are many young couples in thailand who have gik as well as fan (boyfriend/grilfriend), but if you're married and have another woman it's not "gik" it's "mia noi"

gik is from the word "goog-gik" means being cute/having fun/playful together secretly.

There are many young couples in thailand who have gik as well as fan (boyfriend/grilfriend), but if you're married and have another woman it's not "gik" it's "mia noi"

Thanks for explaining the origin, Khun Yee. "goog-gik" was a new one for me. But now I think it's sometimes used with (or interchangeable with) "juu-jee" - no?

And, speaking of "gik", how would you translate "ประชาธิปไตยไม่ใช่แค่กิ๊ก", the name of one of the student groups opposed to the new constitution?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for explaining the origin, Khun Yee. "goog-gik" was a new one for me. But now I think it's sometimes used with (or interchangeable with) "juu-jee" - no?

Juu-jee I think means the same as playboy or player. They call a guy that has many girls "snake head" or Im sure you have heard of butterfly.

Even if you're married, could a "gik" not refer to a woman you're having a short casual sexual relationship with, as opposed to your long-term "mia noi" who is a kept woman.

As was said above, that would rather be a 'chuu' than a 'gik'.

Right, but I get the feeling that with the current popularity of the word 'gik', it might be 'interchangeable' at times. I've just been having a beer with a Thai friend, whose wife told me she thinks he has a 'gik'.