ESL Bookshop

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

there is one close to patunam... the best in thailand that i have seen.

been  years since i went...

same road as central world. you go past sukhumvit and it is on the left... it is close to a bridge if memory serves me right.

sorry i cant give you more details. if they are still open they were way better than chula

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

there is one close to patunam... the best in thailand that i have seen.

been  years since i went...

same road as central world. you go past sukhumvit and it is on the left... it is close to a bridge if memory serves me right.

sorry i cant give you more details. if they are still open they were way better than chula

DK Today at Makkasan? Agreed, if so. That was always the place to go, with much more than you could find at Chula. I've not been in years either but from Google it looks like it's still there as Duangkamol Samai. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

DK Today at Makkasan? Agreed, if so. That was always the place to go, with much more than you could find at Chula. I've not been in years either but from Google it looks like it's still there as Duangkamol Samai. 

me believes you are spot on about the name. thanks... i spent a fortune there. no longer living in bkk so havent been lately. i wonder if they still are as good as in the olden' days...

i remember they were dusty and seemed disorganized but the selection of textbooks was outstanding for the early 2000's. i am just surprised nothing else has come along since then

As others say above, it's DK Today there just by the Makkasan airport link station. It's the only language teaching bookstore in the city. The sections in Kino, etc. are primilary for students/customers grabbing test prep and general language study books...it's not a supplier for schools and teachers. DK Today is. As of about 8 months back, last I went, they were still open and the same. The overall physical ELT textbook market has changed a lot, so the stock isn't as fresh as it used to be, but they're still the place. They'll give a discount if you show you're a working teacher adn they're quite sweet. I've been in and out of their doors since 2005! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NobleELT said:

As others say above, it's DK Today there just by the Makkasan airport link station. It's the only language teaching bookstore in the city. The sections in Kino, etc. are primilary for students/customers grabbing test prep and general language study books...it's not a supplier for schools and teachers. DK Today is. As of about 8 months back, last I went, they were still open and the same. The overall physical ELT textbook market has changed a lot, so the stock isn't as fresh as it used to be, but they're still the place. They'll give a discount if you show you're a working teacher adn they're quite sweet. I've been in and out of their doors since 2005! 

Yes, they've always been very friendly. I'm sure Khun Thares can't still be running the place? He never forgot a name after meeting you. I first met him in the early 1990s at the place I was working. And if I ever went into the shop or ran into him at a conference, he would always remember my name and any colleagues I was with. They always had the latest books in the linguistics and SLA fields. The shop seemed pretty run down in the 1990s so I'm amazed it's still there!  

• Like 1

It's been a handful of older and younger ladies at the shop for years now. Not sure I ever seen a male employee. But the ladies, while maybe not remembering my name, also have a good memory for who's who. They've been super sweet to me, and generous too in how they've helped me out and given some discounts/freebies. 

The Ling/SLA and teacher education section has always been surprisingly good. I've found some deep cuts on those shelves! 

PS - OP - find thier Line account, so you get the closings. They're happy to get the shop closed for each and every holiday plus a bunch of other random days thorughout each year.  

• Like 1