Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Yellow Tabien Baan, need 2 witnesses?

I just received chanote and the blue tabien baan from the real estate agent. Now I should go to local land office to request the yellow house registration. I read in various sites that 2 witnesses are needed.

• Haha 1

Officially yes, 2 witnesses are needed. 

We were ok with just my Mother In Law, but had another friend 'on call' just incase the Amphur officer decided to play awkward. 

That said, that may have meant that my Wife, was also counted as one of the Witnesses. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's never going to be worth the effort for those who want to justify their choices in not making the effort to get one. 

There have been numerous derailed threads on the subject. The reality is, it's not a necessity, but can add a degree of convenience and can save you money - all of which is irrelevant to the thread, which is about 'witnesses' not the value of the book itself. 

I agree, and I hope you will agree that it was not me who brought up the value of the yellow book in the thread.

OP, to expand: I did it at the local Amphur - not sure that's what you mean by "land office". Done through an agent, who took care of witnesses and what else. Small expense, well worthy. Chiang Mai about ten years ago. Make sure that the Thai spelling of your name is consistent with other Thai documents you may have, sometimes they can be creative and use different letters.

35 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP, to expand: I did it at the local Amphur - not sure that's what you mean by "land office". Done through an agent, who took care of witnesses and what else. Small expense, well worthy. Chiang Mai about ten years ago. Make sure that the Thai spelling of your name is consistent with other Thai documents you may have, sometimes they can be creative and use different letters.

That's the alternative,take the lazy agent route, how much did they charge? 5k?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thailand J said:

As posted above, every amphur is different.

My experience was very interesting. The lady at the amphur office offered to do everything for a fee, including translation , Thai ID cards from her friends as witnesses.

how much? obviously that is why they make it difficult at some amphurs 

500B each witness, I don't even know who they were.

After I got the yellow book and was leaving, the lady told me she forgot to charge me for photocopying.

A few months later I run into her at the morning outdoor market. She told me to goto her office to get the pink card. When I got there she said pink cards are issued at district office and she will go with me to get it.

I said " no, no , no..."  forgot how many times.

I went to the district office alone, sat down, and saw her walked in. Guest what happened after I got the pink card.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thailand J said:

I went to the district office alone, sat down, and saw her walked in. Guest what happened after I got the pink card.

She said they didn't charge you for photocopying?

I would pay 2k to avoid all the unnecessary garbage, which is most of it

• Confused 1

I think I have got my money's worth.

The yellow book was useful for a few years until the Pattaya Land Transportation office decided it was no longer acceptable in lieu of Residence Cert.

I have also opened bank accounts with yellow book without Residence cert.

Now I mainly use it at immgration office as prove of address.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 8:28 PM, zhounan said:

I just received chanote and the blue tabien baan from the real estate agent. Now I should go to local land office to request the yellow house registration. I read in various sites that 2 witnesses are needed.

"2 witnesses" was clearly written on the form they gave me.

The following explanation went like this: "you need to bring 2 witnesses...yeah, I think one witness is good enough... just bring your girlfriend"

But it became later clear that the girlfriend du jour would not be sufficient,  it had to be someone who really knew a fair bit about me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya City Hall want two Thais to witness, i didn't want to waste their time dragging them up there, forget the yellow book, it's not worth the effort

I got my yellow book and I live in Pattaya, when I went to the office to ask what was needed, when it came to witnesses, only one was needed, that was about 10 years ago though, so I'm not sure of the current requirements.

As far as if it's "worth the effort",  I'd say it's 50/50.  It's nice to have and it's had some minor advantages over the years, but not a "must have".  It helps when asked for a residency certificate or when opening a bank account, and maybe sometimes when entering a national or protected park/area, but it's not a 100% fix all. 

2 hours ago, bbko said:

I got my yellow book and I live in Pattaya, when I went to the office to ask what was needed, when it came to witnesses, only one was needed, that was about 10 years ago though, so I'm not sure of the current requirements.

As far as if it's "worth the effort",  I'd say it's 50/50.  It's nice to have and it's had some minor advantages over the years, but not a "must have".  It helps when asked for a residency certificate or when opening a bank account, and maybe sometimes when entering a national or protected park/area, but it's not a 100% fix all. 

it's more difficult now, two of the ridiculous requirements are 2 people on blue book and birth certificate. Dragging two people up there for a yellow book no thanks

Screenshot_2023-08-09-04-49-55-897_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Some years ago in Pattaya, there was my wife and our next door neighbour. That did the trick. No witnesses required for the pink ID card from memory. I’d check with the Amphur just to make sure the rules haven't changed.

Bit off topic, but I find the card useful for hotel check ins, and the book for immigration.

good luck with your application.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:54 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya City Hall want two Thais to witness, i didn't want to waste their time dragging them up there, forget the yellow book, it's not worth the effort

OP, don’t believe this advice.

Yellow Tabian Baan is one of the most useful and important documents you can have as a foreigner.

(I got mine in BKK and didn’t need any witnesses.)

13 minutes ago, CecilM said:

OP, don’t believe this advice.

Yellow Tabian Baan is one of the most useful and important documents you can have as a foreigner.

(I got mine in BKK and didn’t need any witnesses.)

BKK is different to Pattaya, maybe do some research, I'll make it easy for you, look a few posts up

On 8/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, zhounan said:

Check with your local tessa ban office what is needed, there can be quite some difference from province to province.

When two witnesses are needed, it's often requested to be persons that know you well, one shall a neighbor and one shall be a government employee.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

BKK is different to Pattaya, maybe do some research, I'll make it easy for you, look a few posts up

There’s more to Thailand than Pattaya. A yellow book will help in many situations (banks, visa, driver’s license, tm30, etc).

On 8/8/2023 at 3:34 AM, arithai12 said:

Did mine in 2010 at Chonburi, no witnesses or translations required. May have helped being a new build and my wife was applyng for her blue book at the same time.

Only thing was my wife got hers the following day, I had to wait six weeks while they did a police report.

As for being beneficial, I would say getting vaccinated around 9am on the day the covid vaccine rollout started, having been placed on the vaccine register by the hospital. I was registered at the hospital with yellow book as opposed to passport.

• Thumbs Up 1