Thailand Expects to Welcome 1.6 Million Indians This Year

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Indian tourists are streaming into Southeast Asia, cementing the world’s most populous country’s position as a key growth market for the travel and tourism sector.

From airlines like IndiGo and Thai Airways to hospitality chains offering thousands of rooms, executives and analysts say companies are tapping into India’s burgeoning middle-class and growing spending power.

A long-term increase in Indian tourists would lead to a recalibration of airline capacity, hospitality offerings and tourism operators - early signs of which are underway, according to industry members.

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said in a May report that India could emerge as the next China "in terms of outbound tourism growth" over the next decade, though connectivity would be constrained by fewer airports there.

In Thailand, the number of Indian tourists - though fewer than Chinese in absolute terms - is only about 14% lower than it was in 2019.

In 2019, Chinese visitors spent about US$197 a day in Thailand and Indians spent about $180, with both visiting for about a week, according to Thai government data.

Tanes Petsuwan, Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said 1.6 million Indians are expected to visit the kingdom this year.

by Paul Rujopakarn

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230717095548061

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-07-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

I like Indian people generally. They have a positive outlook to life. Family orientated.

I do notice western sexpats and sex tourists seem to have it in for them though.

So this thread will trigger a few of the predictable comments about Indians.

And probably followed up with a few more predictable comments about TAT.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

I like Indian people generally. They have a positive outlook to life. Family orientated.

I do notice western sexpats and sex tourists seem to have it in for them though.

Lamb Biryani should be the national dish.

17 hours ago, Goat said:

Right. I have never seen any Indian men hanging around girlie bars or massage parlours, unlike those awful Western sexpats and sex tourists (sarcasm alert)

2 hours ago, charmonman said:

Right. I have never seen any Indian men hanging around girlie bars or massage parlours, unlike those awful Western sexpats and sex tourists (sarcasm alert)

You should get out more... they wander about looky loo style. Sniffing at the doors but timid to try and enter........

On 7/17/2023 at 4:25 AM, Goat said:

I also generally like Indian people.  Thais generally do not.  And I have seen several examples of this, and I can also see the reasons why, although not always valid.

I remember several years ago eating at an outside Thai restaurant, surprised to see a couple of Indians at another table.  An old Thai man in a table in my eyeline pointed at the Indians and said to me "Dirty, I don't like".  Poor Indians doing nothing wrong.

Having said that, I've also seen in Platinum mall an Indian guy trying to barter a Thai shoe vendor down by suggesting he get better price if he buys 3 pairs.  My girlfriend was waiting to pay for some cheap shoes, but this Indian guy had been there for at least 20 minutes trying to squeeze the best price out of the Thai vendor.  He was taking up all of her attention and we were trying to get service from her.

She caved in to the Indian guy, turned to us annoyed and said she made a loss on the shoes, but it was worth it just to get rid of the guy.  She said she doesn't like Indian.

Later in the week, we just existed the Labuan hotel, which had a government hospital next door.  I saw a taxi from a distance and waved him in.  As he swooped in, and Indian family near me (I suddenly realised they had been there longer than we had), so I gestured the Indian family forward, and I stepped back from the curb.

It was like a Formula1 pitstop, the taxi came to the curb, spotted the Indian family as I stepped away, and just drove off.

My girlfriend said, the taxi driver would probably have trouble getting the fare from them as they would take ages to barter.

Happens in the UK too,  My Philippine friend won't work anymore with Indians as they always want more work than agreed for the price, or a reduced price.

I have a few Indian friends in the UK, whom are not like this at all and are lovely honest hardworking people.