Is a Drug to Treat Cannabis Addiction Finally Within Reach?

Addiction is a disease and you won’t recognize it unless you worked in the field or had someone close to you who suffered or died!

Use, abuse and misuse of substances including alcohol is as old as the hills.

Many people indulge without any harm. It doesn’t mean to say that another person can do the same without harmful effects.

I have known people who smoked all their life and never had lung cancer or drank alcohol all their life but never had cirrhosis. Sadly they are in a minority. Several factors contribute to becoming addicted to not only alcohol and substances but internet ; sex; love ; food . The addictive behavior takes over and controls your life, you become a ‘Slave’ to it!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, you doubting Thomases! lol 

56 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Most users live in their little bubble of normality, i.e. I'm not addicted so there is no addiction, I'm not violent so there is no violence.

Some of us in the judiciary or medical field see what happens when it all goes wrong, and I can tell you that your bubble of normality is well and truly burst for us.

I think you explained it so eloquently at the bottom of your post:

"All pigs fed & ready to fly."

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2023 at 5:10 AM, pomchop said:

Weed?  off and on all my adult life but not one time did i ever wake up in middle of the night when a blizzard was raging, get dressed, drive through blizzard til i found a place to get cigs and feed the addiction.  Every one in a while i might thing gee maybe i will smoke a joint but sure would never ever go to the lengths that nicotine took me.

Know exactly what you mean, been there, done that!  I was the car in front lol!

Just my observational opinion, but based on my observations of many friends and some relatives this “addiction” is primarily psychological. That said I do know of two tragic instances where it could honestly have been a gateway to heroin use. Again, a “decision” to try something “more”, but the more is defo addicting.

• Haha 1

If one is not addicted then there is no need for dependency of it for anything, won’t need it to cope, relax no urge for it, same with alcohol. There are many levels of dependency and addiction. My addiction is coffee and a clear head. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tazmo said:

Addiction is a disease and you won’t recognize it unless you worked in the field or had someone close to you who suffered or died!

Use, abuse and misuse of substances including alcohol is as old as the hills.

Many people indulge without any harm. It doesn’t mean to say that another person can do the same without harmful effects.

I have known people who smoked all their life and never had lung cancer or drank alcohol all their life but never had cirrhosis. Sadly they are in a minority. Several factors contribute to becoming addicted to not only alcohol and substances but internet ; sex; love ; food . The addictive behavior takes over and controls your life, you become a ‘Slave’ to it!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, you doubting Thomases! lol 

I've never really "got" the classification of addiction as a disease. I was addicted to nicotine, still am to some extent, but I quit. Used to drink but quit. Switched to low carb diet - you may laugh, but giving up sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc is not easy after 70 years. To me it's simply STOP. Now how many other "diseases" can I cure like that? And regarding weed addiction. At university, the worst that could be described as an effect of smoking it, which we middle class white undergraduates did daily for months at a time, was the reluctance to get off the floor and go to lectures and seminars. No psychosis, no CUD, MAD, SUD nor any other depiction of addiction. Really, cannabis abuse, if it exists, is surely most likely to be caused by poverty, deprivation, and social situation, not the supposedly addictive properties of THC. Compared to crack/opioids synthetic or otherwise.... Well, I don't think there IS a comparison. It's just guilt by association.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From your experience and the way you managed has worked well for you and I have no doubt that you worked hard to achieve the results you got.

But by addiction I am referring to the over indulgence/ excessive use to a point where the individual is unable to function or recognize there is a problem until he/ she hits rock bottom.
You really need to see it to understand or believe. I am not going to try to convince or argue with you.

Some are able to deal with it while others struggle big time.

• Confused 1

Actually coming up (true this) it IS fifty years since I first smoked da demon weed.

Went through a period in my "yoof" where I smoked it frequently (for a while, yes every day all day) then got on with my life got married and had children, spliffs became more and more infrequent - sometimes years between tokes.

NOW with the easy availabilty - every couple of days I'll have a mild spliff. Bored with it - the buzz is OK but not something I want to do all the time.

There are addictive personalities that will get addicted to ANYTHING - it's not the fault of the chemical, it is with the person.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funny to read all those who smoke "weed" everyday or every other day and boasting that they are not addicted.

There's no reason to start smoking "weed" at all. All the so-called treatment from cannabis is actually the "myth". People just want to feel good by it.

If you can't stop smoking cannabis forever, you ARE addicted.

Edited by drmal
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, drmal said:

Funny to read all those who smoke "weed" everyday or every other day and boasting that they are not addicted.

There's no reason to start smoking "weed" at all. All the so-called treatment from cannabis is actually the "myth". People just want to feel good by it.

If you can't stop smoking cannabis forever, you ARE addicted.

Yes, that was my take too.