Discrimination Outrage At Bangkok Airport!

Weho

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WeHo - just remember that every day that we were building Suvarnabhumi Airport we had pork for lunch - thousands of us (20 baht for the main meal - you wou;ld have been impressed).

And all the bits and pieces that were left over for teeth-picking, spitting and other Thai construction worker habits are now incorporated in the concrete - even in the prayer room.

So <deleted> 'em!

JR Texas: There are thousands of religions..........do we decide to favor one or all of them? Or perhaps none? Maybe it would be better, for those who embrace emotion/mysticism over reason/science, to have one large room for all. But, the problem would be obvious........one side would be screaming at the other side.

Personally, I am looking forward to the day when the human species evolves beyond emotion/mysticism and recognizes that we are nothing but organized star stuff existing on an insignificant planet in an immense and astonishing universe that is guided by scientific principles (some known and some not yet known).

But the heathen bars at the airport ARE open to all... and trust me, I've seen plenty of faux muslim beer drinkers... of course not in their own countries, but when they travel, they seem to forget their religion... i wonder why... could it be because they are... HUMAN???

Well, i couldn't resist... i did something naughty in my hotel room a few minutes ago... i'm in Penang... i climbed on top of the desk, and I peeled off the sticker pointing to Mecca for prayer, and I turned it 180 degrees, pointing the opposite direction. For all I know, someone already did it, and maybe I put it in the correct direction... but regardless, if their religion is real, it shouldn't really matter. of course all religions have some wacky things... like fish on Friday, or not using elevators on weekends...

I'm still stewing about the airport nicotine rooms I've now realized I've been subsidizing... and the special air ventilation systems required... I'm not happy about this. I pay the same airport fees as nicotine fiends... honestly, since nicotine IS a drug, and they are drug addicts, if they can't keep away from their addiciton for a few hours, they are unfit to travel on a public conveyence.

I was once on an Air Canada flight, nonsmoking flight, where one of the restrooms was used as a smoking room at least 50 times during the flight... I reported this to the stewardi (that's plural for stewardess, a sexist term), but they didn't seem all that interested.

5. and to the person who felt the muslim prayer room didn't increase the airport fees, you have made probably the all time dumbest remark ever posted anywhere on the internet. congratulations. if that room costs the airport nothing, why not have a bunch of first class lounges, open to all, at no charge? puh-leese. you failed to understand the point that we ALL pay the same airport fee, yet some people are giving additional areas for their own private personal reasons.

I did not say it costs nothing. I said the airport fee would be no different. There's a big difference. To think that they would knock of some baht or satang with or without it just makes no sense. They pick a round number for the fee based on the expected passenger flow, revenue, and operating costs.

Whatever you put in the spot, including a revenue generating location, or a closet, it's not a big enough change to move the fee.

6. yes, different cultures make travel more interesting, but should I be made/forced to subsidize things for others, like paying for muslim prayer rooms, when there are no other prayer rooms, or "reflection rooms", for non-believers/heathens like me?

Thailand is made up predominately of Buddhists and Muslims. There is a section for monks, and a prayer room for Muslims.

There is a section for non believers and heathens, and it charges an arm and a leg for a small Singha.

That's why I love your posts so much cdnvic....They are always so true, and often make me laugh loudly...almost pissing my pants....Keep them coming !

I'm almost speechless at the intolerance and ignorance of some people. Your world is a very small place...considering that a sixth of the world's entire population practice this religion, you act as though everyone should share your "hate and intolerance" towards people who have faith in something beyond your narrow scope. The need for strict observers of the Muslim faith to pray 5 times a day and face the direction of what they consider the holiest place on earth, might have something to do with the need for a room where they can do this without creating a scene...airports being busy places, the scene of hundreds of people bowing down would cause havoc with walking around them all and people stopping to stare in fascination. People that display your level of "hate and intolerance" are the reason this world is in trouble...muslims get all the flack because a very small percentage of the religion have branched off in the name of the same prophet, but predominantly the Muslim faith abhor the terrorism. Out of a billion people the small percentage of one's who get all the attention are on the news every day killing people and have become the representatives of this faith.

I don't practice any religion myself, but who are we to judge what others hold sacred.

But what I object to most is that we are ALL FORCED to pay for this room, and many of us have no possibility of using it.

No one is FORCED to pay for this room. No one forced you to use the airport. Buying a ticket and travelling somewhere was your free choice. When you bought your ticket / used the airport, you accept their decisions and their policies.

Why not stop using the services if their practices offend you so deeply?

I think the special rooms are a great idea. Not a bad idea to wire tap them either. And, yes, I am saying Muslim fundamentalists are the most likely group to be terrorists, because thats a fact, isn't it?

From the mouth of babes! :o

I was recently at Bangkok's new airport, and I noticed the sign "Muslim Prayer Room"... I find this discriminatory. We ALL pay the same price for airport fees, regardless of what our religion is, or if we don't choose to have a religion... YET one particular religion gets their own private rooms at Bangkok airport... (yes, I'm aware other airports have similar discrimination).

I look at this kind of room like a first class lounge, where one would pay a fee or have a membership to enter. That is, it's only open to those that pay for it... yet we ALL pay the same airport fees, and ONLY one religion gets their own private room for prayer/reflection at the airports. THis is so wrong on so many levels.

I don't mean to single out the muslim faith... I have equal distain for all religions, but that's just me... if there is a demand for a particular religion to have their own room, like there is a demand for a first class lounge, by all means, PROVIDE IT, but CHARGE those that use it separately, rather than make ALL of us pay.

I don't see any "Christian only prayer room", or "Only Jewish prayer room", or "Scientologists ONLY reflection room"... why is one religion given special treatment, at the expense of EVERYONE, even NON-believers?

There should be ONE room, and ONE ROOM ONLY, that is labeled something like "Reflection Room", open to all, where all are made to feel comfortable in entering.

If you label a room "Muslim Prayer Room", it's the same thing as saying "No Christians allowed", or "No Jews need enter", or "Get Out Tom Cruise and you wacko Scientologists". It's just wrong.

And it fosters hate and intolerance.

But what I object to most is that we are ALL FORCED to pay for this room, and many of us have no possibility of using it.

There should either be an entrance fee for those that want to use the room, just like a lounge, OR it should be open and labeled for all to use, including non-believers. Yes, even heathens pay the same airport taxes.

I have seen in some airports where Muslim people will do their prayers out in the open, in the airport concourse... I'm fine with this... if you don't like it, don't look... but to single out one religion for special rights, and not others, and not non-believers, it's just wrong.

Get a Gulfstream 550 and land at the VIP terminal. Or, build your own public airport. Or, keep on winging.

I was recently at Bangkok's new airport, and I noticed the sign "Muslim Prayer Room

Somehow, I don't remember that "Muslim".

I thought it says "Prayer Room".

Can somebody second it? Or I have mixed many other airports that have just that - "Prayer Room" with BKK airport?

Whilst not wishing to get involved with religious/racial arguments etc, but I must admit I have often wondered why a "Prayer Room" should be allowed to be misused as a doss house !

All I have seen on my walks past the sacred room is bodies crashed out sleeping, now surely isnt that abuse of a religious privilege ??

WeHo, you're losing your touch. This is one of your poorer efforts. Six out of ten.

I'm so sorry that you were bored. Maybe you could post something interesting, you know, to show the rest of us how it's supposed to be done. We'll look to you as a role model.

Far from bored, Weho. It's just we expect more subtle trolling from you and this is a below average effort. It's not your fault; you can't keep up such high standards at all times.

But, you are bloody good at it. Look at how you've drawn the xenophobic rats out of their lairs. Wiretapping the prayer room indeed. What a classic.

:o

Edited by bendix

I was recently at Bangkok's new airport, and I noticed the sign "Muslim Prayer Room

Can somebody second it? Or I have mixed many other airports that have just that - "Prayer Room" with BKK airport?

It most definitely says "Muslim Prayer Room". It's something that bothered a bit me since the airport first opened, though I haven't commented on it before for not wanting to cause a controversy. Being the subject has been brought up though, I suppose I should voice my opinion. I do agree that it should be just a "prayer" or "reflection" room and not specifically a "Muslim" room. For the first few months, I never saw a single soul inside those rooms. Now I see lots of people in there, but none of them praying. It is simply used as a sleeping room. So it's entire purpose is being abused. I think though the thing that most upset me was the signage at the airport. Everywhere I looked, the big signs that tell you where the arrivals, departures, transportation, etc. have indicators for the Muslim Prayer Room. There are maybe only five or so items on these signs but yet with such limited number of slots they devote one to this prayer room, whereas they leave off restrooms, restaurants, taxis, etc on many of them. Nearly everyone at the airport needs to know where restrooms, restaurants, and taxis are, yet the idiots designing the signage somehow thought that the Muslim Prayer Room was the most significant thing to put on the signage. I think that fact, and the fact that it is called a "Muslim" prayer room do indeed point to discrimination by AoT and totally agree that it would be better if it was eliminiated. It is however quite a minor issue with me and I don't really let it bother me much, being Thailand is not a PC country and a great deal of religious discrimination goes on. I do realize that there are a significant number of Muslims in Thailand, but for what little usage the rooms get for their intended purpose, I think eliminating them from where they are and maybe putting some rooms outside the terminal or in a less conspicuous place would be better. The strange thing to me is that the rooms are completely windowed, allowing everyone to see in. Why the need to make a separate room but yet make it so conspicuous? An open area where they could pray would work just as well if they're going to do it that way.

Just to pour oil on the fire - has anyone noticed that the Tesco-Lotus supermarket chain (British franchise) also has muslim prayer rooms (near the toilets) at least here in Phuket?

I can't see why that is surprising, considering the large muslim community in that area.

And, please do not pour oil on the fire forum rules

totster :o

It most definitely says "Muslim Prayer Room".

Yes, it does......just found it. I mixed BKK with NRT and HKG where it says "Prayer Room".

post-7277-1184210686_thumb.jpg

The strange thing to me is that the rooms are completely windowed, allowing everyone to see in. Why the need to make a separate room but yet make it so conspicuous? An open area where they could pray would work just as well if they're going to do it that way.

Just remembered, in HKG, they pray in open, no room nearby, near the Emirates check in.

I'm almost speechless at the intolerance and ignorance of some people. Your world is a very small place...considering that a sixth of the world's entire population practice this religion, you act as though everyone should share your "hate and intolerance" towards people who have faith in something beyond your narrow scope. The need for strict observers of the Muslim faith to pray 5 times a day and face the direction of what they consider the holiest place on earth, might have something to do with the need for a room where they can do this without creating a scene...airports being busy places, the scene of hundreds of people bowing down would cause havoc with walking around them all and people stopping to stare in fascination. People that display your level of "hate and intolerance" are the reason this world is in trouble...muslims get all the flack because a very small percentage of the religion have branched off in the name of the same prophet, but predominantly the Muslim faith abhor the terrorism. Out of a billion people the small percentage of one's who get all the attention are on the news every day killing people and have become the representatives of this faith.

I don't practice any religion myself, but who are we to judge what others hold sacred.

Speechless, are you?

Yes, Islam is a very fast growing religion.

True, it is only a small percentage of Muslims carrying out terrorists violence.

Also true, the terrorists in today's world are mostly Muslims.

Also true, a disturbingly large percentage of Muslims SUPPORT murdering innocent civilians.

For example, 25 percent of Pakistanis are supportive of suicide bombings often or sometimes. Does that sound like a tiny minority to you?

You can be all politically correct and sensitive, but sorry, this is a problem, and acting all We are the World about it, doesn't make the problem go away.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/26/where-terro...he-muslim-world

BTW, as I said before, I support the special rooms and don't care what it costs. Like Weho, I don't think much of any religion, but people have the right to be religious zealots, they cannot be denied.

Edited by Jingthing

Along the same lines...

Emirates take away a few seats to enable them to provide a prayer area for muslims. Thus increasing the airfare for everyone flying

on that plane. Now wether you're paying an extra £30 or 1p is not the point. It's the 'special' treatment Muslims get that upsets most people.

It's not just the special treatment, it's the tip-toeing around the subject and the kid gloves everyone has to use when discussing this. Recent events in Denmark with the cartoons, in the US, with the imams praying on the plane that caused the disruption and their removal from the plane, and subsequent lawsuits, and public discourse...any criticisms are not allowed or tolerated, unlike other religions, which we are free to discuss without fear of retributions..uh, in fact, I will now close my comments.

Along the same lines...

Emirates take away a few seats to enable them to provide a prayer area for muslims. Thus increasing the airfare for everyone flying

on that plane. Now wether you're paying an extra £30 or 1p is not the point. It's the 'special' treatment Muslims get that upsets most people.

It's not just the special treatment, it's the tip-toeing around the subject and the kid gloves everyone has to use when discussing this. Recent events in Denmark with the cartoons, in the US, with the imams praying on the plane that caused the disruption and their removal from the plane, and subsequent lawsuits, and public discourse...any criticisms are not allowed or tolerated, unlike other religions, which we are free to discuss without fear of retributions..uh, in fact, I will now close my comments.

Looks like Australians have had enough of fearing retributions....no more tiptoeing around ...

The Sydney Morning Herald published this caricature, I think they would not have done it 2-3 years ago:

post-7277-1184214870_thumb.jpg

Recent events in Denmark with the cartoons, in the US, with the imams praying on the plane that caused the disruption and their removal from the plane, and subsequent lawsuits, and public discourse...any criticisms are not allowed or tolerated, unlike other religions, which we are free to discuss without fear of retributions..uh, in fact, I will now close my comments.

And what about the case of the British awarding a knighthood to a British citizen (Salman Rushdie) only to be warned of impending death and destruction from non other then the 2IC of Al Queda.

Seems to me that these Muslims are getting WAY too big for their boots !!!!

Penkoprod

I was recently at Bangkok's new airport, and I noticed the sign "Muslim Prayer Room"... I find this discriminatory. We ALL pay the same price for airport fees, regardless of what our religion is, or if we don't choose to have a religion... YET one particular religion gets their own private rooms at Bangkok airport... (yes, I'm aware other airports have similar discrimination).

I look at this kind of room like a first class lounge, where one would pay a fee or have a membership to enter. That is, it's only open to those that pay for it... yet we ALL pay the same airport fees, and ONLY one religion gets their own private room for prayer/reflection at the airports. THis is so wrong on so many levels.

I don't mean to single out the muslim faith... I have equal distain for all religions, but that's just me... if there is a demand for a particular religion to have their own room, like there is a demand for a first class lounge, by all means, PROVIDE IT, but CHARGE those that use it separately, rather than make ALL of us pay.

I don't see any "Christian only prayer room", or "Only Jewish prayer room", or "Scientologists ONLY reflection room"... why is one religion given special treatment, at the expense of EVERYONE, even NON-believers?

There should be ONE room, and ONE ROOM ONLY, that is labeled something like "Reflection Room", open to all, where all are made to feel comfortable in entering.

If you label a room "Muslim Prayer Room", it's the same thing as saying "No Christians allowed", or "No Jews need enter", or "Get Out Tom Cruise and you wacko Scientologists". It's just wrong.

And it fosters hate and intolerance.

There should either be an entrance fee for those that want to use the room, just like a lounge, OR it should be open and labeled for all to use, including non-believers. Yes, even heathens pay the same airport taxes.

I have seen in some airports where Muslim people will do their prayers out in the open, in the airport concourse... I'm fine with this... if you don't like it, don't look... but to single out one religion for special rights, and not others, and not non-believers, it's just wrong.

For once I actually agree with Weho.

There has been many discussion in Europe over moslims wanting to have moskes there. My opinion is - sure, as long as you can have churches in moslim countries.

Guys,

Posts that are disrespectful to muslim people and their beliefs are not welcome. Anyone continuing on this path will be warned and suspended.

There is no need for us to follow the lead of a small minority of fanatical Muslims, whose only aim it is to drive wedge between the good natured majority of muslim people and the rest of the world.

Thankyou

totster :o

No one is FORCED to pay for this room. No one forced you to use the airport. Buying a ticket and travelling somewhere was your free choice. When you bought your ticket / used the airport, you accept their decisions and their policies.

Why not stop using the services if their practices offend you so deeply?

You are mostly correct that I did accept the airport/conditions when I bought the ticket.... However, you miss the point about my desire to END discrimination. I trust you acknowledge that it IS discriminatory. And I never suggested I was "SOOOOoooo deeply" offended about being forced to pay for this so-called "muslim prayer room", any more than I am offended about paying for a room for nicotine drug addicts at the airport. I am equally offended. I am also offended that you don't comprehend the concept of discrimination, and being forced to pay for things you are not allowed to use.