Japanese tourism numbers in Thailand threatened by weak yen and slow Japan flight reintroduction

webfact

image.jpeg

In light of Japan’s hesitant return to tourism and a faltering yen, Thailand’s Tourism Authority (TAT) has admitted there may be difficulty in meeting the year’s target of 850,000 Japanese arrivals. The figure reflects 50% of the Japanese tourism figures reported in 2019, considered an optimistic scenario by the Tokyo office director of TAT, Kajorndet Apichartrakul.

As enclosed by Kajorndet, the sluggish revival of Japan’s outbound tourism industry has been attributed to their currency’s weakened position against the baht, currently averaging at 100 yen per 24 baht, a significant drop from a prior rate of 30 baht. The consequent financial strain on potential travellers is further exacerbated by Japan’s national encouragement for domestic travel as a more cost-effective means, impacting Japanese tourism in Thailand.

Another key factor slowing down the recovery of Japan’s tourism rates is the lagging reintroduction of flights between Thailand and Japan, which is at present only 30 to 40% of the volume recorded in 2019. The director highlights that elevated flight costs remain an obstacle, yet expresses cautious optimism for improvement within the year as flight schedules are adjusted.

by Alex Morgan 

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-tourism-numbers-threatened-by-weak-yen-and-slow-japan-flight-reintroduction

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

and a faltering yen

nothing to do with the baht value at all.

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

Another key factor slowing down the recovery of Japan’s tourism rates is the lagging reintroduction of flights between Thailand and Japan, which is at present only 30 to 40%

clearly the demand is not there. 

mirror mirror on the wall...whos the greatest of them all. 

• Like 1

It seems that the TAT sees Thailand as some sort of a tourist's Mecca whereby it's a forgone conclusion and its goes without saying that tourists from all over the world are expected to visit Thailand no matter what.

• Like 1

All these contrived numbers from TAT is pure fiction.  Absolute nonsense.  Total garbage.  

There is nothing but downside to tourism moving forward.  The halcyon days of too many tourists are over and what's left?  A land of rip offs and not adventure, just open sewers and rats, heat and stench.  

Honestly Thailand is no longer fun its just unimpressive.  This is one of the biggest headwinds a place like Thailand can have.  They thrived on over the top tourism from China and look at them now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Japanese are scared of covid. They wear masks more.

Really.....more than Thailand?

I recently read that they are down to 1 birth per woman.....every generation being half of the previous.

47 minutes ago, h90 said:

Really.....more than Thailand?

I recently read that they are down to 1 birth per woman.....every generation being half of the previous.

They are not not. It is social pressure. Mostly inside. 

My experience during covid was seeing when they go to the US they relaxed, like Saudi women doffing their abayas  in Geneva

Last month at AEON shopping in Narita it was 100 percent. Not one unmasked shopper except little kids. Almost every employed person in the public spaces anywhere is masked. Do not see how it ends.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

My experience during covid was seeing when they go to the US they relaxed, like Saudi women doffing their abayas  in Geneva

Last month at AEON shopping in Narita it was 100 percent. Not one unmasked shopper except little kids. Almost every employed person in the public spaces anywhere is masked. Do not see how it ends.

you make me pessimistic.....I thought only Thailand and I see improvement here.

14 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Pretty much true. Employees who face the public are still largely masked, even though it is no longer mandated.  At my schools, the students (uni age)are about 50/50, with boys about 80% mask free and the girls 80% still masked. I think the girls like it because they don't have to spend time putting on make up in the morning, they can just wear a mask and go.

I did an oral  English test interview job last weekend (Eiken test) and we HAD to wear masks when interviewing test takers. Ironically, masks were optional for those taking the test. 

As for tourism, the yen has taken a kicking for sure. I would be stressed if I had to spend yen to travel this summer. It is now over 140 yen to the US dollar. Not long ago it was 110.  

• Like 1