Thai organisations challenge Senate’s prime ministerial authority

webfact

Off topic posts discussing the French Revolution have been removed.

this is what the topic is about:

Thai organisations challenge Senate’s prime ministerial authority

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

"there were 43 senators who abstained from voting last Thursday, meaning there were 10 senators who attended the prime ministerial selection meeting but did not make a choice."

Ok, let's follow the Constitution: Senators VOTE for PM when the candidate does not achieve a majority vote in the House.

A total 43 Senators did not vote "yea" nor "nay" for PM Pita. Isn't such failure unconstitutional regardless of the reasons for such failure? The Constitution does not provide directly nor indirectly any latitude for a Senator to fail to vote. Any excuse is irrelevant.

As such, 43 "missing" Senatorial votes should NOT be included in the total vote with House votes to determine majority for PM. Such interpretation is consistent for ANY citizen who fails to vote in the National election, regardless of the excuse. One does not add missing citizen votes to determine party candidates for the House. 

In fact I believe there was a situation (at least initially) wherein Thai citizens living in Australia did vote by early absentee ballot that their vote in the 2019 election wasn't counted. While the votes were received timely by the Thai embassy, the embassy did not timely deliver the votes to the EC and thus, uncounted.

One can list a lot of SHOULDs. But unfortunately that's not how the system was designed. As it is right now an abstain or noshow is effectively a "no". But even if that were changed I think you'd find that the majority of senators who abstained or didn't show up will suddenly vote "no". They just didn't want to make it explicit for whatever reasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

I admire their resolve... however, it is, as the saying goes, "a day late and a dollar short"... Thai people failed to pay attention (in the moment when it matter) when the Junta's constitution was drafted and put in front of the monarchy for acceptance, that it was designed to keep military control over Thai politics and it's people for the foreseeable future.

The draft of the current constitution was also put to a plebiscite. The vote, by a fairly narrow margin, was in favour, something which no doubt will be wheeled out by the dinosaurs and elite. But not only was that margin narrow but the voter turn out was very low. So indeed the Thai people failed to pay attention to this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The draft of the current constitution was also put to a plebiscite. The vote, by a fairly narrow margin, was in favour, something which no doubt will be wheeled out by the dinosaurs and elite. But not only was that margin narrow but the voter turn out was very low. So indeed the Thai people failed to pay attention to this.

If you actually read the relevant sections of the current Thai Constitution (or indeed any other sections) its complexity of expression is such as to be practically incomprehensible. So it's not surprising that the few Thai citizens who voted in the relevant plebiscite a few years ago ended up approving it (just).

Nor is its complexity anything other than typical of Thai laws. Allows appointed judges maximum leeway to interpret things as may be convenient to them and their buddies at any particular moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

I admire their resolve... however, it is, as the saying goes, "a day late and a dollar short"... Thai people failed to pay attention (in the moment when it matter) when the Junta's constitution was drafted and put in front of the monarchy for acceptance, that it was designed to keep military control over Thai politics and it's people for the foreseeable future.

Correct. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Well, everyone already knows that the senate and every law that the dictator Prayut changed or implemented are illegal. The true law is what it was after his takeover.

"The true law is what it was after his takeover.

Do you not mean "The true law is (what it should be) after his departure?

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

If you actually read the relevant sections of the current Thai Constitution (or indeed any other sections) its complexity of expression is such as to be practically incomprehensible. So it's not surprising that the few Thai citizens who voted in the relevant plebiscite a few years ago ended up approving it (just).

Nor is its complexity anything other than typical of Thai laws. Allows appointed judges maximum leeway to interpret things as may be convenient to them and their buddies at any particular moment.

"Allows appointed  judges and Immigration Officers maximum leeway to interpret things as may be convenient to them and their buddies at any particular moment." But in the case of Immigration Officers, there are some fairly straightforward guidelines laid down by the Chief Immigration Officer which some of them choose to ignore, or as you say interpret as may be convenient to them- depending on their particular mood that day!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

One can list a lot of SHOULDs. But unfortunately that's not how the system was designed. As it is right now an abstain or noshow is effectively a "no". But even if that were changed I think you'd find that the majority of senators who abstained or didn't show up will suddenly vote "no". They just didn't want to make it explicit for whatever reasons.

In the UK it's called an "each way bet".

I got this Alert communication from USA Department of State :

Event:  The U.S. Mission in Thailand is monitoring reports of possible demonstrations nationwide.  Although violence is not expected, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.  Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

Actions to Take:

• Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates, and check your email for further alerts;
  • Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings;
  • Review personal security plans;
  • Remain aware of surroundings;
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities.

Assistance:

• U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces)
    Telephone: +66 053 107 700
    +66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
    Email: [email protected]

• State Department – Consular Affairs
    888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

14 hours ago, OneZero said:

Remember 19 May 2010 the government crackdown after lengthy protests in Lumpini Park.  Tires burning outside my condo on Rama IV rd.

BKK-May-19-28.jpg

BKK-May-19-35.jpg

BKK-May-19-06.jpg

BKK-May-19-45.jpg

I was there in May 92' by sheer coincidence. I was returning back to the States from climbing in Nepal. I had never been to Thailand other than to transit. I took the train into Hua Lamphong. The military was point rifles at the cars. I had cameras on me after I stowed my climbing gear at the station. Some Aussie guy convinced me to go the Democratic Monument at about 10P rather than the night train to Koh Samui. The rest is history, and on film. I was at Lumphini on May 20, 2010. So, I just photographed the carnage left.  and May 2010. Tough to compare, but 92' protests and the military response to them was unforgettable. 

14 hours ago, ibjoe said:

I got this Alert communication from USA Department of State :

Event:  The U.S. Mission in Thailand is monitoring reports of possible demonstrations nationwide.  Although violence is not expected, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.  Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

Actions to Take:

• Monitor local media and our Embassy website for updates, and check your email for further alerts;
  • Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings;
  • Review personal security plans;
  • Remain aware of surroundings;
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities.

Assistance:

• U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces)
    Telephone: +66 053 107 700
    +66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
    Email: [email protected]

• State Department – Consular Affairs
    888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

If the senate ends up denying the will of the people, all bets are off. There will be mayhem. The people are tired of the power games and the army, the EC, the charter courts, and this administration have all lost any credibility, that they may have once had. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1