Felicitous Felines: Beliefs About Thai Cats and Breed Characteristics

snoop1130

We adopted a Konja (aka Bombay Cat) some 4 years ago. Now he's the king of the house, vary protective of the property to the point where when I have craftsmen or gardeners coming to fix something I have to lock him up in the bedroom. They are scared <deleted>less of him, as he has a reputation of an angry cat. Well, what can you expect from 20 razor sharp claws and 4 needle like canines. Even MIL tend to stay outside the gate as he scratched her very badly. However, when my friends or my brother comes to visit he just loves the company.

My wife is so fond of him, she will just spoil him silly and would say he's better than a guard dog. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

When i first came here also about 30 years ago I hardly ever saw a cat, I remember a travel book I had that even explained why  "Thai cats survive mainly by keeping out of sight" or so it said.

There seems to have been a surge in popularity recently, coinciding with covid, but i don't know if there is a connection 

I also wondered about the tail, at first I thought they were botched amputations, but I can happily tell you that it's a genetic thing, I read about it online, but whilst I am as skeptical of online stuff as I am of what I read in newspapers, the wife's sister's cat confirmed it for me.

That cat has a classic short tail with a hooked end, and recently had 4 kittens ,   2 had short hooked tails, One has a short tail with no hook, and one has the longest "normal" tail I have ever seen on a cat

The deformed tails do not seem to negatively affect the cats at all,  and they have no problem jumping up on tables or anywhere else

We have 3 Mekong Bobtails not mentioned in the article they are a classic breed with short flat tails with a bobble on the end. Totally rule the house. The short flat tail is not detrimental to them

received_1954433328243399.jpeg

20230510_190302.jpg

20230510_190228.jpg

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

We adopted a Konja (aka Bombay Cat) some 4 years ago. Now he's the king of the house, vary protective of the property to the point where when I have craftsmen or gardeners coming to fix something I have to lock him up in the bedroom. They are scared <deleted>less of him, as he has a reputation of an angry cat. Well, what can you expect from 20 razor sharp claws and 4 needle like canines. Even MIL tend to stay outside the gate as he scratched her very badly. However, when my friends or my brother comes to visit he just loves the company.

My wife is so fond of him, she will just spoil him silly and would say he's better than a guard dog. 

I had a Bombay cat aswell, it was really my maids second cat but I ended up with him. I was very surprised how people friendly he was, not being a cat person I googled his looks and found a description of him saying he was a Bombay. Honestly he was more doglike than cat-like would follow you around the house from the time I woke up. Highly affectionate breed I honestly didn't know cats behaved that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

Cats are amazing animals:

Some can survive a fall from the 32nd stories with only minor injuries.

Unlike dogs, humans didn't domesticate cats. They domesticated us.

Some researchers say that our advanced civilization wouldn't be possible without cats. Early human civilizations relied much on the grain to eat. Cats protected the grain stores from expansion of rodents, who would otherwise destroy it.

Some other researchers say that the cat's brain work similar to human brain. It forms neuron connections in a very similar way to us. Maybe that's why cats are so attracted to humans.

Cats are born with genetic memory. They know everything about hunting, fighting and hiding from the day they are born. It takes them 1-2 years to coordinate that knowledge with their body, muscles and "tools".

Personally, I think that cats know everything there is to know about Life, Universe and Everything. They don't want to tell us because they regard us as somewhat inferior to real Cats....????????

All quite true.

My little (now full size) siamese cat was the offspring of a soi cat and I took her home (having bred seal point, chocolate point and blue (or lilac?) Point siamese cats (purebreds with papers....for sale back in my home country  ).

I recall Winston Churchill saying that dogs looked up to you, cats looked down on you and pigs looked you straight in the eye !

PS.  suppose that she stays with us for the bug hiuse , garden and food every day .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpaceKadet said:

So true...

My MIL and wife both hated cats. Took me twenty years to get one. I had to put my foot down and tell her we were getting a cat, and that it was not a fight she could win. I also told her that if after a year, she still did not want the cat, we would get rid of it. It took about a week for her to fall in love with the cat. That was almost four years ago. 

My 70-year-old mother-in-law walks to the market and back to bring fresh fish to cook for the cat when she visits...

• Like 1

A true story:

During WW2 when German army besieged Stalingrad for several months, the defenders were almost starved to death. In the end they had to resort to consume their pets, all the stray dogs and cats. When all the cats were gone, there was an explosion in rodent population that poisoned and ate most of the grain in stores, adding to the famine. Once the siege was lifted, the local population had to import all the cats they could find in the surrounding villages, and the order was restored. Thanks to the mighty CAT!

And some people just cry that a cat kills a bird or two.

My BAC (Black Angry Cat) makes a short order of the squirrels that we have around here, trying to get to wife's rice or occasional food rests. And then proudly presents the remains to us. Not to mention occasional rat that strays into our property.  

Occasional cockroach are dealt with by my resident Geckos. Estimated lifespan... 5 minutes. Unfortunately their population also suffered when the BAC took over the ownership on the house... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

A true story:

During WW2 when German army besieged Stalingrad for several months, the defenders were almost starved to death. In the end they had to resort to consume their pets, all the stray dogs and cats. When all the cats were gone, there was an explosion in rodent population that poisoned and ate most of the grain in stores, adding to the famine. Once the siege was lifted, the local population had to import all the cats they could find in the surrounding villages, and the order was restored. Thanks to the mighty CAT!

And some people just cry that a cat kills a bird or two.

My BAC (Black Angry Cat) makes a short order of the squirrels that we have around here, trying to get to wife's rice or occasional food rests. And then proudly presents the remains to us. Not to mention occasional rat that strays into our property.  

Occasional cockroach are dealt with by my resident Geckos. Estimated lifespan... 5 minutes. Unfortunately their population also suffered when the BAC took over the ownership on the house... 

My 3 Mekong Bobtails make short work of the gekkos and small snakes that enter the house no explosion of cockroaches.