Chaoyang Cycle Inner Tubes

Digitalbanana

I've bought these Chaoyang Cycle Inner Tubes where on the box it says 29"x1.75/2.10 47/52 so I suppose the 47/52 is the max psi? I am using about 52-55psi for easiest rides for me on roads and never cross country or rougher ground.

Trouble is the latest tube only lasted 4-5 months and I got a flat, on the inner rim whilst not putting the bike under any extremes. I checked the wheel and its fine. The tape covering spokes on rim looked OK and wasn't penetrated near the puncture and the spoke is firmly fitted so it could not puncture the tire. Is is simply a case of poorly made inner tubes - they were some of the cheapest online? It's happened twice in a year now and always exactly on the inner side seem of the tube. In each instant the hole appeared quite large when immersed in water tub, the tire went flat in 30 seconds or less and nothing on the wheel could be seen to have caused it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I've bought these Chaoyang Cycle Inner Tubes where on the box it says 29"x1.75/2.10 47/52 so I suppose the 47/52 is the max psi? I am using about 52-55psi for easiest rides for me on roads and never cross country or rougher ground.

Trouble is the latest tube only lasted 4-5 months and I got a flat, on the inner rim whilst not putting the bike under any extremes. I checked the wheel and its fine. The tape covering spokes on rim looked OK and wasn't penetrated near the puncture and the spoke is firmly fitted so it could not puncture the tire. Is is simply a case of poorly made inner tubes - they were some of the cheapest online? It's happened twice in a year now and always exactly on the inner side seem of the tube. In each instant the hole appeared quite large when immersed in water tub, the tire went flat in 30 seconds or less and nothing on the wheel could be seen to have caused it.

I think 47 / 52 is mm equivalent of 1.75 / 2.1 inches.  The pressure is irrelevant to the inner tube - the tyre resists the pressure, not the tube. Try pumping up a tube when it’s not in the tyre, and see what pressure it holds.

Pump your tyres up to the highest pressure marked on the tyre, add two more strokes of the floor pump if you have a beer gut like mine, and you’ll get fewer punctures.  

If that’s not enough, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are almost bullet-proof, albeit bar-stewards to fit - especially on my mountain bike front wheel.

• Thanks 2

Hello,

I second that 47/52 (mm) are the equivalent of 1.75/2.1 (inches) that is the width of tire for that tube. 

I often have Chaoyang tubes and never thought they were of low quality. But lately on a new bike I had flats when the bike was at home (in a way better as I didn't have to find a way to get back home). They went flat 5 times on 3 days. The 2 first were maybe because the tube was too small for the tire (28mm on 35 tires). Then ordered some 32 but same results. Came back from a 100km ride, washed the bike and when took it after drying the front was flat. Fixed the front and when I was putting the wheel back on the bike, the rear was flat too. Both were ok when washing. No idea what happened. As I was leaving home the next day, I didn't take time to investigate but all seamed ok on the rim when I mounted the bike.

Another solution for confort and apparently less punctures, is to go tubeless. If your wheels and tire are compatible, it's an easy 1h task to convert them. All the needed materials can be found on Lazada or your preferred bike shop.

Happy riding

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

If that’s not enough, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are almost bullet-proof

Thanks for reply guys and explaining the 47/52 is size not pressure.

These Schwalbe Marathon Plus are tires yes? I don't think my tires are the issue here as I am always getting the hole away from the tire in the tube on the seem join on the inside of the tube where it sits on the wheel - it looks like the tube just blows a hole open by itself as nothing seems to penetrate it. Anyway I ordered two more Chaoyang Cycle Inner Tubes as they are only 80THB each on Shoppee and will see how long they last.