Thai License Plate Display

Our nephew pulled the rear plate off of my pickup so that he could repaint it, the bumper, that is, not the plate.  He hasn't done so as yet, and hasn't put the plate back on (will do so this afternoon when he gets home from his daily lobotomy in the Thai school system).

The wife & I were out on Vibhavadi-Rangsit this morning down past Ngam Wong Wan inbound.  Got flagged over by a cop who said he'd have to write me a ticket as didn't have the rear plate displayed.  The wife is a pretty good BSer (I am too, when alone) and talked him out of the ticket (before he even had the opportunity to offer a deal, like baht 200 on the spot rather than b 500 at the station).  He waved us on.

In any case, I thought Thai law said one plate was OK, and if only one, must be displayed on the front of the vehicle.  Which, BTW, makes no sense to me as in a chase situation the cops would probably like to read the plate #s.  However, TiT!

Anyone know the rules here for display of plates?

Mac

post-32650-1184139643_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1184139669_thumb.jpg

Are those extra wooden bumpers? Good idea, but probably not gonna be effective above 2mph. Why not throw caution to the wind and go the whole hog? A couple of RSJ's welded on would do wonders for your street cred

Hey, those hard wood bumpers are a whole lot better than the "standard" you buy for baht 1,500-baht 3,000 that are made out of recycled beer cans.  When I get a ding I can just sand it out and revarnish.  The light metal ones just bend and crumple.

Besides, there's the cost.  These ran baht 200 for the rear one and baht 300 for the front as I need to have fabricated a couple of iron brackets to support it.

Mac