Climate records tumble, leaving Earth in uncharted territory - scientists

Social Media

On 7/22/2023 at 3:42 AM, digger70 said:

This week, Scott Pruitt, Environmental Protection Agency administrator, who had said that human activity was not the primary contributor to global warming, acknowledged that it plays a role—but stressed the need to figure out exactly how much of one.

Probably trying to avoid death threats to himself and his family, like this poor guy:

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2023/07/when-this-meteorologist-talked-about-climate-change-he-received-death-threats/

“go the hell back to where you came from ___________!!!” and demanded, “what’s your home address, we conservative Iowans would like to give you an Iowan welcome you will never forget.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My local University in Sussex is full of full on Greens , but in the science dept there are raging arguments among the scientific community  , YES the consensus is that there is global warming ,, but wether its mans fault or its a planetary  cycle or other reasons is  still hotly debated ,, and  also  even the  most  fanatical, man made climate change  people will admit that  , doing anything about it may be  a  fantasy , but it sure gives the elites, business and politicians  some  great opportunities to  run riot

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No, virtually no climatologists believe that the Milankovitch cycle or any other planetary cycle is responsible for the current episode of rapid warming. The last person to try something like that one on was a person named Valentina Zharkova who posited that some sort of orbital cycle was responsible for warming. Her paper got retracted after a major basic error was discovered in her work. Apparently, she failed to account for the fact that Planet Earth also exerts a gravitational field.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/paper-that-claimed-the-sun-caused-global-warming-gets-retracted/

If so much debate is raging in the scientific community about a planetary cycle's effect on climate change, where are the research papers in support of such a theory? 

Who would fund such studies?

• Haha 2

I assume the Earth is warming, and I assume human activity contributes to it, but I think the bulk of what the left is doing about it is ridiculous. But I think it does win a lot of votes and make a lot of rich people richer. 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I assume the Earth is warming, and I assume human activity contributes to it, but I think the bulk of what the left is doing about it is ridiculous. But I think it does win a lot of votes and make a lot of rich people richer. 

I'm curious.  What do you think "the left" is doing about climate change and  why is it ridiculous?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The richest people are related to the fossil fuel industry and they get richer by bribing right wing politicians to do nothing.

Al Gore is rich, all made from carbon trading.

Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are usually quoted as the richest guys, as left wing as you can get without being a communist/Marxist with no connection to fossil fuel as far as I can see.

Elron Musk, also rich makes electric cars.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you have anything that supports your nonsense? 

Oil and gas industry rewards US lawmakers who oppose environmental protections – study

“Legislators proved that they’re willing to vote against the environment consistently and then they’re rewarded later,”

The study analyzed data from 1990 to 2018. In 1990, 63% of oil and gas money went to Republicans, Goldberg noted. In 2018, 88% of the industry’s campaign donations were to the conservative party.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/24/oil-gas-industry-us-lawmakers-campaign-donations-analysis

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Oil and gas industry rewards US lawmakers who oppose environmental protections – study

“Legislators proved that they’re willing to vote against the environment consistently and then they’re rewarded later,”

The study analyzed data from 1990 to 2018. In 1990, 63% of oil and gas money went to Republicans, Goldberg noted. In 2018, 88% of the industry’s campaign donations were to the conservative party.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/24/oil-gas-industry-us-lawmakers-campaign-donations-analysis

Dude claimed: "The richest people are related to the fossil fuel industry and they get richer by bribing right wing politicians to do nothing."

Your article does not support that, in fact, it does the opposite. 

The article claims the entire oil and gas industry spent a piddly $84M to support the right, while Mark Zuckerberg alone donated over $400M to support the left. 

When you consider the bulk of gas and oil production is in red states, does it surprise anyone (not on the left) that that's where they donate their money? 

I think Hollywood and mainstream media is doing more to ruin the world than the oil industry ever thought about, and we all know where their donations go...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Dude claimed: "The richest people are related to the fossil fuel industry and they get richer by bribing right wing politicians to do nothing."

Your article does not support that, in fact, it does the opposite. 

The article claims the entire oil and gas industry spent a piddly $84M to support the right, while Mark Zuckerberg alone donated over $400M to support the left. 

When you consider the bulk of gas and oil production is in red states, does it surprise anyone (not on the left) that that's where they donate their money? 

I think Hollywood and mainstream media is doing more to ruin the world than the oil industry ever thought about, and we all know where their donations go...

It would not surprise me that the oil industry has some of the richest people in it though. Fuel Tycoons. The operative quote from that peer reviewed paper being:

Led by the oil and gas industry, this sector regularly pumps the vast majority of its campaign contributions into Republican coffers. Even as other traditionally GOP-inclined industries have shifted somewhat to the left, this sector has remained rock-solid red.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=e01

Your point here though:

Never thought about it, where does Hollywood and the media send their donations? How's it ruining the world?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It would not surprise me that the oil industry has some of the richest people in it though. Fuel Tycoons. The operative quote from that peer reviewed paper being:

Led by the oil and gas industry, this sector regularly pumps the vast majority of its campaign contributions into Republican coffers. Even as other traditionally GOP-inclined industries have shifted somewhat to the left, this sector has remained rock-solid red.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=e01

Your point here though:

Never thought about it, where does Hollywood and the media send their donations? How's it ruining the world?

None in the top 50...

Forbes Billionaires 2023: The Richest People In The World

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The US? Isn't that what the poster was referring to?

You'll find a few there including Koch Industries who secretly funds climate denial

https://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/

Still waiting for this though?

"I think Hollywood and mainstream media is doing more to ruin the world than the oil industry ever thought about, and we all know where their donations go..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It seems this right-wing/left-wing divergence about environmental issues occurs mainly in the U.S. (well, if the Democratic party could be considered as left-wing, lol! But never mind).

In other countries, there are plenty of right-wing governments who support environmental policies. Only the U.S. right-wing is that stupid (or, as shown by other posters, is bribed by oil companies).

22 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Plenty of fossil fuel magnates in that list, what are you on about?

You claimed: "The richest people are related to the fossil fuel industry and they get richer by bribing right wing politicians to do nothing."

Yeah, there are a few on the list, but none at the top of the list, and none of them are "...bribing right wing politicians to do nothing." 

"Honesty is not a left-wing value."