How can I make cost-effective or free calls to overseas landline numbers from Bangkok?

Lim Yuan Hai

Skype world wide subscription cost Australian $112 per year. I have an Australian Skype number also. Incoming calls fast and people think you in Australia, no international dial tone. Call any landlines or mobiles most popular countries. I use for business make about 100 calls to Australian mobiles each week. Unlimited diversion in and out.  Receive couple hundred calls a week via diversion from Australian business number.  Had for 10 years now.

Calls to banks 1800 and 1300 no problem. Sit back and listen to the music for an hour if you wish. You are number 30 in the queue. ????????

On 7/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, Lim Yuan Hai said:

Can anyone advise how can I make cost-effective or free calls to Singapore landline numbers from Bangkok?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Skype. You establish a credit and then use it the same as you would a land line. Incredibly cheap.

7 hours ago, novacova said:

You totally missed it and don’t understand my post. 

I have dual sim iPhone. A US provider sim and a common Thai sim. Call to and from either country via wifi calling 100% free to any number, and never charged 1 red cent or a single ฿. If one has a dual sim wifi calling enabled phone then there’s absolutely no need for a “Travel sim” Skype or any other.

The opposite, sir. I totally understood you, but you didn't understand my reply.

I also have duel SIM phone, and also another phone just in case.

The wi-fi calling aka VoIP is a service provided by the cellular company (AIS, dtak true or any overseas such company). The ability to use the service is provided by the phone you use. If you put a sim of a provider that does not support this service, your phone won't show the option of wi-fi calling. Now, as I use AIS I can only comment about their service, and it is available to use overseas. When I travel out of Thailand I take the spare phone with me, buy and install a local SIM of the country I'm at on that phone and use the local data to provide wi-fi for the phone with Thai SIMs (I have 2 Thai SIMs) and as you said, I can use my Thai numbers as if I'm in Thailand at no extra costs.

However, there is a country I frequently visit and have a permanent post paid SIM of that country as I want to keep the number. On my last visit to that country I checked with the provider if they support wi-fi calling, and the answer was yes. I asked to have the service opened for my number and tested it while there - worked great. When I returned to Thailand I tried to use that phone over wi-fi and not only it didn't work, but the option on my phone wasn't showing. I put a Thai SIM on the phone and the option magically appeared again. So I called that overseas cell company's customer service and the final answer was that they block the service out of the country. I then contacted 2 other cell providers and both answered that they only provide this service IN country. I am still looking for a way to bypass this restriction but haven't found one yet. I have installed a VPN with servers in that said country but still didn't work. I contacted the VPN provider who told me that their servers do not support VoIP traffic.

So if anyone has any suggestion how to solve this problem please tell.

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have the same problem with logging on to my Social Security account where they ask to text me a security number. I resolved that problem by  Using My sister's address and telephone on file , and when I log on to my account I have my sister on FB messenger and she texts  me the code. 

Also I use Venmo to transfer money to my daughter on my laptop and often it would not work  unless I use a VPN signed in to a US server , then it works fine. If you have a VPN in your phone try that next time , maybe it will work.Probably not but you never know. I have called Social Security several times with Skype with never a problem but never IRA, so I don't really know .

Hmmm. Yes, I was using a VPN (doesn't everyone now who understands the issues?), but think it was probably connected to Singapore. I had the same problem with my bank but finally twigged to the problem and switched the connection. I can call IRS,SSA, etc but logging on is a different thing.

I too plan to use a close friend to get the phone codes she can message me on LINE.

I'll try again with IRS using a USA connection. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do that all the time using the normal AIS' "1 to Call" prepaid service using their international access code (003), followed by the country code then the phone number, which you can find by going on their website.  Simple as eating pie!

On 7/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, Sheryl said:

Is Wifi calling enabled? (go to Settings--> connections)

Is not the point with air plane mode that it blocks wifi and mobile data? So how can Voip work if wifi is blocked?

On 7/26/2023 at 3:31 AM, novacova said:

You totally missed it and don’t understand my post. 

I have dual sim iPhone. A US provider sim and a common Thai sim. Call to and from either country via wifi calling 100% free to any number, and never charged 1 red cent or a single ฿. If one has a dual sim wifi calling enabled phone then there’s absolutely no need for a “Travel sim” Skype or any other.

What has the Dual sim to do with it?

On 7/22/2023 at 6:04 AM, novacova said:

If you have a Singapore sim in an iPhone, then put the phone in airplane mode and call over wifi to the landline. 

Is not the air plane mode blocking the wifi? That is what air plane mode is supposed to do. And also blocking mobile data.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:23 AM, gargamon said:

Google voice. Free calls to USA, Canada, and a few others. Cheap everywhere else, like $0.01 per minute. No monthly charge. Need to use vpn connected to USA to sign up.

Use this number to call banks in Canada and the US for years with no problem.

Free number that can be called. Missed calls to you get free message taking with transcribed message emailed to you.

Etc.

Tried skype years ago. Waste of time(and money) if you can get GV. 

They've cracked down and you can no longer sign up from overseas. Believe, I've tried.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't block, it just turns them off, and you can just switch wifi back on.

Interesting! I will try that next time I need to make a call to a landline. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

They've cracked down and you can no longer sign up from overseas. Believe, I've tried.

I've been a GV user for a long time. You could never sign up from overseas. Only USA people need apply. But, with a VPN, and maybe a new google acct, it can still be done. 

7 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I've been a GV user for a long time. You could never sign up from overseas. Only USA people need apply. But, with a VPN, and maybe a new google acct, it can still be done. 

Nope, I tried everything. I even set up a new gmail account and asked my sister to use it to register in the U.S. They don't send the verification code by email anymore; now they use the YouTube notification center apparently to make sure it's your account. I had another friend in the U.S. try and he told me he couldn't do it either.

If there is anyway to do it I certainly would like to know.