Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Or more likely, he is fictitious 

Able & unwilling makes him unworthy in my book.

Are Ra, Osiris & Isis any less likely than any other god?

I guess that's why it's called the Problem of Evil.

Yet when we look at the complexity of life we can't help but wonder how this could possibly have come about by a random accident. What are the odds? Gazillions to one with the Big Bang Theory or whatever else is in vogue ?at present?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you sure that you are not, again, mixing up the two different measures of intelligence, i.e. Crystallized Intelligence VS Fluid Intelligence?

Because, of course, I am speaking of Fluid Intelligence when I tell you that James Flynn's observation is CORRECT that Fluid Intelligence has been increasing by about 3 IQ points each decade.

Oh, no. Not just younger and taller but smarter as well.

13 minutes ago, mike_rad said:

I guess that's why it's called the Problem of Evil.

Yet when we look at the complexity of life we can't help but wonder how this could possibly have come about by a random accident. What are the odds? Gazillions to one with the Big Bang Theory or whatever else is in vogue ?at present?

In my view it is explained by the passage of time.  The odds of that spark are infinitesimally small in one year, but we are talking billions of years, it just needed that one spark to create life, every living thing is descended from that.

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

In my view it is explained by the passage of time.  The odds of that spark are infinitesimally small in one year, but we are talking billions of years, it just needed that one spark to create life, every living thing is descended from that.

Possibly, but it's still a theory, and always will be, because how would it be possible to prove it scientifically, given the scientific process requires repeated experiments, peer review, etc?

4 minutes ago, mike_rad said:

Possibly, but it's still a theory, and always will be, because how would it be possible to prove it scientifically, given the scientific process requires repeated experiments, peer review, etc?

However small the odds of that happening, and I tend to think it's not that small given the billions of galaxies and the eternity of time. The much smaller probability is that there is a god who had no beginning and has no end and created a civilization on a single planet at this time. We have already found evidence of life on other planets.

edit: And not only that, only one of those species worhsips a god and many of them worship different gods, or no god. Religion has nothing to do with life. God isn't a thing.

Edited by ozimoron

3 minutes ago, mike_rad said:

Agreed.

I view believers in modern religions with the same incredulity that I would someone believing in an Egyptian or Roman god.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Rather than trying to blind everyone with science, I'm using the accepted dictionary definition. Let's call it "general intelligence" so there's no confusion.

Now you are beginning to really CONFUSE me.  Science is important.  Here, from IBM, is a very simple, not deep-mind, tutorial on FLUID VS CRYSTALLIZED Intelligence.  And, YES, it DOES matter:

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

However small the odds of that happening, and I tend to think it's not that small given the billions of galaxies and the eternity of time. The much smaller probability is that there is a god who had no beginning and has no end and created a civilization on a single planet at this time. We have already found evidence of life on other planets.

edit: And not only that, only one of those species worhsips a god and many of them worship different gods, or no god. Religion has nothing to do with life. God isn't a thing.

Define a god?  How can you know any other specie cultivate an higher than themselves creatures? 

As those you call out as hypocrites, you do not know! 

I do not know, no human on this planet know, they believe something same as you and me! 

Why is it so hard to say, I do not know, but I believe ,,,,,,

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 4:47 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

...But, I will say that, just judging by the FLYNN EFFECT, your teens are probably smarter than you, and this may be due to better nutrition and better health, which might be due to better vaccines at an early age....  AND, for THIS, we can definitely thank people like Bill Gates."

I just lost 13 straight games of scrabble to my 15 year old son... I surrender resistance is futile...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Are you sure that you are not, again, mixing up the two different measures of intelligence, i.e. Crystallized Intelligence VS Fluid Intelligence?

Because, of course, I am speaking of Fluid Intelligence when I tell you that James Flynn's observation is CORRECT that Fluid Intelligence has been increasing by about 3 IQ points each decade.

Call it what you will, I never saw teenagers ( when I was one ) walking along a public pavement looking at a screen instead of where they were going.

Also, we could all subtract 30 from 100 to work out what change we should be given if buying something, without needing a machine to tell us.

Fluid intelligence, whatever that may be, is meaningless if there is no common sense to go with it.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Call it what you will, I never saw teenagers ( when I was one ) walking along a public pavement looking at a screen instead of where they were going.

Also, we could all subtract 30 from 100 to work out what change we should be given if buying something, without needing a machine to tell us.

Fluid intelligence, whatever that may be, is meaningless if there is no common sense to go with it.

This is true. 

However, arithmetic ability is an example of crystallized intelligence. True? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

and created a civilization on a single planet at this time.

Only religion claims that God created humans specifically.

Is it not more likely that God created the universe, gave it rules to function by ( gravity etc ) and left it to get on with it?

IMO we are just one of untold millions of intelligent species to be found in the universe, spawned by evolution.

Religion has nothing to do with my life, but I believe in a higher power that is unprovable by science because our science is too primitive to do so.

If our science can't cure cancer or stop people killing each other it just ain't that special, is it?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now you are beginning to really CONFUSE me.  Science is important.  Here, from IBM, is a very simple, not deep-mind, tutorial on FLUID VS CRYSTALLIZED Intelligence.  And, YES, it DOES matter:

Matters to whom?

Makes no difference to me what sort of intelligence invented such monstrosities as the hydrogen bomb- it's just evil.

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Evidence of life on other planets. Say what now. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:24 AM, ozimoron said:

However small the odds of that happening, and I tend to think it's not that small given the billions of galaxies and the eternity of time.

Where do you start? Put a group of monkeys and apes into an enclosure in the jungle and wait for something to happen? Now that wait could very well be decillions upon decillions of years. The human species would likely become extinct before that.  

On 7/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Agreed.

I view believers in modern religions with the same incredulity that I would someone believing in an Egyptian or Roman god.

Most if not all religions are 'astrothelogical' in origin.

As Thomas Paine put it:

"The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the sun, in which they put a man called Christ in the place of the sun, and pay him the adoration originally payed to the sun."

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Evidence of potential building blocks or compounds associated with life are not the same as evidence of life. Of interest nonetheless. 

Indeed... evidence of flour, eggs, sugar and such is not evidence of a cake.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Evidence of potential building blocks or compounds associated with life are not the same as evidence of life. Of interest nonetheless. 

Taken in the context that that is the very next planet and the billions of planets and years it would seem to be an odds on bet. They surmise that earth like conditions are common in this galaxy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

'Call it what you will, I never saw teenagers ( when I was one ) walking along a public pavement looking at a screen instead of where they were going'

Indeed mate.

1001.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Taken in the context that that is the very next planet and the billions of planets and years it would seem to be an odds on bet. They surmise that earth like conditions are common in this galaxy.

Yep. The Fermi paradox.

1 minute ago, notmyself said:

'Call it what you will, I never saw teenagers ( when I was one ) walking along a public pavement looking at a screen instead of where they were going'

Indeed mate.

1001.jpg

If I was a teenager again the one thing I would wish I had was a mobile phone and internet. Especially line. Life would have been so much easier. You wouldn't have to wait 6 months to accidentally cross paths with that girl you liked and we wouldn't have had to drive all over town looking for weed.

• Haha 1

I am a low IQ human of only 132.  I could never parse algebra, but somehow, I figured out that religion was garbage by age 15.  Catholic mother, and father who did not attend church. Dad was my mentor.

Broken homes and average IQ scores can yield some interesting results.

• Like 1

Just now, Felton Jarvis said:

I am a low IQ human of only 132.  I could never parse algebra, but somehow, I figured out that religion was garbage by age 15.  Catholic mother, and father who did not attend church. Dad was my mentor.

I got carted off to sunday school every sunday morning by the salvation army press gangs that came and relieved parents of their kids for a few hours. In high school I got kicked out of religious instruction at 13 for asking the teacher which religion was real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Felton Jarvis said:

The proper mentorship of a father is crucial for developing an inquisitive mind.

Take Feynman's Dad...for example....

Here is a video showing how Feynman's dad altered the course of his life...and for the better.

Also, in this video, you can listen to how Feynman enjoyed the company of prostitutes, and also sleeping with the wives of his academic colleagues while at places like Cornell.. (I already mentioned the bongos that Feynman loved, but I did not mention the prostitutes, even though I had read about it.)

Feynman's IQ was tested at 125 when he was 17, but obviously there is an error involved in the testing method, surely.  Nobody ever asks the question about the testing procedure.  And ANYWAY, it doesn't really matter because the IQ scale does not necessarily measure creativity or the qualities that are required to be gifted in Physics....

So then, enjoy the video if you will....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If I was a teenager again the one thing I would wish I had was a mobile phone and internet. Especially line. Life would have been so much easier. You wouldn't have to wait 6 months to accidentally cross paths with that girl you liked and we wouldn't have had to drive all over town looking for weed.

Traipsing down to the library in the p****** rain to do research for homework. Most the entire collective knowledge of mankind at your fingertips. Granted you have to search for it but same with the library. Back 'in the day', lack of knowledge could be put down to lack of opportunity such as no schools, libraries etc. but now, for the most part, if an individual doesn't know something it's because they don't care to and that is called wilful ignorance.

• Like 2

I like to rely on the highest, supreme authority when living my life.  What better authority is there than an omnipotent all knowing supreme power?  Most commonly referred to as God.

It appears to me, by the tone of this article that science is attempting to dethrone God as this supreme authority.

I looked at the first commandment, "Though shall have no gods before me."

Then I looked at my entire life and I had failed miserably breaking this simple commanment and wondering why problem after problem kept arising.  I worshipped the false gods of money, share markets, science made food and water, medical science, hollywood and sports icons, billionaires, politicians.  The list is endless.

A few years ago I stopped worshipping these fake gods and and slowly transitioned to only natural God made food, water, medicine, prayers, and the changes were profound, immense and immediate.  I transcended the false gods like a snake shedding its skin. 

The meaning of the word smart appears to have shifted meaning to those who blindly follow false gods.  

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

LOL. Why should intelligent life ( or any sort of life ) require Earth like conditions? Life could be something completely unknown to us.

Also, just because a planet has Earth like conditions does not mean it will have life as we know it to be.