Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Welcome to Malaysia -- wear a Swatch watch go to jail

Jingthing

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I could see you saying the same about the electorate in Nazi Germany. 

Why would anyone respect people who persicute innocent minority groups?  

Yeah and it's funny not ha ha that people here are suggesting an equivalence between colored watches and the Nazi swastika / Holocaust denial.

• Thanks 1

The music festival organizers are suing the 1975 band for massive damages for breach of contract (speech plus kiss) as the oppressive Malaysian government then cancelled the festival. So of course the festival had to give refunds. Too bad they can't sue the government. 

Not sure if they can legally enforce such damages or not.

Suffice it to say that band will be less likely to be invited to countries that are persecuting LGBTQ people again.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure if they can legally enforce such damages or not.

They signed a pre-show written assurance that the band would “adhere to all local guidelines and regulations”, so they are being sued for breach of contract in the UK. There's every chance the lawsuit will be successful. I fail to understand why 1975 play concerts in places like Dubai, Malaysia or Indonesia - money I guess.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Hardly, and equating present day discrimination against the LGBTQAI+ community with the fate of the millions murdered by the Nazi is just plain wrong and offensive. I doubt any homosexuals sent to Nazi extermination camps would consider current day discrimination at all equitable to their fate! 

What Malaysia and many other countries are doing is not discrimination. 

It's persecution. 

It tells alot that you describe sending people to prison for homosexuality as discrimination. 

I did not equate.

I pointed out a parallel.

The US withdrawaling some of their best athletes because they were Jews to comply with Nazi sensitibilities was wrong.

People siding with the Malaysian government over the dissenting band at that festival is also wrong.

To add the 1936 Berlin Olympics preceeded the holocaust. 

The success of that Olympics added greatly to the internationally legitimacy of the Nazi regime.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 6:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Let the people in each country decides which laws they want to have.

And anybody who visits other countries should avoid being offensive - whatever that might be in the location which you visit. 

You would have been the perfect tourist in Germany after the Nuremburg Race Laws were passed in 1935.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

You would have been the perfect tourist in Germany after the Nuremburg Race Laws were passed in 1935.

And then there are people like you, who pretend to care.

Are you currently in one of those countries with oppressive laws and are you fighting for the rights of everybody?

Or are you relaxed in front of your computer talking about what others should do?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, Stocky said:

No, you're just expecting other countries to bend to your will. 

Science & the age of enlightenment isn't someone's personal "will'. Wether they like it or not, homosexual people exist in every country. Saying they deserve to be treated with respect like everyone else and be able to live their lives openly like everyone else isn't a personal agenda either.

Something tells me you're really not down with all the rules & laws passed in Malaysia, you're just jumping on this one.

Threatening jail over colors on a watch is indeed very dumb & paranoid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1