When living in Thailand what VPN are you using?

advancebooking

I use Ivacy based in Singapore, responsive support, works for the BBC etc. etc.

Best offer comes out at around USD 1 per month, pretty close to free ???? 

image.png.3370f30c51a2995812bd74a5d4c6d429.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really depends on what exact purpose the user really wants to accomplish with using a VPN...

The non US and EU-based VPNs theoretically have advantages in terms of not beings so legally vulnerable to government intrusion / monitoring -- in the event the user was doing something that  would trigger that kind of interest.

But other than that, streaming of video content is a different major use.... And in that categories, different VPNs perform vastly differently in terms of which particular video streaming services a person is trying to use/unlock.

I have a bunch of different VPN subscriptions, and use different of them for different purposes, as needed. Even among the major, most well known ones, their websites often will claim they'll unlock pretty much everything.... but in reality, that's often not the case.

And it becomes a matter of trial and error to find out what really works for a particular purpose.

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

99%of the time I don't use a VPN.

I only use it if I want to look i.e. at the USA amazon page pretending I am over there.

I use NordVPN. Until now it does the job.

I recently changed after 4 years with Express, to NORD. Express = $116 per year, NORD = $90 for 2 years. Says it all. Works fine. 

As OMF says, I do not use it so often and can get onto Amazon US if I ever need to, without using it. UK TV is available of course, but who needs to watch so much rubbish?

I mostly have it to share with my sons in Dubai who need it to use Whats App or other phone apps.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, connda said:

99% of the time my VPN is on.  1% of the time I turn if off for sites like Lazada.

Why do you have it on? For what?

Personally I am pretty sure that the NSA and others know anyhow what we write and do. 

And I don't worry about any Thai ISP checking my torrents or anything like that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

99%of the time I don't use a VPN.

I only use it if I want to look i.e. at the USA amazon page pretending I am over there.

I use NordVPN. Until now it does the job.

does it just let you look or are you opened up to more products available to be sent here to thailand ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I want to look i.e. at the USA amazon page pretending I am over there.

I never use a VPN to peruse the US Amazon page, never needed one.

Perhaps because1 I've got a US address and Thai address attached to my account. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Express VPN...easy and efficient

Express worked on my laptop but never on my Samsung phone.  My IP was always visible.

Unless your doing something nefarious there's no reason to use a VPN in Thailand unless you need your geo location changed for a tv channel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have SurfShark - works well , but generally only use it when I want to visit US or Australia based sites. Slows things down too much for local stuff - but ad blocker is epic! 

• Like 1

I use Surfshark, 30 USD a year for a 2 year subscription. 

I do use it a lot, mostly for banking, online shopping,  and streaming sports. It's worked so good I will probably keep on renewing every 2 years. 

I also have an IPTV subscription. It doesn't work very well(lot's of channels don't work or freeze up). I'm not going to renew it when it expires in Oct. My neighbor has a much better version that I'll probably sign up for. 

• Like 1

I stumbled into Proton which is Swiss which is European but of course Switzerland is famous for security. It's not cheap. Massive number of servers and you can pick ones that are optimized for torrents which I like a lot and I need with my rather slow torrent blocking Sim card in router. 

What I don't like is that you can't pick specific locations in the U.S. Say you want to login from the LA area. Well you can't unless you randomly connect to a bunch of IPs until you hit one that's there.

Edited by Jingthing

I use ExpressVPN but find that only certain servers offer me access to sites such as Showtime.  The server for showtime is erratic with a slow speed.   So you have to have a certain US server to get the shows that you want.  You can telephone support and they will advise you which server to use.

I have lived here for 10 years now, and still never had the need or desire for a VPN. Plenty of apps if I really want to watch TV from home. All my banking etc is encrypted. Or I just use Opera browser if I really need to appear in US/UK, outside Thailand.

It really is a case of "I need it because everyone else has it"

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have lived here for 10 years now, and still never had the need or desire for a VPN. Plenty of apps if I really want to watch TV from home. All my banking etc is encrypted. Or I just use Opera browser if I really need to appear in US/UK, outside Thailand.

It really is a case of "I need it because everyone else has it"

I only got one recently. I hadn't needed one before. Now I do. If you're OK without one yeah don't bother.

I very very seldom need a vpn 
watch tv with an android box/Kodi an get all my news, tv, movies, sports for free
If i do need it ( maybe an hour/2 weeks, cause i want some one to think i am NOT in thailand) i use the free version of Tunnel bear

• Like 1

NordVPN.  Provides ad blocking and malware scanning. With one NordVPN account, you can protect up to six devices. Fast. Extras include double-hop VPN and Onion over VPN (slows it down though). Works out of Panama so pretty neutral. Doesn't keep logs.

Edited by Purdey

On 7/13/2023 at 11:54 AM, KannikaP said:

But expensive compared with, say, NORD.

I have just uninstalled NORD because it was slowing up my computer and occasionally on BBC iPlayer it would just cut out?

I gave Express VPN a try and it was great – – very fast, whereas with Nord, for example, if I wanted to set my location as London, I would have to wait a few minutes for it to actually do that, and then sometimes it wouldn't?

I still have some months left on my Nord subscription, if I get in trouble with Express VPN, but from what I've seen today whilst watching the All Blacks rugby, it's great and I'm very happy.

Oh dear, I spoke too soon!!!

Although I was able to watch NZ rugby yesterday via the Stan Sport channel in Australia by using the Express VPN, it failed quite miserably later on in the evening when I tried to watch a movie on BBC iPlayer.

It connected to the iPlayer okay, but when I tried to watch a movie, not only was the picture a bit poor and grainy, it just kept cutting out and a message appeared on screen, "you do not have enough bandwidth to view this, please try again later".... So I did try, many times and the same thing kept happening.

I still had my Nord VPN installed, so I fired that up and not only did it get through to BBC iPlayer, but I was able to watch what I wanted to, with a clear picture and no messages!!

In the past Nord VPN has been okay for Stan Sport and BBC iPlayer, and although it's a bit slow at times, I think I'll have to go back to it. I've also contacted Express VPN and asked for a rebate. This because my main use for the VPN is looking at BBC iPlayer with the occasional All Black rugby games.

One thing that the installation of Express VPN has done is to mess up my computer settings a bit, with various strange things happening, which I'm trying to fix at the moment. In addition, my PC is slow at loading pages, no matter what I do, and even if I clear the cache on Chrome, it doesn't improve it.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me please??