Thailand Hikes Entrance Fees for Foreign Visitors at Historical Attractions

webfact

18 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I used to live in Orlando FL near Disney World. 

I got drastically reduced rates for season tickets because I lived in the area. 

Was that fair or racist? 

In Delaware, state residents pay a reduced rate to get into state parks. The idea is that residents pay Delaware state tax, which goes toward park upkeep, whereas out-of-staters don’t. That seems reasonable to me, although the difference between the rates isn’t nearly the tenfold gap that occurs here, which seems excessive. Also, a (government-owned) state park is one thing and a (corporate-owned) theme park is another. Disney would be exclusively focused on the bottom line, so perhaps they’re providing incentives for local residents, who are within easy driving distance all year long, to visit the park more frequently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, No Forwarding Address said:

I  used to think that, then 15 years later figured out it makes no difference to the Thai Govt what we think.............we are a non-entity so why get our knickers in an uproar over a couple hundred baht??  Life's too short 

The reality is it simply does not end there.....from the 220 baht the ATM wants, the proposed 300 baht airport fee, the special  price of everyday services, the selective treatment by traffic police, random littering accusations etc etc to the silly payments, fines  and certifications immigration require... it can wear one down. Other than that, great place to retire......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

In Delaware, state residents pay a reduced rate to get into state parks. The idea is that residents pay Delaware state tax, which goes toward park upkeep, whereas out-of-staters don’t. That seems reasonable to me, although the difference between the rates isn’t nearly the tenfold gap that occurs here, which seems excessive. Also, a (government-owned) state park is one thing and a (corporate-owned) theme park is another. Disney would be exclusively focused on the bottom line, so perhaps they’re providing incentives for local residents, who are within easy driving distance all year long, to visit the park more frequently.

illogical Thai apologist post.

State discounts are not equal to foreigner fleecing.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Warning!.......................Don't go to Delaware!

15 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Bit of an insult to claim that at least 50% of the people on this forum are narrow minded xenophobes, don't you think? 

I know right? I was guessing at least 75%, ????

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was charged 5,000 baht more than my Australian friend(who lives in Thailand) at Royal Melbourne Golf club, just based on my Thai nationality.

So you agree with the overpricing of foreigners? How about foreign residents in Australia? Do they pay local or foreign?

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foreigners are not charged more, locals are given discount. 

Residents of Victoria get the biggest discount, I imagine regardless of their nationality. Foreigners in Oz can show some kind of residents card. Foreigners in Thailand can't and it's hard for authorities to distinguish between them and tourists, partly due to the fact that many don't learn the language or want to integrate into society. Yet, the slightest feeling of discrimination and they shout to the heavens. Usually entitled long-term expats .

The answer is to provide foreigners with a resident card, if they pay taxes and work here and should get the local discount.

Should retired foreigners get the discount? I think they should if they produce a resident card, got by passing a language/culture test. 

For the entitled long term expats shouting 'racism', take a look at what happens to migrant workers as you sip your gin n tonic on the Embassy lawn.

Not all foreigners are sipping drinks on Embassy lawns.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 1:12 PM, cjinchiangrai said:

Whatever, it is small money.

Big money when it all adds up into a corrupt official's pocket, he may need a bigger pocket now though.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was charged 5,000 baht more than my Australian friend(who lives in Thailand) at Royal Melbourne Golf club, just based on my Thai nationality.

Not based on your Scottish nationality?  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

I don't think you understood a word of what I wrote. I wasn't being an "apologist" for anyone.

Indeed, these Thai bashers call everyone who doesn't hate living in Thailand this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:26 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I just love it every time we enter a National Park and I am singled out in front of my family and told to pay 5 or 10 times more. Makes me feel so welcome.  

At the end of a few weeks camping my fees are 000s of thb. Wife's fees are pocket money.

I've worked ten years in Thailand and make an almost proper salary which is over 4x hers. At 21k she doesn't even pay tax.

Edited by Seamaster

On 7/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, racket said:

Who visits these boring sites anyways? A waste of money, and you can get to see someone else on YouTube instead.

Sometimes there's double pricing on food too. I'll watch someone filming herself eating on YouTube. It's not the same experience. 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:38 PM, newnative said:

PARK SIGN

Thai Citizens    20 Baht

Visitors that are not Thai citizens    200 Baht

Racist?  No.  Nationalistic?  Yes.  If you produce a document at the park entrance that shows you have Thai citizenship and you are still charged 200 baht because you are white, that would be racist.  

Racist, yes, because my Asian (non Thai) friends can get in for the Thai price. If not racist, it's discrimination. 

However, I do understand to ask tourists a certain price. But I've been living here for 10+ years and able to read Thai. Plenty of times I've seen things such as:

คนไทย๑๐บาท

Foreigners 200 THB

Tourists who don't know any Thai will just pay, but if you point it out in Thai and still get to hear to pay the foreign price, it's a smack in the face after so much effort from some people to be just like everyone else in Thailand. + expats also pay income tax. 

Last time I've read that the airport arrival tax is for everyone except who can prove to have lived here with a wp. Why not in these cases of national parks etc? 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:47 PM, natway09 said:

Knew this would rile a few up again or still.

Let me tell you it happens all around the world, 95% chance in your country as well,

certainly the UK, France, Spain, Italy, NZ, Fiji, Indonesia, Sri Lanks, India & Australia, that I know of.

Just that it is called a locals discount

I am very surprised you fellas put up such a kerfuffle over a few measly Bht

If I would visit there, I would pay what they ask. 

If you're living somewhere almost longer than you've lived in your native country, and still need to pay the extra 'few measly THB' and singled out from your family, group of friends etc, you've to understand that that's bs

On 7/27/2023 at 11:00 PM, ujayujay said:

I think those responsible for making such decisions think, foreign visitors are stupid!

Sorry to say, but they could be. I've seen foreigners, fully consciously, tipping 1k for something that was actually like 150 THB or so. 

On 7/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, sandyf said:

Happens all over the world, but why should that come into it when whinging about Thailand has become the order of the day on here.

That's because its an English speaking website primarily concerned with Thai affairs (It used to be called ThaiVisa!) And you've obviously read the headline? :-

"Thailand Hikes Entrance Fees for Foreign Visitors at Historical Attractions."

Edited by sambum