How can I make cost-effective or free calls to overseas landline numbers from Bangkok?

Lim Yuan Hai

If you are a normal consumer the rate from a DTAC Tourist SIM costing 49 baht, is 1.5 baht per minute using the 00400 prefix. 
If you are planning on spamming people with calls…find out for yourself. 

23 minutes ago, Lim Yuan Hai said:

Can anyone advise how can I make cost-effective or free calls to Singapore landline numbers from Bangkok?

Thank you and have a nice day!

If you have a Singapore sim in an iPhone, then put the phone in airplane mode and call over wifi to the landline. 

• Like 1

Ohh , I forgot to add .For less than $3 you can also purchase a telephone number from the country of your choice , where when they call you it is a local call for them, and they can call from either a land line or a cellphone, and it's a local call for them, but it rings anywhere in the world for you via your Skype app,   Take a look and see if it is something that can work for you. 

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/#:~:text=What is Skype online number,the call up in Skype.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Ohh , I forgot to add .For less than $3 you can also purchase a telephone number from the country of your choice , where when they call you it is a local call for them, and they can call from either a land line or a cellphone, and it's a local call for them, but it rings anywhere in the world for you via your Skype app,   Take a look and see if it is something that can work for you. 

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/#:~:text=What is Skype online number,the call up in Skype.

How about I call them (banks and government)?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Lim Yuan Hai said:

I do not have an iPhone. Can you advise?
Will it cost how much?

Making a call over wifi is free. Some android phones have wifi calling capabilities. You would have to try on your phone. Enable Wi-Fi calling on phone. Put in airline mode and try to make a call.

8 minutes ago, novacova said:

Making a call over wifi is free. Some android phones have wifi calling capabilities. You would have to try on your phone. Enable Wi-Fi calling on phone. Put in airline mode and try to make a call.

I tried on Samsung and Xiaomi phone. Both prompt that I must turn off the airplane mode to call.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:39 PM, Lim Yuan Hai said:

Can anyone advise how can I make cost-effective or free calls to Singapore landline numbers from Bangkok?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Wifi calling works for me.  So does my USA mobile carrier, on wifi or using cellular. No cost. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:24 AM, Lim Yuan Hai said:

I tried on Samsung and Xiaomi phone. Both prompt that I must turn off the airplane mode to call.

Is Wifi calling enabled? (go to Settings--> connections)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, novacova said:

If you have a Singapore sim in an iPhone, then put the phone in airplane mode and call over wifi to the landline. 

1. Not only iPhone. Samsung has it as well and I'm pretty sure every midrange upwards Android phones have it as well.

2. This service (VoIP) must be provided by the cellular company. Although AIS (and probably other Thai companies) allows to use the service overseas, I checked with some non Thai cellular suppliers and they only give that service in-country as they prefer to sell expensive roaming packages.

I have a sim from a non Thai company that gives the service in their home country as I hoped I'd be able to use it here, but it's blocked. I installed a VPN with servers in that country and still won't work as the VPN servers won't allow VoIP. Still haven't don't a way to overcome this problem...

On 7/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, sirineou said:

I  call banks an d goverment in the US, Greece and Italy all the time with no problem. Never called in Singapore so I am not entirely sure. But I don't think it should not  be a problem , I have a bank account in a US bank and I call them all the time, I have also called Wise in the UK. etc.

I had it for years. If you are interested, get a one month world unlimited subscription, and if does not work for you, Cancels it. 

I had Skype for years and I am very happy with the service. But there are other VOIP (Voice over IP) companies out there,Google VOIP and see .if there is another that fits your requirements better,  

I got a USA Skype number and can call any USA landline or mobile phone. $10/month. The Skype unlimited plan mentioned edrlier in this thread may be a better deal though.  

If both parties are on the free Skype account they can call each other without any paid plan.

LINE, telegram, signal and others wifi services are free too but require each party to have the app.

• Like 1

I know that this is a bit off-topic, but ... I use an Android phone to call a bank in Australia 2 weeks ago.  "Your call will be answered by the new available customer assistant."  Call was finally answered after 45 minutes; was transferred to 3 customer assistantd.  Total call time was about 85 minutes, cost Baht 210.

11 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I got a USA Skype number and can call any USA landline or mobile phone. $10/month. The Skype unlimited plan mentioned edrlier in this thread may be a better deal though.  

If both parties are on the free Skype account they can call each other without any paid plan.

LINE, telegram, signal and others wifi services are free too but require each party to have the app.

Same here. I get the unlimited plan because I have foamily all over the world, 

Three sisters al in different countrie, and boy do they love to talk. Sometimes we talk for hours. Same with calling banks or goverment. sometimes they have you on hold listening to crappy music for an eternity. 

Edited by sirineou

Just now, sirineou said:

Same here. I get the unlimited plan because I have foamily all over the world, 

Three sisters al in different countrie, and boy do they love to talk. Sometimes we talk for hours; 

The UI is clumsy and awkward to use with half second delays in clicking buttons, but the call quality is good generally. Still get drops occasionally too. Still, the best I've found for my needs.

The only fail I've found is using that number to open a USA IRS account. They accept only USA land-line and mobile number for verification during account login, and I have neither. They won't accept the Skype USA number for some reason.

Google voice. Free calls to USA, Canada, and a few others. Cheap everywhere else, like $0.01 per minute. No monthly charge. Need to use vpn connected to USA to sign up.

Use this number to call banks in Canada and the US for years with no problem.

Free number that can be called. Missed calls to you get free message taking with transcribed message emailed to you.

Etc.

Tried skype years ago. Waste of time(and money) if you can get GV. 

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

1. Not only iPhone. Samsung has it as well and I'm pretty sure every midrange upwards Android phones have it as well.

2. This service (VoIP) must be provided by the cellular company. Although AIS (and probably other Thai companies) allows to use the service overseas, I checked with some non Thai cellular suppliers and they only give that service in-country as they prefer to sell expensive roaming packages.

I have a sim from a non Thai company that gives the service in their home country as I hoped I'd be able to use it here, but it's blocked. I installed a VPN with servers in that country and still won't work as the VPN servers won't allow VoIP. Still haven't don't a way to overcome this problem...

You totally missed it and don’t understand my post. 

I have dual sim iPhone. A US provider sim and a common Thai sim. Call to and from either country via wifi calling 100% free to any number, and never charged 1 red cent or a single ฿. If one has a dual sim wifi calling enabled phone then there’s absolutely no need for a “Travel sim” Skype or any other.

Edited by novacova

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The UI is clumsy and awkward to use with half second delays in clicking buttons, but the call quality is good generally. Still get drops occasionally too. Still, the best I've found for my needs.

The only fail I've found is using that number to open a USA IRS account. They accept only USA land-line and mobile number for verification during account login, and I have neither. They won't accept the Skype USA number for some reason.

I have the same problem with logging on to my Social Security account where they ask to text me a security number. I resolved that problem by  Using My sister's address and telephone on file , and when I log on to my account I have my sister on FB messenger and she texts  me the code. 

Also I use Venmo to transfer money to my daughter on my laptop and often it would not work  unless I use a VPN signed in to a US server , then it works fine. If you have a VPN in your phone try that next time , maybe it will work.Probably not but you never know. I have called Social Security several times with Skype with never a problem but never IRA, so I don't really know .

31 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

I know that this is a bit off-topic, but ... I use an Android phone to call a bank in Australia 2 weeks ago.  "Your call will be answered by the new available customer assistant."  Call was finally answered after 45 minutes; was transferred to 3 customer assistantd.  Total call time was about 85 minutes, cost Baht 210.

That's why the Unlimited plan. Then you can leave the phone on speaker all day .