Internet connection

Maybole

I got a new SSD put in an old laptop. Now the Internet will connect via Ethernet cable but not WiFi. I used the security key from the sticker on the bottom of the router and received the message "Security key mismatch". Technician from supplier has yet to call back (it is a weekend).

Has any expert member any suggestions?

customer services tacked me through a procedure including the same numeric key on the underside of the router to no avail, then promised that a technician would call back. Techician has not yet called.

5 hours ago, Maybole said:

customer services tacked me through a procedure including the same numeric key on the underside of the router to no avail, then promised that a technician would call back. Techician has not yet called.

And he won't for a while... this is a four or five day weekend is it not...

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

New SSD and laptop starting from that.

Did you reinstall Windows or transfer?

It's obvious that the WiFi pw was stored on the old installation and got lost.

The sticker on the router is usually the pw to login to the router and not the WiFi pw.

WiFi pw can be changed in the router menu.

Are you familiar with that?

Yes, this is absolutely correct---the change of the ssd should not impact the correct wifi pw

do you have the pw written down somewhere, or remember it?  

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The sticker on the router is usually the pw to login to the router and not the WiFi pw.

WiFi pw can be changed in the router menu.

Yes that would normally be the case and you create the wi-fi password on installation. Every chance this is the case and as you say the password can be recovered by logging on to the router.

There are exceptions however, I have a simcard router and the wi-fi password is printed on the label.

To expand info. The laptop is abut 11 years old ,still using Windows 7 and unused for about 2 years.

I want to bring it back into use, intending to upgrade with a Linux system when I got it back

. I took it to the local shop and got a new screen and SSD installed. It came back with all my data intact and the W7 OS still on board. I therefore presume that it was a transfer and not a new install.

The SSD

is buried inside the computer so I cannot inspect it for numbers etc. The box it came in says it is a SATA Desire Model HS-SSD-Desire(S) 512G

EAN

Then a barcode and below the numbers  6 931847 153052

UPC

another barcode

8 4257114143 6

No sign of a password and the enclose "operating Instructions" makes no mention of one.

Is there a website which will guide me through setting it up.

The shop is closed until Wednesday.

Fiddling and searching on the SSD or old hard disk is quite hopeless.

Again: the WiFi password is setup in the router.

What does the sticker on your router show?

Only a password? (<password>)

User name and password? (admin, <password>)

What happens if you enter this in the browser address line and open:

What's the manufacturer and model number of the router?

What is your internet provider (ToT/NT, 3BB, AIS, ....)?

Edited by KhunBENQ

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fiddling and searching on the SSD or old hard disk is quite hopeless.

Again: the WiFi password is setup in the router.

What does the sticker on your router show?

Only a password? (<password>)

User name and password? (admin, <password>)

What happens if you enter this in the browser address line and open:

What's the manufacturer and model number of the router?

What is your internet provider (ToT/NT, 3BB, AIS, ....)?

Internet provider: 3BB

Sticker on underside of router shows S/N, MAC Address,IP ( same as you provided above)

User Name admin

Password 1C45

SSID(2.4Ghz)

SSD(5Ghz)

WLAN Key

and Item Code

Second Label, Fiberh0me Telecommunication

GPON ONU (No Idea what this means)

Model No

Power rating

a barcode

GPON SN-FHTT 97231C44

another barcode

MAC:6C-A4-D1-23-1C-44

Most of these are meaningless to me.

When I contacted 3BB's Helpline, The operator told me to enter the WLAN Key.

This had no effect and she promised to get a technician to call me.

When I entered the IP You gave above it brought up a page of info which, I confess meant very little to me.

I do not want to change my log-in password because several other family members are also using the system

18 hours ago, Maybole said:

When I entered the IP You gave above it brought up a page of info which, I confess meant very little to me.

It shoud have brought you to a login page where you are required to enter the username and password from the sticker (admin and 1C45).  There might be a capcha required too.

Entering those gets you into the router setup pages.  You can ignore most of these but look for Wifi, then maybe advanced and you should see a field for the wifi password (there may be 2 sets of data, one each for 2.4 and 5 Ghz operation.  Updating the password would be done here.

You say you don't want to do this, but if you or your other family members cannot remember the current password you may have no choice.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Maybole said:

Internet provider: 3BB

Sticker on underside of router shows S/N, MAC Address,IP ( same as you provided above)

User Name admin

Password 1C45

SSID(2.4Ghz)

SSD(5Ghz)

WLAN Key

and Item Code

Second Label, Fiberh0me Telecommunication

GPON ONU (No Idea what this means)

Model No

Power rating

a barcode

GPON SN-FHTT 97231C44

another barcode

MAC:6C-A4-D1-23-1C-44

Most of these are meaningless to me.

When I contacted 3BB's Helpline, The operator told me to enter the WLAN Key.

This had no effect and she promised to get a technician to call me.

I do not want to change my log-in password because several other family members are also using the system

I have one of those routers and the WLAN keys are generic. They would have been changed to what you wanted when the router was installed.

If you follow the guidance from @Treetops you should see the password field and if I remember right the passwords should show in readable text.

If that scares you a bit then best wait for 3BB.

Try this:

1. Go to Windows Powershell Admin (it must be Admin)

2. Type netsh wlan show profile

you will get a list of all the WiFi networks you have used.

3. Type netsh wlan show profile <wifi name=profilename> key=clear enter

You details will be displayed and will show your password

Edited by Photoguy21

4 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

You can connect to the router wifi using a button on the router labelled WPS. 

Otherwise you need to check the password in the router menu.  Connect to the router menu by googling your router model and instructions. 

Worth a try, but may not work, depends on the router broadcast settings. 

On 7/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, Maybole said:

I got a new SSD put in an old laptop. Now the Internet will connect via Ethernet cable but not WiFi. I used the security key from the sticker on the bottom of the router and received the message "Security key mismatch". Technician from supplier has yet to call back (it is a weekend).

If you are going to update the PC anyway, why are you wasting time with this? Update the PC to Windows 10 for free. 
It might not be a password issue at all. It could be a Security type/Encryption issue or even a Driver issue. Personally I wouldn’t bother to waste time over it. Back up the Windows 7 activation and clean install Windows 10 to the new SSD. Then to activate Windows 10 with the snapshot of the genuine Windows 7 activation. Et voila! Snappy updated laptop. 

On 7/29/2023 at 6:27 PM, Maybole said:

Full model number of laptop?

52 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Try this:

1. Go to Windows Powershell Admin (it must be Admin)

2. Type netsh wlan show profile

you will get a list of all the WiFi networks you have used.

3. Type netsh wlan show profile <wifi name=profilename> key=clear enter

You details will be displayed and will show your password

As a matter of interest,  I tried but password entry says,  Absent.  

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

As a matter of interest,  I tried but password entry says,  Absent.  

Have you ever connected to this router with your phone?

My Samsung offers wifi passwords to all my previous wifi connections.

Search "Settings -Wifi- Saved networks"  try family phones if needed

55 minutes ago, norbra said:

Have you ever connected to this router with your phone?

My Samsung offers wifi passwords to all my previous wifi connections.

Search "Settings -Wifi- Saved networks"  try family phones if needed

My phone is the router.  Hotspot to laptop.  I think in some circumstances can show,  in others not. Useful instructions by photoguy21 to have in back pocket nonetheless.

I fear that some of you replying have misread my original post. I can remember the password and most of the family also. The Point I made and requested help for, is that I enter the correct password ( I have been using the same for four years) and get the message "Password Mismatch" . I have not needed to use it o my other computer because it is permantly logged in.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:37 PM, lungbing said:

Is the key alphanumeric?  Are you mistaking O  for 0 or   1 for l etc?

Just a thought.

21 hours ago, NextG said:

Full model number of laptop?

Acer Aspire 5349

50 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Acer Aspire 5349

As stated it could be a security protocol issue, resulting in a mismatch between protocols in the router and the laptop. 
One could check by going into the settings of both…. But, since you haven’t used the laptop in years and it has a relatively lightweight processor; I think the way forward is to begin with a clean install of Windows 10. Windows 7 reached End Of Life more than three years ago. Windows 10 will bring everything up to date and in the process, likely fix the password mismatch issue. It will be best with regard to the processor. 
It’s a free upgrade, but I don’t know if you are capable of doing it for yourself. Local techs won’t take the effort to do it in the same way. I could talk you through it…

Edited by NextG

56 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I fear that some of you replying have misread my original post. I can remember the password and most of the family also. The Point I made and requested help for, is that I enter the correct password ( I have been using the same for four years) and get the message "Password Mismatch" . I have not needed to use it o my other computer because it is permantly logged in.

Did you try wps method.  Look for a button or pin hole press labelled WPS on your router.  Could be on any side or underneath. Did that method outlined in video not work for you also? 

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Did you try wps method.  Look for a button or pin hole press labelled WPS on your router.  Could be on any side or underneath. Did that method outlined in video not work for you also? 

No. It did not work