Silly pronoun use ... IMHO

KhunLA

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It's about controlling the language. Once you accept these terms, they'll create more and try to force them on you. It will never be enough. The over-reach will never end. 

Same as we used to have to say coloured people. Now, that's incredibly offensive. We have to say people of colour which apparently is fine. Once we all get used to that, they'll move the goalposts again and force us to use another term. 

It's about keeping us on our toes. They say jump, we say how high. If we object, we will be labeled fascists and be forced to defend ourselves against that accusation, taking our attention away from the debate at hand. Control the language, control the masses.

image.png.8ad8975ae68aeae213a52d1542423c50.png

Indeed.

language and thought are interrelated.  If wokeists can control what you say, they can influence what you think.  If they can force you to call a man a woman, then they are forcing that thought to exist in your head.

These wokeists, postmodernists, trans activists, etc., believe that language creates reality, and that by control what people say they can shape the world the way they want it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I could care less and wonder why does anyone else. 

You clearly care a lot about this topic.  You want this to happen, so of course it doesn't bother you.

Don't pretend like you're just some random person who doesn't see what the fuss is about.  You've made your stance very clear on many different threads, including this one.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Translation: Right wingers want to be able to spout willful ignorance, hatred and bigotry and be guaranteed to never face any consequences for any of their speech.

Translation: "I don't like what you are saying and I don't believe you should be allowed to say it, so I'm going to apply a negative label to you and pretend that you're not being honest and simply making an observation about something you see as a negative thing worthy of criticism.  And I can't address what you have actually said, so I will attack your credibility in an ad hominem argument."

• Thanks 2

Actually, this is a very interesting topic because pronoun choice has been gradually changing during recent decades, and this has been much discussed by various Linguistic researchers and profs.

He is faster than I.

He is faster than me.

(Personally, I prefer the first of the above two examples.)

This is not such a simple topic....

But a very good one.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that..... the correct form, "I am older than she" vs "I am older than her", sounds very awkward and even STILTED to most ears...these days.

However, sometimes if you listen to Oxford University lecturers, you will still hear proper usage of pronouns.

Or...If you listen to me speak, then...I sometimes refuse to give in by saying... I am older than her.  I just cannot due it...It's like fingernails against the blackboard to my ears.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

The problem is: these sniveling little maniacs are telling people how to speak the English language. Like, seriously, how dare they?

Language changes take time, you can't shove it down people's throats.

That's not the solution to everything, unfortunately.

You get to choose your own name, but you don't get to introduce countless new pronouns to the English language and then force everyone to use them.

The funny/ironic thing is that the user you are replying to supports this forced pronoun stuff, while violently opposing the new meaning of the word "woke", which has changed very organically.

I think there is an ugly thing in the air these days.

It coincides with the rise of illiberal and fascist politicians in many countries.

Scapegoating and demonization of sexual minorities.

It leads to violence, murders, and suicides.

Make different people's lives miserable.

Now that's perverted.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Define woke.

In this context it’s the Alphabet Nazi’s. Including the other contexts it’s the They Don’t Think as We Do nazi’s 

Edited by novacova

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think there is an ugly thing in the air these days.

It coincides with the rise of illiberal and fascist politicians in many countries.

It leads to violence, murders, and suicides.

Make different people's lives miserable.

Now that's perverted.

Just gotta let them have their run, hopefully it fizzles out soon…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In other words people you don’t like.

No, my words are clear, it’s the people they don’t like. It’s written all throughout the forum in case anyone hasn’t noticed ????

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

And who would have expected it would come from the "liberal" side?

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually, it's the people saying "please stop inflicting this upon us" who are the ones being scapegoated and demonised.

I recall that a friend of mine once wrote this about pronouns and pizza:

image.png.67c4b25f8c7597f038698a3d185469f3.png

The above image was taken from JSTOR, but anyone can go to this website to read the entire essay:  http://www.jochnowitz.net/Essays/EverybodyLikesPizza.html

Hope this helps to clarify pronoun choice and the changing face of grammar, these days.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In other words people you don’t like.

So, people complain about something being inflicted upon them, clearly state who is doing it, why they don't like what these people are doing, along with what they suspect are the motivations behind it are, and the best you can come up with is pretending that they simply don't like the people?  That's your best rebuttal?

Do you think people can't see anything else that is being said?

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I recall that a friend of mine once wrote this about pronouns and pizza:

image.png.67c4b25f8c7597f038698a3d185469f3.png

The above image was taken from JSTOR, but anyone can go to this website to read the entire essay:  http://www.jochnowitz.net/Essays/EverybodyLikesPizza.html

Hope this helps to clarify pronoun choice and the changing face of grammar, these days.

My gf hates pizza. I like it but mainly seafood pizza.

What I'm seeing here is people using woke as an attack word just like fascist politician DeSantis. The emphasis is attacking sexual and racial minorities. There was an original definition of woke that is quite nice, but that has been completely perverted.

2 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

spacer.png

Here is the person from the OP.  If I hadn't been told differently, I'd say that they's a she.  Of course, in Thailand there are a lot of he's that look like she's!

Snakeskin boots! That's surely not very PC. 

13 minutes ago, bignok said:

My gf hates pizza. I like it but mainly seafood pizza.

The longer I live, the more obvious it becomes to me that tastes in both pizza and grammar are changing.

I prefer Old School grammar, in every case.

But some prefer new toppings, such as pineapple, which disgusts me.

And so it is with grammar, I guess.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What I'm seeing here is people using woke as an attack word just like fascist politician DeSantis. The emphasis is attacking sexual and racial minorities. There was an original definition of woke that is quite nice, but that has been completely perverted.

You attack desantis with the word fascist. It's your attack word.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The longer I live, the more obvious it becomes to me that tastes in both pizza and grammar are changing.

I prefer Old School grammar, in every case.

But some prefer new toppings, such as pineapple, which disgusts me.

And so it is with grammar, I guess.

Seafood including anchovies is the business.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

You attack desantis with the word fascist. It's your attack word.

It's the truth. 

Ron DeSantis 'Will Destroy Our Democracy,' Says Fascism Expert (newsweek.com)

Er - that article actually says of the 'Fascism expert': "While not directly describing DeSantis as a fascist ..."

If he's really a fascist, why doesn't the expert just say that?

• Thanks 1