Bangkok Named Third World's Best City

george

Bangkok named third World's Best City

Bangkok is ranked the third World's Best City, according to Travel + Leisure Magazine's readers' survey for the year 2007.

It is after Florence in Italy which has held the No.1 position for two consecutive years and Buenos Aires in Argentina which this year enjoys the highest ranking ever.

Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards 2007 also went to Oberoi Udaivilas as the World's Best Hotel-the first time a hotel in India has won the top prize, as well as SeaDream Yacht Club as top Small-Ship Cruise Line. Ranked No. 2 among international airlines, MaxJet makes its debut on the World's Best Awards list.

Among the winners, Singapore Airlines was voted the world's best international airline, The Peninsula Bangkok as the world's best hotel for $250 or less, and Four Seasons Resort in Chiang Mai as the world's best hotel spas in Asia Pacific.

The Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards 2007 winners will be honoured at an awards ceremony at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York City on July 23.

- The Nation 2007-07-11

Is that the Third Worlds best city, or the third best city in the world?

Hi

Yup, world's third best city. Banner headline writer could do with grammar lessons

Could hardly call Florence third world!

TBWG :o

I bet they are all secret members of the "World Association of Pimps"(WAP)

How did they come up with this one, the panel must have been a bunch of dirty old men

Here's the information that wasn't provided in the story;

- Travel & Leisure is owned by American Express Publishing, part of the American Express Corp.

- Methodology: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2007/info.cfm

Key information: "Travel + Leisure subscribers were asked to enter their complete name (as it appears on their mailing label), as well as their five-digit ZIP code, at tlworldsbest.com before completing the survey. Only those responses from subscribers whose personal information entered at tlworldsbest.com exactly matched Travel + Leisure's subscriber file were counted in the final tally." (Conclusion: Only USA based respondents qualified.)

- responses from any identified travel-industry professionals who completed the survey were eliminated

-Criteria For cities: sights, culture/arts, restaurants/food, people, shopping, value.

As per the audit bureau of circulation Parts 6A & 6B (these are the parts that provide true circulation numbers) Source: http://www.tlmediakit.com/ABC_Dec06.pdf

Verified Subscription Public Place - 33,789

Verified Subscription Private Single Use - 32,988

Question: Of these approx. 67,000 subscribers, how many of them have actually visited the cities in question and of those, how many participated in the survey?

I believe that the survey is unreliable as a general indicator because the survey was both biased (statistically) in the selection criteria and in the sample size. I think it would have been more honest to report something along the lines of 200 American subscribers of Travel & Leisure selected XXX city as their XXX favourite.

Why was it so hard for the Nation's writer to take 10 minutes and check the facts and basis for the story? Is this typical of the Nation's ethics in reporting and its quality of journalism?

Edited by geriatrickid

Here's the information that wasn't provided in the story;

- Travel & Leisure is owned by American Express Publishing, part of the American Express Corp.

- Methodology: http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2007/info.cfm

Key information: "Travel + Leisure subscribers were asked to enter their complete name (as it appears on their mailing label), as well as their five-digit ZIP code, at tlworldsbest.com before completing the survey. Only those responses from subscribers whose personal information entered at tlworldsbest.com exactly matched Travel + Leisure's subscriber file were counted in the final tally." (Conclusion: Only USA based respondents qualified.)

- responses from any identified travel-industry professionals who completed the survey were eliminated

-Criteria For cities: sights, culture/arts, restaurants/food, people, shopping, value.

As per the audit bureau of circulation Parts 6A & 6B (these are the parts that provide true circulation numbers) Source: http://www.tlmediakit.com/ABC_Dec06.pdf

Verified Subscription Public Place - 33,789

Verified Subscription Private Single Use - 32,988

Question: Of these approx. 67,000 subscribers, how many of them have actually visited the cities in question and of those, how many participated in the survey?

I believe that the survey is unreliable as a general indicator because the survey was both biased (statistically) in the selection criteria and in the sample size. I think it would have been more honest to report something along the lines of 200 American subscribers of Travel & Leisure selected XXX city as their XXX favourite.

Why was it so hard for the Nation's writer to take 10 minutes and check the facts and basis for the story? Is this typical of the Nation's ethics in reporting and its quality of journalism?

JR Texas: Hopefully a HUGE MISTAKE was made......Bangkok is one of the world's worst cities.......total cesspool.......very unhealthy, overcrowded, extreme traffic jams, smells like crap, hot and humid beyond belief, have to get there by flying into a crap airport in a swamp.......you could not pay me enough money to even think about living there.

This thread should be merged with the thread in general topics.

Yes, I think it does reflect the level of reporting that we are seeing in both English language dailies at the present time. Now all the Thais can clap themselves on the back because their capital is seen by the world as the world's 3rd best.

I live in BKK when I'm not doing my work in Taiwan, and all I'm thinking about is getting out of the place.

Thanks for your post, geriatrickid.

I am not absolutely certain that international subscribers were excluded from the survey - subscribers can log in to the t & l site with zip or postal code. However, there would still quite possibly be a largely US-based population responding.

Also, not only "The Nation" is guilty of sloppy reporting on this one. The survey results were widely reported in the major Australian newspapers (some quite widely well regarded) without the qualifications you mention ( & probably elsewhere, too.)One paper described the survey as "respected", because it disqualifies travel industry members.

Anyway, it's be interesting to know exactly what produced the result for BKK.

I wonder what results we'd get from a poll on this forum, using the same "top 10 cities" ?

The T&L rankings are just a luxury magazine's way of selling mags on the news stand. It is common for many magazines to have rankings of something relating to their subject matter. The T&L rankings and the Conde Nast rankings ARE big deals in the travel industry.

As an FYI, this is not a new award for BKK from T&L. It has consistently been ranked in the Top Five for many years. Also, Chiang Mai is often ranked in the Top Five as well. Thailand and Italy are the only two countries with two cities consistently in the Top Ten. The Penisula, The Oriental BKK, and Four Seasons-CM also do very well each year in the rankings for this magazine.

Conde Nast and Frommer's also rate Thailand cities and luxury hotels very highly in their surveys. Frommer's has named Chiang Mai as the best value city in the world for travelers. Many industry experts consider Four Seasons CM as one of the Top Five hotels in the world, and many others include The Penisula and Oriental BKK in the Top Ten as well. There are a number of other Thailand luxury properties that also make the rankings.

Believe it or not, Thailand is one of the world's top travel destinations, has been for many years, and remains so for a number of reasons. Strange that members of this board would find that so astonishing, or wonder what foreigners could possibly see in BKK that would make them rank it as one of the world's top destination cities for travellers. Geesh.

Edited by peteinCM

Anyway who has lived in BKK would find it stange for the city to be listed as one of the world's top cities. I could only see someone who has come here for a holiday rating it so highly.

The nuts and bolts of living here if you are not loaded is not pleasant. It used to have a good nightlife, but that went by the wayside years ago. Also, with the large amount of inflation over the past decade it is no longer nearly as inexpensive as it used to be. Only someone who is used to a much more expensive economy would find BKK to be a cheap anymore.

They must not have asked anyone who has lived here.

Edited by vermin on arrival

Believe it or not, Thailand is one of the world's top travel destinations, has been for many years, and remains so for a number of reasons. Strange that members of this board would find that so astonishing

Don't think anyone is or would be astonished by that ( anyone ??) ...

or wonder what foreigners could possibly see in BKK that would make them rank it as one of the world's top destination cities for travellers. Geesh.

To me, it's strange to see BKK ranked 3rd in the world, above innumerable other cities, including Rome. Go figure ...

Believe it or not, Thailand is one of the world's top travel destinations, has been for many years, and remains so for a number of reasons. Strange that members of this board would find that so astonishing

Don't think anyone is or would be astonished by that ( anyone ??) ...

or wonder what foreigners could possibly see in BKK that would make them rank it as one of the world's top destination cities for travellers. Geesh.

To me, it's strange to see BKK ranked 3rd in the world, above innumerable other cities, including Rome. Go figure ...

all the people who voted cant get out much ,or is it written wrong and should be 3rd world city :o

waiwai's point is valid. I should amend that my post include or otherwise state it reflects the ethos of newspapers worldwide that rely on wire services for cheap copy filler

The 5 criteria used skew the results for all of the city answers.

No denying that BKK has a lot of positives in the 5 criteria, especially some great hotels. I think the survey is just used as part of AMerican Express's overall sales strategy to get some cheap media atention for its magazines and to sell services from its family of companies.

BTW I too am biased. I dislike BKK, Rome and a lot of other big cities. Prefer smaller areas with less hustle & bustle like Chiang Mai.

Thailand hotel scoops top award

12th July 2007

28662.0.0.423.286.300.200.jpg

The unique 37-story, wave-shaped Peninsula Bangkok

A Thailand hotel has won the award for the world's best hotel for $250 or less, in a poll of readers of America's Travel and Leisure magazine.

The unique 37-story, wave-shaped Peninsula Bangkok topped the prestigious Travel and Leisure World's Best Awards 2007 readers' survey.

999Network

these are the people who voted the city up there , doubt they have seen much of it ......................................

hello all,

well, for the people who dont live here, how do you know, what bangkok ist all about??? For the people who live here, and dont have to live here and dont like it, just dont be here, if you think its such a crappy place.

I myself, live here for 7 years and am still amazed about the diversity and the surprises this city offers me day by day. Bangkok may not be the most beautiful cities in the world ( appearance), but without a doubt, one of the most relaxed metropols in the world.

The way I understood the article, it wasnt about prettieness, but leisure and lifestyle.

By the way I am not a dirty old geezer, but a 30 old journalist who has had the privelege to travel a lot in my short life.

so, embrace bangkok the way it is, with all the, agreeable negative sides and you might find a hidden jewel still.

best regards

Timo

Is that the Third Worlds best city, or the third best city in the world?

Either way...........we've got the bronze!! :o

:D Bronze it is.

Must be grammar error, #1 Third World City.

Even that should cause some amazement (Unless Thaksin bought the mags. business).

hello all,

well, for the people who dont live here, how do you know, what bangkok ist all about??? For the people who live here, and dont have to live here and dont like it, just dont be here, if you think its such a crappy place.

I myself, live here for 7 years and am still amazed about the diversity and the surprises this city offers me day by day. Bangkok may not be the most beautiful cities in the world ( appearance), but without a doubt, one of the most relaxed metropols in the world.

The way I understood the article, it wasnt about prettieness, but leisure and lifestyle.

By the way I am not a dirty old geezer, but a 30 old journalist who has had the privelege to travel a lot in my short life.

so, embrace bangkok the way it is, with all the, agreeable negative sides and you might find a hidden jewel still.

best regards

Timo

Another 'if you don't like it leave'-post!

C'mon Timo, what's wrong with you.

You sound like you could work for the MOE or Thai immigration.

For me, Bkk is filthy, poluted, congested, too busy and too big. There's not enough parks, pedestrian zones, planning, decency, ect.. But I live here, I work here, I am happy here.

Should I leave Timo? Should someone who's critical leave?

KireB,

you might have misunderstood me, the post was not meant to be a, as you call it ( if you dont like it l,eave it post) Nor am against critical posts. But it seems the other way arround. If someone actually likes Bangkok, people believe they are am crazy.

I wish Immigration People would argue, the way I did about their City, instead they dont seem to like foreigners who like their city or country, that much anymore.

I agree that their are too few parks, but about the pollution. Bangkok is the only city in South and South-East Asia which has improved their ait quality within the last 10 years.

Nevertheless, everyone has their opinion, and thats good.

I like Bangkok and am happy here, you are just happy here.

Works fine for the both of us.

best regards

Timo

KireB,

you might have misunderstood me, the post was not meant to be a, as you call it ( if you dont like it l,eave it post) Nor am against critical posts. But it seems the other way arround. If someone actually likes Bangkok, people believe they are am crazy.

I wish Immigration People would argue, the way I did about their City, instead they dont seem to like foreigners who like their city or country, that much anymore.

I agree that their are too few parks, but about the pollution. Bangkok is the only city in South and South-East Asia which has improved their ait quality within the last 10 years.

Nevertheless, everyone has their opinion, and thats good.

I like Bangkok and am happy here, you are just happy here.

Works fine for the both of us.

best regards

Timo

I shouldn't post before I have had my coffee!

Cheers

The only redeeming factor I see in this whole topic is that the awards will be presented in New York, too bad the voters and the receipents dont have to go where the winners are, but New York will do, due to the life style,leisure activities, sight seeing,traffic,muggings etc. Next year hold the awards in Salt Lake City and see what happens the following year in the vote.

Well, I am from Buenos Aires (which seems this year is the first one) but now I am living in BKK (which seems this year is the third one) and I can compare both cities maybe and tell what good things can make BKK the third best city this year. First, BKK has a lot of department stores, really huge ones and it's full of them, so if you have to go out to watch a movie or to have dinner, just hang out or go shopping you have many places too choose. Maybe other positive thing can be that you have public transportation to go anywhere you want (maybe it's not cheap but well, I think it's ok). Its a very cultural city (in some places only, but it's ok if you want to travel around you have some places to go). Yes, there is a lot of pollution here, but well, that is something that will happen to every city in not a distant future I guess. I don't know about the hotels cuz I stay in a house but seems they are good. There are shops everywhere, and even if some smell really bad, you can't deny they are convinient if you have to buy something in a rush. I don't know too much about the night life here in BKK yet but seems a lot of people have really fun on the weekends. So well I enjoy being here in BKK, usually the traffic is awful but just take it easy and just get up a little early or go to the place you need to go with more time.

Well that was my opinion, I love both Buenos Aires and BKK and I think the choice was well made. Thanks for reading. Bye Bye

Leon

I avoid BKK when I can. Last time I was there I felt like I might die waiting for a bus. When my bus number finally arrived, it wouldn't let me on - I had to almost fight my way in. I wound up taking cabs after that - unless the cabs didn't like the address I gave them, and drove right off without me. I had a farang friend who moved from BKK, even though he had a good-paying job there. Why? He said every evening he'd get home to his apartment and would have to wash black grime off his face. I'll leave BKK to Bangkokians and visitors. There are myriad other places I'd rather be.