Outgoing Thai PM found guilty of neglect of duty over PM2.5 pollution

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In an attempt to be unbiased none of the previous coup or civilian governments seemed to bother either.

Exactly. When I first came here back in 1979 they were doing this and today they still are.

Only one thing has changed.

Back then Chiang Mai was way way smaller than it is today and there wasn't a fraction of the traffic. Now , compounding the forest fires is all the increasing pollution created by the traffic and more industrialised nature of the city.

I'd lay a bet that 2 years from now it will still be a problem but who will take that bet ?

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It is a Thai problem, so why are you getting upset. There is nothing that you can do about it anyway.

not getting upset far from it and totally agree Thai problem but thais are so apathetic nothing will happen

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Exactly. When I first came here back in 1979 they were doing this and today they still are.

Only one thing has changed.

Back then Chiang Mai was way way smaller than it is today and there wasn't a fraction of the traffic. Now , compounding the forest fires is all the increasing pollution created by the traffic and more industrialised nature of the city.

I'd lay a bet that 2 years from now it will still be a problem but who will take that bet ?

only a fool would take that bet

On 7/11/2023 at 12:48 PM, MikeandDow said:

Road traffic is indeed responsible for most of Bangkok’s seasonal air pollution,

Hard to figure that's correct... though I have seen it claimed in various places.

Yes... BKK has a lot of traffic, more than other provinces... But it doesn't suddenly get drastically worse every year just from December thru April.

Instead, that's the agricultural burning period in both Thailand and surrounding countries, and it's mainly the pollution from that burning that wafts across the country and elevates PM2.5 to very bad levels in BKK and elsewhere throughout Thailand.

And when the burning is done, the pollution related to other stuff -- vehicle emissions, industrial activity, etc. -- reverts back to their ongoing background levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hard to figure that's correct... though I have seen it claimed in various places.

Yes... BKK has a lot of traffic, more than other provinces... But it doesn't suddenly get drastically worse every year just from December thru April.

Instead, that's the agricultural burning period in both Thailand and surrounding countries, and it's mainly the pollution from that burning that wafts across the country and elevates PM2.5 to very bad levels in BKK and elsewhere throughout Thailand.

And when the burning is done, the pollution related to other stuff -- vehicle emissions, industrial activity, etc. -- reverts back to their ongoing background levels.

Spot on!   During the peak burning period of around Dec-Apr pollution goes way up across most of Thailand....and cities like Chiang Mai and Bangkok really suffer.   

But there are those in the govt in trying to cover up the true reason that try to blame the big increase during the Dec-Apr on vehicles.   Then I ask myself is it because millions of additional vehicles suddenly started running from Dec-Apr and then stop running for the rest of the year  OR is it the burning of the fields/forest?   And the correct answer is the latter. 

3 hours ago, Pib said:

But there are those in the govt in trying to cover up the true reason that try to blame the big increase during the Dec-Apr on vehicles.

The current outgoing Thai government, and various of those that preceded it, have/had close ties to the very large agribusiness interests who have financial stakes in the burning issue. Thus, little to nothing has been done thru the years, while the local populations suffer.