Electricity / New Breaker?

zappalot

For our house we have a 25 year old meter providing a 10 (45) A connection to the grid.

All of our air-conditioners together now, if run at full capacity, would consume about 9 kW per hour which is close to max capacity, right?

In addition we have multiple computers, countless monitors/TVs, kitchen equipment and so on...

I had the idea to let the Metropolitan electric department have a look since our neighbor, the next one on the grid added an electric car recently to his fleet and let them check if the wiring leading to our house and the wiring in our house is still sufficient for the load.

I mean we have a breaker board where I can switch off every single air-conditioner, every single room in the house. Complete 100% new wiring for the whole house done 7 years ago

But the guy from the electric department recommended to exchange the meter in front of the house, the wiring towards the house and a part of the breaker system.

Sounds like logical to follow the recommendation, they would do it for about 35,000 Baht...

Any thoughts?

Has your incoming breaker ever actually opened on overload? What rating (Amps) is it?

Do you have electric water heaters? How big are they?

Are you contemplating an EV in the near future?

I'm assuming the man is suggesting a 30/100 meter, suitable cable from street to house (how far is it?) and a new 100A main breaker.

If you are contemplating an upgrade, do you have an RCD / RCBO? They are a valuable extra safety device. Don't know? Post photo of your existing distribution board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

1. Has your incoming breaker ever actually opened on overload? What rating (Amps) is it?

2. Are you contemplating an EV in the near future?

3. I'm assuming the man is suggesting a 30/100 meter, suitable cable from street to house (how far is it?) and a new 100A main breaker.

If you are contemplating an upgrade, do you have an RCD / RCBO? They are a valuable extra safety device. Don't know? Post photo of your existing distribution board.

1. No, rating not sure
2. No
3. yes, 30/100 is suggested, cable they would exchange, just 10 m

We have a safety system so that even smallest imbalances should trigger a electricity stop (tested in the shower heaters, seemed to work)

Photos are incoming cables, new breakers and last one old breaker, we have another new one in the 4th floor for the 4th floor

electric1.jpg

electric2.jpg

electric3.jpg

My wife says 1. is for the new wiring from the street, 2. is for the new breaker which would support 30/100 and 3. is the new earthing/grounding.

We have earthing/grounding but it seems a higher rating incoming would make an new one necessary (at least what they say)...

My interpretation of the thai document:

item 1:

1 phase + 1 neutral (2 wires total) from the meter to the panel in the house.  size = 1x50 sq. mm. type IEC01 (THW copper).  includes fastening and routing in conduit as necessary.

item 2:

replace one of your existing panels with a new 12 slot panel.  The new panel will include a 100A  2-pole, main breaker, a 32A single pole breaker, and 5 more single pole breakers with unspecified current rating. 

(my comment) If they want to replace some of your existing equipment, they might plan to re use some of your old breakers in the new panel.

item 3:

new earth rod.  5/8 inch × 8 foot long. New wire from panel to earth rod. 16 sq.mm type IEC 01 (THW copper) routed in conduit. 

(my comment) Likely reason to add the new earth rod and wire is to guarantee that it is sized appropriately for the new meter service.   I don't remember all the numbers from memory, but there is a table provided by PEA and the Thai EIT standards book that lists the required sizes.  I have the book at home.  I can post a picture of the table on Wednesday.

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 1

Thx so much for everyone's input, still not sure if we should change to 30/100 system or not. Actually since we never had any problems, just handle it as the Thais do: Waiting until the problem is coming, do not act in advance?

I'm surprised they didn't offer 3phase-N supply.

Keep that current level /mains size/earthing size/main breaker size...down.

100A has to be close in Thailand to requirement of CT metering.

Edited by bluejets