Campaign launched to fight cybercrime in Thailand with 800 criminal cases being reported per day

webfact

image.jpeg

National Police Chief, General Damrongsak Kittiprapas oversaw the launch, on Tuesday, of a campaign to tackle cybercrime in the kingdom by immunising the population with awareness of the threat. He revealed that tens of billions of baht are lost, with 800 cases reported daily.

Thailand has introduced a new Royal Decree which allows for suspicious banks and phone accounts to be shut down. On Tuesday, the police chief warned the public to be circumspect about their personal details to avoid becoming embroiled in criminal exploits by gangs who often use the identity of innocent people to exploit others.

Thailand is being hit with 800 cyber crimes every day with losses of billions of baht according to National Police Chief General Damrongsak Kittiprapas who, on Tuesday, launched a public awareness campaign aimed at the public to help immunise them from what is a pernicious criminal threat.

Thai National Police Chief General Damrongsak Kittiprapas has given his support to an ambitious campaign to tackle cybercrime in the kingdom which has reached epidemic proportions with 800 cases a day being reported.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/07/20/campaign-to-fight-cybercrime-in-thailand-police-chief-800-cases-per-day/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Democratic Thailand with freedom of speech, only if you don't say anything about the Government and other officials, no show alcohol even if you are in party and e-cigarettes as everything is forbidden almost, except for ones in power

Dunno if this is the right place to post but here's a heads up to a scam doing the rounds now.

My partner took a call on her phone while I was reading the world news. I heard her shouting which is unusual for her but took no notice. Then she said "darling I need your bank book" which, without thinking, I gave her. Still engrossed in the Guardian website I glanced across at her phone and saw a police officer talking to her on Line. Alarm bells rang and I used this phone to call my bank and block all movement on my account. I told her to hang up.

I managed to glean that this police officer had told her that there was a warrant for her arrest in Chayupom on drugs charges. He had her name, address and ID card number. She's never been to that place. He suggested this problem could go away with a sweetener.

We went straight to our local cop shop, explained the story and she was told that there was no warrant out for her.

On return to the village we stopped at a shop and told of our experience. We found out that 3 other villagers had similar experiences and some had actually paid up. Needless to say the bogus cop had erased all evidence of his scam by now 

Beware folks.