Biden turns up heat on UK over asylum for Afghan hero pilot

Social Media

image.png

The Home Office refuses to remove veteran’s Rwanda deportation threat despite the policy being ruled illegal

The White House has said it will make sure Afghan veterans who supported the US are taken care of – while the British government continues to stall in the case of an Afghan pilot who has been threatened with deportation to Rwanda.

The pilot, who risked his life on combat missions in support of coalition forces, has been left in limbo and has been threatened with removal after he arrived in Britain on a small boat because of the lack of safe legal routes.

After the UK rejected his first application to remain, Washington is now considering his case after his US supervisor made a personal recommendation and described him as a “true patriot to his nation”.

Full Story

image.png

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Do as you are told Sunak.

Obey UK law.

Deportation to Rwanda is ruled by UK courts to be illegal.

UK law requires the Afghan pilot to have his claim for asylum reviewed.

Just do it, and stop upsetting the senior party in that ‘special relationship’ which so many of the nation’s hopes rely.

Rishi Sunak (or Rashid Sanook as Joe calls him) has much more important issues to deal with. He has no time to listen to the decrepid old man across the pond. There will be no 'special relationship' while Biden is in power. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Rishi Sunak (or Rashid Sanook as Joe calls him) has much more important issues to deal with. He has no time to listen to the decrepid old man across the pond. There will be no 'special relationship' while Biden is in power. 

Yep, he needs a trade deal, among other things.

Just do the right thing Rishi, review the guy’s asylum claim, like the law requires.

Deport him if his claim fails and put hi to work in the UK’s ailing economy if he passes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think that the UK can claim the moral high ground when it comes to supporting Afghans who put their lives on the line for the west.

Afghanistan: UK has abandoned Afghan people, says senior MP

I didn't say it can. That would be off-topic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

We could also discuss freeing Afghans who didn't assist the US but that would be off topic. Let's assume that the US has blotted its copybook in Afghanistan. Does that disqualify it from ever speaking out on any Afghan issues for evermore? Is their a sunset clause written in there anywhere? Oh, wait, was it only Biden who was disqualified?

You confuse Biden with the US.

It is NOT the UK government but the UK Home Office that is the problem.

Very few, if any are willing or capable of putting their own lives on the line, so they use the fallback excuse of, our hands are tied and we cannot change the rules.

One of my best managers told me many years ago that rules were meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

He was right as is proven here.

A different manager told me later that it is better to do it first, and ask for forgiveness, than not do anything at all.

The acronym he used was JFDI, and he was also right.

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Letting 5,000 Taliban terrorists out of jail wasn't blotting any copybook? Might they have hastened the fall of the country into Taliban hands, do you think? Maybe that's why the US military misjudged the speed of the collapse? No?

And how does any of that disqualify Biden for speaking out on UK failings? Should the UK send the heroi Afghan pilot who fought for the US to Rwanda? Is that OK for you? Your lot are so hung up on Biden that you can't see the woods for the trees.

Swiftly deflected as usual. I said that Biden would be better to keep clear of commenting on Afghanistan. He can speak about perceived "UK failings" regarding Afghanistan but that doesn't absolve him. Instead, comments like that swing the spotlight back onto himself and his mess.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

But the UK Home Office is part of and run by the UK government!

The governments change quite often but the civil servants rarely change and even less rarely do they change for the better,

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Swiftly deflected as usual. I said that Biden would be better to keep clear of commenting on Afghanistan. He can speak about perceived "UK failings" regarding Afghanistan but that doesn't absolve him. Instead, comments like that swing the spotlight back onto himself and his mess.

The mess that President Biden inherited from his predecessor EX president Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

The mess that President Biden inherited from his predecessor EX president Trump.

No. Biden had enough time to avoid this disaster happening, whatever he "inherited".

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, nauseus said:

No. Biden had enough time to avoid this disaster happening, whatever he "inherited".

At least you don't deny he inherited a disaster. It takes many months for policy changes to show up in an economy. Biden has the best US economy in decades right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is NOT the UK government but the UK Home Office that is the problem.

Very few, if any are willing or capable of putting their own lives on the line, so they use the fallback excuse of, our hands are tied and we cannot change the rules.

One of my best managers told me many years ago that rules were meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

He was right as is proven here.

A different manager told me later that it is better to do it first, and ask for forgiveness, than not do anything at all.

The acronym he used was JFDI, and he was also right.

A difficult argument to make when the PM appears at press conferences standing at at a lectern emblazoned with the slogan ‘Stop the Boats’.

The PM, the Government and tge Tory Party are all complicit in this doomed to fail policy rooted in dehumanizing and it’s victims for the sake of political theater for the purposes of distracting  the electorate from all the other myriad failures over the past 14 years.

Let’s add trashing the UK’s international standing to the heap.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A difficult argument to make when the PM appears at press conferences standing at at a lectern emblazoned with the slogan ‘Stop the Boats’.

The PM, the Government and tge Tory Party are all complicit in this doomed to fail policy rooted in dehumanizing and it’s victims for the sake of political theater for the purposes of distracting  the electorate from all the other myriad failures over the past 14 years.

Let’s add trashing the UK’s international standing to the heap.

Stop the boats is a lot less humanising that "stop the refugees".

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

At least you don't deny he inherited a disaster. It takes many months for policy changes to show up in an economy. Biden has the best US economy in decades right now.

I mean he is a disaster, especially with reference to the exit from Afghanistan. Nothing to do with the economy, which also a mess. 

48 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I mean he is a disaster, especially with reference to the exit from Afghanistan. Nothing to do with the economy, which also a mess. 

The economy is a mess? Really? Can you point to any specifics? Is the extremely low unemployment rate a probllem? How about the fast declining inflation rate? Depending on what Japan's latest report says, US inflation   could be the lowest of the G7.  Or is the rapid growth in manufacturing employment that you find objectionable?

Hopefully Washington will step in and decide that the former pilot should go to the US, but as the pilot arrived in Britain and not the US perhaps that means he doesn't actually want to go to the US.