Opinion Editorial: No, It Isn’t Time to Worry About RETIREMENT VISA Changes….Yet

webfact

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Quick update, went to see my Agent yesterday & they’ve told me I need to meet them at Jomtien Immigration today (Office was closed yesterday) to have my photo taken so it does look like they’re tightening up the rules around attending in person this year.

Would be interesting to know whether guys who use “Agent Assisted Finances” also have to attend. 

Has been so last 3 yrs at least,Im exp.

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

My 1st Extension at Jomtien was last year & I had my photo taken at the Agents so didn't need to attend in person. 

Last couple years photos outside the office at soi5,bit different! 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Last couple years photos outside the office at soi5,bit different! 

Funny you should say that as she asked me to meet their representatives just inside the door to the side of the main office (IIRC it's labelled for the Elite Visa extensions)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Quick update, went to see my Agent yesterday & they’ve told me I need to meet them at Jomtien Immigration today (Office was closed yesterday) to have my photo taken so it does look like they’re tightening up the rules around attending in person this year.

Would be interesting to know whether guys who use “Agent Assisted Finances” also have to attend. 

Tough having to comply with the rules and regs., isn't it?

Time they toughen up and get rid of all the dodgy / criminal activities.

Curtailing the illegal applications for extensions can't happen quick enough as it will take the pressure of all the legitimate guys who are checked carefully and sometimes unfairly as most applicants are suspect. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Tough having to comply with the rules and regs., isn't it?

Time they toughen up and get rid of all the dodgy / criminal activities.

Curtailing the illegal applications for extensions can't happen quick enough as it will take the pressure of all the legitimate guys who are checked carefully and sometimes unfairly as most applicants are suspect. 

Lame try, stick to doing your  pension penance in Oz!! ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Lame try, stick to doing your  pension penance in Oz!! ????

Don't and didn't have to do any penance over 14 years back as I  didn't try and circumvent the system, likewise play by the rules in LOS by being smart and not making lame excuses as to why I can't / don't meet requirements. 

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not tough at all, I was used to attending CW in person & the IO taking my picture with their webcam but last year my Agent said I didn’t need to attend Jomtien & they took the photo there.

I am the sort of guy that follows rules & regulations (to the point where I attended Jomtien IO in long trousers, collared shirt & shoes) & I know ignorance of a regulation is no excuse for not following it but “This is Thailand” where we know that different IO offices follow different rules which change almost every year so it wasn’t a surprise to me that last year I didn’t have to attend & this year I did…

I also wouldn’t be too quick to push for the removal of “Agent Assisted Finance” Extensions, any one of us could find ourselves in a position where for some reason we’ve dipped below the level (thinking of guys who have a health emergency & their insurance won’t pay out or guys who run their account right on the limits such that a new debit card payment takes them below, or 1 guy who’s wife had access to his account & took out some money without realising it would screw up his extension. 

Could happen to anybody, & in circumstances like those, I think the agents offer a much needed service.  

My post wasn't aimed at you, just commenting in general as after more than 20 years you get a bit sick of all the excuses some people come up with. 

As for visits to Imm., same as you - well dressed and polite, never had any problem that wasn't easily sorted - actually last time they needed an updated copy on my bank book - "no problem I'll finish processing the paper work, drop in the updated info after lunch".

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Artisi said:

My post wasn't aimed at you, just commenting in general as after more than 20 years you get a bit sick of all the excuses some people come up with. 

As for visits to Imm., same as you - well dressed and polite, never had any problem that wasn't easily sorted - actually last time they needed an updated copy on my bank book - "no problem I'll finish processing the paper work, drop in the updated info after lunch".

So your prior rant about socalled  legit guys (look@ me) being overly  scrutinised was not correct...... lol.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not tough at all, I was used to attending CW in person & the IO taking my picture with their webcam but last year my Agent said I didn’t need to attend Jomtien & they took the photo there.

I am the sort of guy that follows rules & regulations (to the point where I attended Jomtien IO in long trousers, collared shirt & shoes) & I know ignorance of a regulation is no excuse for not following it but “This is Thailand” where we know that different IO offices follow different rules which change almost every year so it wasn’t a surprise to me that last year I didn’t have to attend & this year I did…

I also wouldn’t be too quick to push for the removal of “Agent Assisted Finance” Extensions, any one of us could find ourselves in a position where for some reason we’ve dipped below the level (thinking of guys who have a health emergency & their insurance won’t pay out or guys who run their account right on the limits such that a new debit card payment takes them below, or 1 guy who’s wife had access to his account & took out some money without realising it would screw up his extension. 

Could happen to anybody, & in circumstances like those, I think the agents offer a much needed service.  

Another one excusing corruption. No, not anyone of us can find ourselves dipping bellow the financial levels, only the foolhardy, those not planning properly or those who just should not be here anyway. Stick to the rules or clear off and stop making things harder for the rest of us.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So your prior rant about socalled  legit guys (look@ me) being overly  scrutinised was not correct...... lol.

There's second prizes.

Legit is legit no nearly legit - sounds like that's your hangup..... lol. 

2 hours ago, proton said:

Another one excusing corruption. No, not anyone of us can find ourselves dipping bellow the financial levels, only the foolhardy, those not planning properly or those who just should not be here anyway. Stick to the rules or clear off and stop making things harder for the rest of us.

Dare say making it hard will continue to be an issue for some of you then! 

3 hours ago, proton said:

No I didn't excuse corruption, I said that there were reasons why somebody could go below the 400/800K limits & there should be a process whereby they can still get their extension if this happens. 

OK so somebody letting a small unforeseen transaction take them under their limit or giving somebody else access to their Bank account could be considered stupid, but what about somebody who has to pre-pay for medical care before getting the money back from their insurance OR somebody who's victim of a bank mistake/fraud, shouldn't these guys have a legitimate channel for getting their Extension?

I know there must be a process for "legitimately" getting an Extension if your account falls below limits as Senior IO Officers have the "Power" to approve it, but I've never heard of anybody saying they went through that process & am sure we'd all appreciate it if somebody could share their experience or at least explain the process. 

Feels a bit schadenfreude to want to clamp down on people using "Agent Assisted Finance" extensions but if I'm honest, the ones that probably annoy me (slightly) are the ones who gloat that they get 5% on their 800K in their home country so it's better for them to keep the money there... No denying the maths but feels like it is taking the p155 somewhat - But they are probably the guys that according to you "Should be Here"... 

I truly hope you don't have a Medical/Bank Issue that sees your account go below the level and need to revert to an "Agent Assisted Finance" extension despite it not being your fault.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My 1st Extension at Jomtien was last year & I had my photo taken at the Agents so didn't need to attend in person. 

Yes, same same......1st extension  done by an agent in my case. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 3:46 PM, mokwit said:

Contrary to what many think, the Thai authorities don't want us to learn the language and integrate. They would prefer us confined to falang ghettos.

Where is your evidence for such a statement? Please provide a verifiable source.

I've met a number of Thai officials in various different situations, all of them seemed perfectly delighted by the fact that I could speak Thai.

2 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I always laugh when random internet nutjobs demand someone else provide "evidence" for conversational statements made on a public discussion forum.  Cracks me up every time.

I was going to cite 'Nong' in 'The Falang Bar' on soi Buakhao, who told me in broken English that she didn't want falang to learn Thai and integrate......but then I realized the guy asking for a verifiable source simply wanted to tell everyone he could speak Thai again!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1