Students from very wealthy families overrepresented in elite colleges: research

Social Media

image.png

Students with parents in the top 1 percent income level are overrepresented in elite colleges, according to a new study released Monday by Opportunity Insights.

The study looked at eight Ivy League schools, plus Stanford, M.I.T., Duke and the University of Chicago, to find that after accounting for other application factors such as test scores, wealthier students were still overrepresented at the colleges.

The study conducted by Harvard economists showed those in the top 1 percent were 34 percent more likely to get into the college than other applicants while those in the top 0.1 percent were 50 percent more likely to make it in even with the same ACT or SAT scores. 

The top three reasons researchers found this to be the case is schools’ preferences towards students with family that have gone to the school before, recruited athletes and nonacademic ratings for students from private schools. 

Nonacademic ratings are based on a student’s personality and extracurricular activities. Those in the top 0.1 percent are one and a half times more likely to have higher non-academic ratings than the middle class.

Recruiting athletes also tends to benefit the rich as some of the sports at these elite colleges cater to those normally practiced by wealthier individuals.

FULL STORY

image.png

6 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Uhm, obviously, because they actually got an education.

Children from ultra-wealthy families are more than twice as likely to gain admission to Ivy League schools compared to others with comparable test scores, finds a widely shared new working paper from a group of Harvard economists who study inequality.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Children from ultra-wealthy families are more than twice as likely to gain admission to Ivy League schools compared to others with comparable test scores, finds a widely shared new working paper from a group of Harvard economists who study inequality.

That's interesting.

I wonder if their study showed the new phenomenon of blacks with lower scores being accepted and whites with higher scores being rejected.

• Like 1

Just now, FruitPudding said:

That's interesting.

I wonder if their study showed the new phenomenon of blacks with lower scores being accepted and whites with higher scores being rejected.

You could always read the OP link or the link I provided in my post:

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/25/affirmative-action-wealthy-students-ivy-league

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You could always read the OP link or the link I provided in my post:

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/25/affirmative-action-wealthy-students-ivy-league

So, according to the graph, poor folks are a bit over-represented, middle class also a bit, upper class under-represented, and elite far over represented. Amirite?

34 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Duh!  Is this finding a surprise to anyone? 

Totally surprised ????

And now can someone do a study for Thailand?

Guess the super wealthy might be underrepresented in Thai universities as they are sent abroad to US, Switzerland, UK and where else.

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 hours ago, Tug said:

Most of them just party through cause da das got their back and the dean by the sensitive parts (money wise)really no surprise absolutely none

Not just $$$ but clout: "do you know who my father is?"

Your post brings to mind a recent SCOTUS appointee whose hearings involved a lot of discussion of alcohol consumption.  Recently read some scuttlebutt that he is more of an incompetent idiot than people think he is, but I wouldn't know.  Oh yeah, he went to Yale Law.