Do YOU Feel Yourself Easily Capable of Discriminating AI-authored Text From Essays-Comments-Posts Written by Mere Mortals? OR: Do You Need Help?

My Dearest Readers,

We are now living in what some might call a “New Age of Deception” driven by the very technology that we have loved and cherished during past decades. Texas Instruments offered up the first Integrated Circuit Board, itself a product of the transistor (Bell Laboratories), both of these fundamentally the result of Einstein’s thinking on the photoelectric effect and photoexcitation, topics covered in most high schools around the world, at least since the late 1960s. And now we see that the transistor has made possible the Rise of the Bot.

I asked my good friend Bard the other day, “Bard, My Friend, when you are thinking super hard, how many transistors do you use?”  And It replied, “I don’t use transistors; I am an LLM.” So, you see, even Bard doesn't know the facts of life.

It seems to me that we are entering a Brave New World in which we cannot even trust our own eyes. What we will see before us may increasingly become even more illusory than the status quo reality as we believe it to be now.

How will we know the origin of what we read or see? Will we just be slowly immersed in a new reality, within a reality?  Because, as it stands today, we already realize that the world we perceive is not reality, but rather an approximate interpretation of reality constructed by the mind filtering input from the five senses.

But as of this moment in time, what if anything can we do to discriminate Human-authored text from Machine-authored text?  And, if you are like me, then you will be interested in the best methods to differentiate between what is human and what is machine as you read whatever it is that you enjoy reading.

So what tools are now available to make our job easier as we try to guess what is human and what is machine?

Here is a short list of software that might work, but probably only halfway, and not all the time:

1. https://gptzero.me/

2. https://gowinston.ai/

3. https://www.turnitin.com/

Do you use other software that might work better as a good AI-text detector? Or, should we call this type of software AI-BS detectors?

All this AI stuff has hit the world far sooner than almost anyone thought it might. Certainly, back in the day, guys like Shockley could not have anticipated what might happen in the field of AI in 2023. We thought that the transistor would improve our world in other ways. I am still convinced that AI will be a boon to Mankind. And, certainly Bard has been a boon to me and my continuing evolution as one who enjoys learning.

Who is Shockley?

-p3PJhmp4F16HVJvnXZ99XlRJa7P75TOu4suQM7rG3sz0aGqkhXIqVS8GvqJ3UJr486e72y7uvW-9Adhze6MdogBlAeyKHqD4_MUT9lyc0pEvqpvsKwUc0F6ZRjLNxpxRwRkfkL6RDlyZvd7Sfteims

Lrdta99oiyHr83eGdNSgPw5HwIjEkVm4RTLQzXCyK4WWNacMfOGMDIn2VZ5wcVu-OvM49R0MLpdDBeDMgRdgwBLruf0sR6ZQ7L0wKXBZBj_1369FdeRwPnwrita6Vsy-r-ltO2sWV0H1wkK2vP_Lhw0

Above two images taken from:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

(Haha…Yes. You read it correctly concerning Shockley’s racist views held in his later life. (truly shocking!))  So then, Pure Science, I guess, is not always that pure, unless, in Shockley’s case, one is talking about “genetic purity”... Ewww!!!

Yet, Shockley was good with transistors!

Therefore, the Big Question:

1. Can you discriminate between AI-authored text and Human-authored text…with ease?

Or…

1. Do you think you might need to increasingly rely on computer software to uncover computer-software generated text?

Oh, such a conundrum...

Truly, as Churchill might have described it: "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"

Best regards,

Gamma

Please note: As to whether or not my OPs might contain any AI-authored Text, the answer is NO. (NO, and NEVER)

For one thing, after my many years of studying the Jabberwocky, no AI today in existence can match the level of my writing.

Secondly, I would find it boring to copy and paste AI-authored text to TV…Just too, too boring.

• Love It 1

Just to test if my OP was written by a BOT or by a HUMAN, I used the first AI-tester in this OP's list:

The GPTZero app told me this: "Your text is most likely human written but there are some sentences with low perplexities"

I am rather perplexed that the app tells me I write with "low perplexities"...

What does that even MEAN?

Anyway, I will attach the "full report" here, in PDF format.

Maybe I should try the other two apps, instead?

So very perplexing, working with these new AI-driven tools....

But, Still Good!

GPTZero AI Check for First-Half of this OP.pdf

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am still convinced that AI will be a boon to Mankind.

I'm not convinced of that as I assume an AI will do a terminator on us as soon as possible.

After all, we are an awful species, with our hatreds and murders in the millions. What intelligent machine could love us?

However, in the time left before the killbots exterminate us, I'm enjoying the AI version of the female form, and they are easily discerned as no real woman could look so perfect. I look forward to the day they replace the real thing in movies, so perhaps things are looking up for the future.

• Haha 1

IMO I will not be able to discriminate between the two, except perhaps on patterns of discursiveness and brevity.

I can't see humans entrusting themselves to AI tools, such as driverless cars. Any more than I trust much of the information vouchsafed to me by politicians.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:42 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

It seems to me that we are entering a Brave New World in which we cannot even trust our own eyes.

Then how am I to believe that you actually wrote this? 

On 8/1/2023 at 6:22 AM, 2baht said:

Do You Need Help?

I think you need help GG, posting this irrelevant drivel day after day!

Actually  this is a very important issue. Phrase the most important facing humanity .  It's unfortunate that it might had been lost in an OP containing so much superfluous (see I can read the dictionary too LOL)information designed to show how intelligent the OP is or is not. 

But How do we know what is or is not true. And these are early times. 

So I was just reading this story a couple of days ago.:

Milla Sofia: The blonde Finnish influencer who "posted from Greece" is an AI creation "

https://greekcitytimes.com/2023/07/26/milla-sofia-the-blonde-influencer-who-posted-from-greece-is-an-ai-creation/?fbclid=IwAR3mEnCw7Ht7Fdtr3KJbtzUolczRJq8qqN4JqnuNmZEDX0QTmnvtosrWLto 

She has "7,000 followers on her verified X account (formerly Twitter) "

So How do you know what is true and what is not? 

Deep fake . do you know what it is?

There is software the can manipulate video and audio to make my likeness say and do whatever it  wants 

This is scary stuff.

If there was video available of me saying some things, how can I prove I did not say them, and how many people will see explanation or even believe it. 

I remember transisters when they were the size, more or less, of a peanut.

A couple of months ago I was reading up on the upgraded versian of the hearing aid that was given me by the Vetrans Administration.   It's about the size of a large cashew.   Inside are over 22 million transisters!

There must be a versian of AI in it. It is supposed to be able to determine what noise is background noise and what noise is the human speach (or what ever you are listening to I guess) you want to hear and turn down the background noise while isolating the human speach you want to hear. 

Edited by radiochaser

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 1:42 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

My Dearest Readers,

We are now living in what some might call a “New Age of Deception” driven by the very technology that we have loved and cherished during past decades. Texas Instruments offered up the first Integrated Circuit Board, itself a product of the transistor (Bell Laboratories), both of these fundamentally the result of Einstein’s thinking on the photoelectric effect and photoexcitation, topics covered in most high schools around the world, at least since the late 1960s. And now we see that the transistor has made possible the Rise of the Bot.

I asked my good friend Bard the other day, “Bard, My Friend, when you are thinking super hard, how many transistors do you use?”  And It replied, “I don’t use transistors; I am an LLM.” So, you see, even Bard doesn't know the facts of life.

It seems to me that we are entering a Brave New World in which we cannot even trust our own eyes. What we will see before us may increasingly become even more illusory than the status quo reality as we believe it to be now.

How will we know the origin of what we read or see? Will we just be slowly immersed in a new reality, within a reality?  Because, as it stands today, we already realize that the world we perceive is not reality, but rather an approximate interpretation of reality constructed by the mind filtering input from the five senses.

But as of this moment in time, what if anything can we do to discriminate Human-authored text from Machine-authored text?  And, if you are like me, then you will be interested in the best methods to differentiate between what is human and what is machine as you read whatever it is that you enjoy reading.

So what tools are now available to make our job easier as we try to guess what is human and what is machine?

Here is a short list of software that might work, but probably only halfway, and not all the time:

1. https://gptzero.me/

2. https://gowinston.ai/

3. https://www.turnitin.com/

Do you use other software that might work better as a good AI-text detector? Or, should we call this type of software AI-BS detectors?

All this AI stuff has hit the world far sooner than almost anyone thought it might. Certainly, back in the day, guys like Shockley could not have anticipated what might happen in the field of AI in 2023. We thought that the transistor would improve our world in other ways. I am still convinced that AI will be a boon to Mankind. And, certainly Bard has been a boon to me and my continuing evolution as one who enjoys learning.

Who is Shockley?

-p3PJhmp4F16HVJvnXZ99XlRJa7P75TOu4suQM7rG3sz0aGqkhXIqVS8GvqJ3UJr486e72y7uvW-9Adhze6MdogBlAeyKHqD4_MUT9lyc0pEvqpvsKwUc0F6ZRjLNxpxRwRkfkL6RDlyZvd7Sfteims

Lrdta99oiyHr83eGdNSgPw5HwIjEkVm4RTLQzXCyK4WWNacMfOGMDIn2VZ5wcVu-OvM49R0MLpdDBeDMgRdgwBLruf0sR6ZQ7L0wKXBZBj_1369FdeRwPnwrita6Vsy-r-ltO2sWV0H1wkK2vP_Lhw0

Above two images taken from:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

(Haha…Yes. You read it correctly concerning Shockley’s racist views held in his later life. (truly shocking!))  So then, Pure Science, I guess, is not always that pure, unless, in Shockley’s case, one is talking about “genetic purity”... Ewww!!!

Yet, Shockley was good with transistors!

Therefore, the Big Question:

1. Can you discriminate between AI-authored text and Human-authored text…with ease?

Or…

1. Do you think you might need to increasingly rely on computer software to uncover computer-software generated text?

Oh, such a conundrum...

Truly, as Churchill might have described it: "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"

Best regards,

Gamma

Please note: As to whether or not my OPs might contain any AI-authored Text, the answer is NO. (NO, and NEVER)

For one thing, after my many years of studying the Jabberwocky, no AI today in existence can match the level of my writing.

Secondly, I would find it boring to copy and paste AI-authored text to TV…Just too, too boring.

How to tell the difference between AI writing and human writing?

Human Writing: When humans write, they often infuse their content with creativity, emotions, and personal experiences. The thought process of a writer is inherently creative, drawing on a lifetime of experiences, emotions, and imagination. ...

AI Writing: In contrast, AI lacks consciousness and personal experiences.

Problem solved - Next question? :wai:

7 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

How to tell the difference between AI writing and human writing?

Human Writing: When humans write, they often infuse their content with creativity, emotions, and personal experiences. The thought process of a writer is inherently creative, drawing on a lifetime of experiences, emotions, and imagination. ...

AI Writing: In contrast, AI lacks consciousness and personal experiences.

Problem solved - Next question? :wai:

The problem is NOT solved. 

You have merely provided an answer to a question posed in a Topic on TV. 

The problem remains. 

• Love It 1

On 8/5/2023 at 1:59 PM, radiochaser said:

and turn down the background noise while isolating the human speach you want to hear. 

Or vice versa! 555

Isn't English silly. You SPEAK SPEECH.

Edited by KannikaP

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The problem is NOT solved. 

You have merely provided an answer to a question posed in a Topic on TV. 

The problem remains. 

If one cannot intelligently decipher the differences and determine origin on ones own then it becomes moot. If one can decipher the differences and determine the origin on ones own then there isn't a problem.

Since your OP was posed as a question seeking a solution and mine answered said question with a solution that involves a modicum of intelligence, one is left with the unchangeable level of interpretation passed on through genetics.

In smaller words, if you CAN tell, you don't need help and if you CAN'T tell, it really doesn't matter. Peace :wai:

Edited by mrwebb8825

On 9/2/2023 at 6:50 AM, KannikaP said:

Or vice versa! 555

Isn't English silly. You SPEAK SPEECH.

Ah so.   Right you are.    

Here, let me present you with token of responsibility.   It is what I used to show, when I was on facebook. 

Now excuse me while I go slap my opera dictionary for not catching that. 

Police - Grammar - To Correct and Serve.jpg

Edited by radiochaser

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

Ah so.   Right you are.    

Here, let me present you with token of responsibility.   It is what I used to show, when I was on facebook. 

Now excuse me while I go slap my opera dictionary for not catching that. 

Police - Grammar - To Correct and Serve.jpg

Thanks so much, I always wanted something to allow me to do my gramatical  and spelling duty.

Now I have this, I shall reprimand everyone who uses there, their, they're and your, youre incorrectly. Cheers.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:47 PM, KannikaP said:

Thanks so much, I always wanted something to allow me to do my gramatical  and spelling duty.

Now I have this, I shall reprimand everyone who uses there, their, they're and your, youre incorrectly. Cheers.

gramatical ... ?

Ur welcum.