Ferry to Koh Samui Malfunctions and Strands Frightened Passengers for Hours

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

No mention of whether it was Raja or Seatran. Raja is typically less dependable, the boats are much older, and they seem to have more accidents and incidents.

Keeping that under wraps...my guess though it was the one with just four letters ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Is there any other ferry route in the world that has more oops than ferries getting to Samui?

I might visit after the bridge is completed ... or not.

The ferry was from the Raja Ferry-line – the photo shows the name "Raja 5" – that sails from Don Sak on the mainland to Lipa Noi Pier on Samui. There is another route with slightly newer ferries, Seatran, which sails from Don Sak – their pier is next to the Raja Pier – to Nathon Pier on Samui.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

There are several Companies running ferries on this route and it would be interesting to know which company operated the one mentioned in the story?

Look at the photo...:whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

No mention of whether it was Raja or Seatran. Raja is typically less dependable, the boats are much older, and they seem to have more accidents and incidents.

The Photo shows with line it is..????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blackshadow said:

its a big one       !!!!!

Yes correct, boats that size mostly have large engines, sometimes 1, sometimes 2, rarely 3.

Google Wartsila marine engines, probably the most efficient marine engines and some are very large!

typical cause and effect....all the burmese with the paddles in the hull needed a water break....

imagine if thais were actually forced into the water, knowing what good swimmers they are...

at least they are fully dressed aka bathing suits on already...salty wet jeans.....rashy!

Travelled on Raja on 5 May and Seatran 10 May last year, very noticecable the higher level of maintenance on the Seatran ferry. And the Raja belching out huge quantities of black smoke from its engines.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I went on a Raja ferry early this year from Donsak to Phangan the ferry caught fire in the engine room!  It sailed around for an hour before it finally docked back in Donsak and everyone was evacuated.  (I posted a photo at the time on one of the forums, loads of smoke).