Those who have had their accounts closed by UK banks

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

should consider getting on Nigel Farages database, the time is right

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/26/my-war-on-woke-banks-is-just-getting-started/

He's not referring to those who are non-UK residents (i.e. all those on this forum who have complained) who do not comply with the UK banks' residency legal requirements that are necessary, but not always strictly enforced, to have a UK bank account.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I think you'll find that unless you have a UK address linked to your Bank account. There is no obligation for UK banks to keep your account open. 

Even then I received a letter from my bank, saying they were aware I was living in Thailand and asking for my tax details here in Thailand. If I was not able to provide those details they would have closed my account. 

Which bank was that

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not referring to those who are non-UK residents (i.e. all those on this forum who have complained) who do not comply with the UK banks' residency legal requirements that are necessary, but not always strictly enforced, to have a UK bank account.

You're stating the obvious, it's a good opportunity for those people to get on the same bandwagon, highlighting an issue for expats

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're stating the obvious, it's a good opportunity for those people to get on the same bandwagon, highlighting an issue for expats

Waste of time.

The banks have every right to make their own commercial decisions. The non-U.K. approach was brought about by increased regulation.

The Farage case is about breach of trust………Coutts terms and conditions would allow them to close any account, for any reason they choose. They screwed up in the handling, and documenting, of that decision - plus ‘leaking’ it to the BBC.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

If the bank closes your account, then just open a Wise account. Problem solved.

That's not the same thing. You won't get any interest payments on savings. They are just a currency transfer service.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I hope Farage sues the lot of them.

a few days ago Farage was asked if he intended to sue the bank and BBC. He said all options were on the table. That same day the bank made an apology and the BBC followed suit. But politically the :hit-the-fan:Which lead to Alison Rose resigning.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Rubbish. I earn an income in the UK. Being able to keep that account is important to me. The bank wanted to know certain information. I provided that info. That is not rolling over. That is protecting myself from having my account closed. 

But if you want to be at loggerheads with your bank, go for it see how far it gets you! 

They may still close your account if you have Thai address

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

They may still close your account if you have Thai address

If you read my first comment after your OP. I stated that I use a UK address. That fact that I don't live at that address and never have seems to be irrelevant to the bank. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

That's not the same thing. You won't get any interest payments on savings. They are just a currency transfer service.

Yes you can get interest on cash with Wise, they were sending out emails about it recently. Balances moved to cash Funds or something like that

• Confused 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yes you can get interest on cash with Wise, they were sending out emails about it recently. Balances moved to cash Funds or something like that

I use Wise but have not been informed of that. So thanks I will check it out.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That may well change in the future, probably just one administrator overlooked it

As I said, The bank knows I live in Thailand. Even though I use a UK address. I provided the info they wanted so they would not close my account. It has nothing to do with administrators. 

1 minute ago, CharlieKo said:

As I said, The bank knows I live in Thailand. Even though I use a UK address. I provided the info they wanted so they would not close my account. It has nothing to do with administrators. 

Of course it does, the person who processed it accepted it was basically a fake address you never lived at, that could easy change in the future, but reassure yourself it wont happen you'll feel better that way. Banks can close accounts when they know you live abroad, it happens can take years, maybe just a policy change or more strictly applied

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I use Wise but have not been informed of that. So thanks I will check it out.  

You can get a debit card from them if you have a UK address.

I set up my Wise account from Thailand and they had no problem with my address, they only asked for a scan of my passport bio page. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course it does, the person who processed it accepted it was basically a fake address you never lived at, that could easy change in the future, but reassure yourself it wont happen you'll feel better that way. Banks can close accounts when they know you live abroad, it happens can take years, maybe just a policy change or more strictly applied

If it was a fake address they would have closed the account. It has nothing to do with reassuring myself. If at some stage the bank changes policy, then I will deal with it at that time. 

I've lived here in Thailand for 15 years. The bank have had plenty of time to discover I live in Thailand. They finally decided to ask me questions a couple years ago. I answered their questions. They did not close down the account. I have no reason to think they will close the account out of the blue. Maybe my situation is different from others. That they have not closed the account. 

I also think that the bank is not above bending the rules to keep accounts open. London still being the money laundering capitol of the world! 

To qualify that. Requirements for holding a UK bank account is being a resident of the UK! Banks determine that with a UK address. Using online banking I have changed my address a number of times. I have not been required to go to a branch to provide any documentation of proof of address. 

As far as the bank is concerned, I provided a UK address so they accept me as a client of the bank. 

Edited by CharlieKo
  • Like 1