Water pump too strong, any pressure reducing devices?

KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

@Billcould try some Celebrex (antiinflamatory) for your back. ????

Thank you for the tip.

It mostly hurts when I am bending and I have tried to move stuff up to perhaps waist height so that I have no need to bend (where possible).

Someone younger and fitter than me does most of the grunt work now. I just get frustrated that I cannot do it myself any more and have to wait until someone is available.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to the data for that particular pump (from Mitsubishi Electric's website here) it is a constant pressure pump with an automatic pressure control switch.

There is a user manual (in Thai language) here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Encid said:

According to the data for that particular pump (from Mitsubishi Electric's website here) it is a constant pressure pump with an automatic pressure control switch.

There is a user manual (in Thai language) here.

Thank you for the link.

Another thing that slows my pump pressure is when the filter fitted before the pump gets clogged up.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Any affordable solution to reduce pressure?

Yes

฿6000 Hitachi pump, 150 Watts 

One story does not need more than 150w. For a big family and more than 2 bedrooms 200w fits better. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Yes

One story does not need more than 150w. For a big family and more than 2 bedrooms 200w fits better. 

Unless you are using bucket/cup for shower suspect most people will want higher pressure than the lower wattage units can provide.  If works for you that is fine - but low wattage units do not provide anywhere near the city water pressure of most US/Oz/EU places.  And if another tap running pressure goes down quickly, which not nice with point of use heaters.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:10 PM, jaideedave said:
On 7/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Look around the 9 minute mark.

Expand  

I learned something today,retired HSE..off/on shore.

After we lived in our house for over 12 years the water pump failed and the solution was to replace it.

The fellow with the high pressure can try the adjustments on the video.Very good info. 

Yes, follow the video, remove the tamper proof cover on the pressure switch and break the seal on the "do not adjust" screw.

There's a reason my brother-in-law is verbotten to mess with the water pumps at our place and this is one of them (removing springs was the other).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

Yes

That is not necessarily correct at all.

Whilst I may agree with you if you live in a city, rural Thailand is a different world.

A lot depends on both distance the water has to travel, the height that it has to meet and the number of buildings it has to service.

My Mitsubishi ER 305 water pump has to supply 2 floors of the main house, it also has a 30 metre run to my MIL old house, the toilet and shower plus the kitchen attached to the back of the small house. It also ran to another house some 40 metres in a different direction, but that is only used as a store now, so I cut the pipe off and sealed it.

In the early days a 150w pump could not manage to supply that lot, so I had to upgrade the pump to a 300w pump.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

but low wattage units do not provide anywhere near the city water pressure of most US/Oz/EU places. 

We live in Thailand, standards are different. Especially with pvc pipes and the way builders glue them together and put them in cement. 
And pipe size and plumbing plan matter. It is not only about pumps. 
I have used 150w for a small one-story house for 2 people. I have a rain shower in my bathroom ant it works great while my gf using water in kitchen and washer working. I have done all plumbing by myself mostly 1" and 3/4, only used 1/2" where there is a 1/2" valve. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

In the early days a 150w pump could not manage to supply that lot, so I had to upgrade the pump to a 300w pump.

Right as you mentioned you use water at different distanced locations and it's not just a house that I understood from OP. 
pump is only one side of story about pressure, piping is the side of story. If it's not designed correctly (pipe sizes and pipeline plan) then water pressure will be different. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

Right as you mentioned you use water at different distanced locations and it's not just a house that I understood from OP. 
pump is only one side of story about pressure, piping is the side of story. If it's not designed correctly (pipe sizes and pipeline plan) then water pressure will be different. 

My wife;s house was built 19 years ago and uses 1/2 inch pipes internally. Part way through the build we then built the MIL small house also using 1/2 inch pipe.

The main water supply is a 3 inch pipe running outside the front fence and I use a 1/2 inch pipe from that tp fill my storage ongs. 

I started with 4 x 1,700 litre (1,500 usable) then expanded that to 20 ongs behind the kitchen and I got laughed at by all and sundry, including my wife. who stopped laughing when the water supply ran out and we still had 30,000 litres in storage.

They are all cross connected in 5 rows of 4 ongs and a few years ago I got 7 more which the fire truck used to fill up and I would pump into the main tanks. Sadly 1 exploded after filling one day.

Since then we have been connected to the big village water supply and touch wood, we don't have a water shortage any more.

The ongs are still useful as a filter for larger sediment and I have put 2 inline filters to take out > than 2.5 microns of silt but the first one lasts about 3 weeks before needing replacement as it gets blocked and the pressure to the houses drops.

What you need is a recirculation pipe and diverter valve. Just closing the discharge valve will just drive the pressure up on the pump side. Half the flow needs to go back to the tank. Closing the suction side is much worse as it will cause cavitation and ruin the pump.

All of your options are energy inefficient. It would be better in the long run to buy a properly sized pump.