Analysis: Thailand’s Next Prime Minister Still Uncertain: Our Take on the Current Situation

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand-Pita Limjaroenrat, Move Forward Party Prime Minister candidate, says if he and his party fails to form the next Thai government, he will give the chance to his coalition partners the Pheu Thai Party.

On Saturday afternoon (July 15th) Pita released a video clip on social media. He said in the clip, “Thank you for 324 yes votes in Thai Parliament and putting faith in me becoming the 30th Thai prime minister, especially 13 yes votes from senators. I know that many of those senators have faced significant pressure for their decision to vote yes and listen to the people (Move Forward Party received the most seats in the recent Thai election, with Pheu Thai second.). The most important thing is to thank the people who have supported me and the Move Forward Party. I am sorry that we were still not successful in forming the next Thai government.”

“We are the number one party who got the most votes from the Thai people in the general election. We have a responsibility to those people to form the government. We have tried every way possible to follow the spirit of true democracy in order to respect people’s votes. This is the fight of the Move Forward Party together with 14 million votes from Thai people to prove that these votes are the future of the country.” Pita continued in his video.

Meanwhile, the Pheu Thai Party prime Prime Minister candidates are Ms. Paetongtarn Shinawatra, daughter of exiled Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and Mr. Srettha Thavisin. There were rumors that Pheu Thai would put forward Srettha as a candidate if Pita could not form a government but Srettha has been mum on those rumors, stating that Pheu Thai currently fully supports Pita as the next PM. Pheu Thai also has Chaikasem Nitisiri, a former attorney general, as a candidate but he has recently had health issues and was hospitalized in April and as a result is not expected to be a prime choice at this time.

Pheu Thai is part of an eight party coalition attempting to form the new government, with the overwhelming majority of members coming from Move Forward and Pheu Thai.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/15/analysis-thailands-next-prime-minister-still-uncertain-our-take-on-the-current-situation/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He will get the job.

No way is their going to be a huge change in heart from the heartless senators to vote Pita the rightful PM

Under normal (for Thailand) circumstances I would agree.  But the army and military have a strong aversion to Thaksin and has destroyed the PT every time it was elected.

Even though it is obvious that eh people will not support a  coup they still are I am sure thinking of this as the long run solution.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of absences and abstentions for any PT member.

The powers that be are still trying to hold onto power

It is funny that there is one person that could help resolve this but he is being silent. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Under normal (for Thailand) circumstances I would agree.  But the army and military have a strong aversion to Thaksin and has destroyed the PT every time it was elected.

Even though it is obvious that eh people will not support a  coup they still are I am sure thinking of this as the long run solution.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of absences and abstentions for any PT member.

The powers that be are still trying to hold onto power

It is funny that there is one person that could help resolve this but he is being silent. 

I think nominating Sretha rather than the more popular Paetongtam Shinawatra was a strategic move for reason that you said. I am sure that there are pressure politicall and socially for the impasse to be sorted out quickly and new government can be formed in the current economic downturn. The objections for not voting for K Pita is just centered on the 112 issue. As PTP and especially Sreetha stayed away from 112, the opposition is cornered and may relent. I also think BJT and PPRP oppositions can be won over with some incentives. Don't hink a coup is possible under the curent circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I think nominating Sretha rather than the more popular Paetongtam Shinawatra was a strategic move for reason that you said. I am sure that there are pressure politicall and socially for the impasse to be sorted out quickly and new government can be formed in the current economic downturn. The objections for not voting for K Pita is just centered on the 112 issue. As PTP and especially Sreetha stayed away from 112, the opposition is cornered and may relent. I also think BJT and PPRP oppositions can be won over with some incentives. Don't hink a coup is possible under the curent circumstances. 

The challenges that MFP has as has been discussed are more about the changes to the rules of business taxes and the gravy train that the rich in Thailand live off of.  If MFP were going to leave the rich getting richer and not change any of the rules I think a deal could have been done. Abolishing the draft is not popular because it keeps the poor in check.

While PT are not obviously pro-military they are pro-cronyism and if allowed will leave the rich alone as well as leave the lese majese alone although I am not 100% sure that they can not see some light for a few of the red shirts in amending 112.

The biggest mistake that the PT can make of have thrown on thim is the support for Sretha as PM by the military parties.  This could lead to people painting them with a we like the military way of things brush.

46 minutes ago, henry15 said:

You are not the only one

Yes. It will require the political equivalent of lifting up a large flat stone in a dark damp place so he can slither out, but that, I think, is the intention.

They obviously don't want Move Forward,  I doubt they would be happy with Pheu Thai for the simple reason that it will entail the return of both Shinewatras. The loss of face entailed in having him back would be unsustainable.